What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a bottle of 2010 stagg tonight. They were priced at $85 plus tax. Purchased 2 for a friend looking to give them as Christmas presents. Asked about any pappy and was told by the owner that he keeps ALL the pappy in the back and only sells it to his regulars, which he defined as people who come in at least once a week.

Since this wasn't local I obviously am not one of those people. Will probably go back by and snag the last staff if it's still there after thanksgiving.

Was dusty hunting in NYC and passed up on a handle of Wild Turkey--it was hard to see what exactly it was, but I'm pretty sure it was the 8 year, 101. Totally weird shaped bottle, strange old-looking label, about $45. I kind of wish I had picked it up now, or at least checked the year.

They also had some kind of alternate WT--an old Rare Breed, maybe--but it was all behind glass, and I was a bit shy about asking them about it.

I did not pass up on the OFBIB that has a tax strip that says distilled in 71, bottled in 76. $17 with tax!

Passed by ETL for $24, which is the best price I've ever seen.

After weeks of snagging so many bottles, including some Pappy and Stagg, I feel like I've got to cut back.

I stopped at my local store on the way home from work. Nothing piqued my interest. I passed it all up. :skep: Must be getting picky in my old age. :bs: Joe

Last time I was at my store, I passed on PVW23 for $169.99. I'm not at that buying level (yet? :)) but from what I've heard, that sounds like a good price. I did leave with GTS 2010 for $59.99 though. :cool:

Last time I was at my store, I passed on PVW23 for $169.99. I'm not at that buying level (yet? :)) but from what I've heard, that sounds like a good price. I did leave with GTS 2010 for $59.99 though. :cool:

You're right, Choice. That is a very good price on the Pappy. But, you also did very well on the Stagg at $59.99. Nice pick.

Yep, Alabama sucks. I am in the wrong state, was this in PA? I am heading over to Atlanta the first weekend of December and I am keeping my fingers crossed on some Stagg and Pappy.

Yep, Alabama sucks. I am in the wrong state, was this in PA? I am heading over to Atlanta the first weekend of December and I am keeping my fingers crossed on some Stagg and Pappy.

Actually, it was in South Jersey...just across the bridge from Philly.

I passed again on a WT Tradition. I just can't pull the trigger at $121.

I passed on tradition at $115 and Woodford Master at $86 but picked up a Russell Reserve 10yr 90 proof for $35

Pappy 23 for $339.99? Couldn't believe it. Another store was selling 2010 Saz and Handy for $99.99, yet had a Weller 12 for $18.49. Go figure. (yes I bought the Weller, had to for that price)

Gary

Passed up quite a few today:

ER17 - 89.99

SAZ18 - 89.99

Handy - 99.99

Stagg - 99.99

Weller - 119.99

Pappy 15 - 89.99

Lot B - 49.99

VWFRR - 59.99

PVW23 - 209.99

As well as a bunch of others at outstanding prices.

While shopping for beer over the holiday weekend at a local spirits shop, I passed on the 2010 BTAC, ORVW 10/107 and JPS 17 yr. The JPS has been sitting on the same shelf for months and has a layer of dust on them. The BTAC were $70 each and this is the first year I'm not putting any down in the bunker. The ORVW was $40 so I passed since I have 3 or 4 in the bunker. Walked out with beer only (Southern Tier Mokah and Sam Smith winter seasonal) and I'm ok with that.

While visiting my parents for the holidays, I left the 3 PH first release, 27 yo PH, Pappy 20, lot B, WRMC 4grain, and WRMC sonoma. I did grab the ORVW 10yo107, pappy 15, and MM 1997 UT championship 1L. I'll probably grab the 20 at Christmas if it is still there. tim

Passed on a lot of great bottles, just getting a little too pricey.

ORVW 10/90 @ $34.99, 2 bottles

Lot B @ $54.99, 8 bottles

PVW 15 @ $69.99, 6 bottles

PVW 23 @ $229.99 1 bottle

2010 BTAC all @ $79.99

GTS, 6 bottles

WLW, 5 bottles

ER 17, 9 bottles

Saz 18, 6 bottles

Handy, 6 bottles

Last year at this time, I paid $59.99 each for all of the 2009 BTAC, $69.99 for PVW 20, $48.99 for PVW 15 and $27.99 for ORVW 10/107 at this same store. I'm glad I bought all they had.

Anyway, I sure all of these will all be gone in a week, well maybe not the ER 17 and the Handy.

Jim

I picked up a bottle of VW Rye for about $50 but passed on the rest of the VW collection. PVW 15 was priced at $69.99, but I could have gotten 20% off of that, making it pretty reasonable. I have a bottle at home though.

I did a double take, but then passed on 3 bottles of 2008 Larue. Very unusual for that to be sitting anywhere around the MSP area! Same place had some '09 Saz18 and '10 ER17.... And the USUAL entire row of Handy from the past year or more.

A couple bottles of Bourbon Supreme with faux tax stamps. Really glad I skipped this after reading some of the reviews on here. Sounds like one of the worst ever.

1.75 Old Taylor 86 proof from 1983, I think. May go back for this, depending on whether the consensus around here is that it's safe, etc. (see my other post in the "collectibles" forum).

8yo Old Charter with the old label (the age statement stamped across the label)

A couple more bottles of WT CGF 12yo that I just couldn't fit into the budget today--I will be going back for these unless somebody beats me to them.

How could you pass up those CGF 12's? I think you should be doing your part to stimulate the economy or give me the change to stimulate it for you.

What are credit cards for anyhow?:grin: :drinking:

How could you pass up those CGF 12's? I think you should be doing your part to stimulate the economy or give me the change to stimulate it for you.

It was tough but the bourbon collection has expanded rapidly the last couple months between the release of the BTAC and finally finding dusties. I've been lucky with the dusties, mostly due to improving my searching technique and heading further out in the state. Those cheesy turkeys will get a good home soon enough. :)

It was tough but the bourbon collection has expanded rapidly the last couple months between the release of the BTAC and finally finding dusties. I've been lucky with the dusties, mostly due to improving my searching technique and heading further out in the state. Those cheesy turkeys will get a good home soon enough. :)

After the last few days, they now have a home. I did, however, pass up several things:

1) BHC Dickel and Harper -- same bottles I've mentioned before. If I thought I had a chance at an OC Prop. Reserve and Weller Cent, I'd pick them up just to get the whole BHC.

2) Baker's in what I think is an old label. Mostly beige background, black letters.

3) Virginia Gentlman 80 proof

4) PVW 15yo at $59.99. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on that one when I got two bottles last year for $50.

5) PVW 20yo at $109. Not a bad price, I guess, but I can't stand paying that much for it when it was only $50 or at the beginning of this decade.

6) WTRR101. This one was tough, but it was priced at $100! The guy offered me a deal on at $89, but that still seemed high. It was signed, so I guess he thought it was much more valuable that way (or I'm really off base in what I think a bottle of that should go for).

After the last few days, they now have a home. I did, however, pass up several things:

1) BHC Dickel and Harper -- same bottles I've mentioned before. If I thought I had a chance at an OC Prop. Reserve and Weller Cent, I'd pick them up just to get the whole BHC.

2) Baker's in what I think is an old label. Mostly beige background, black letters.

3) Virginia Gentlman 80 proof

4) PVW 15yo at $59.99. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on that one when I got two bottles last year for $50.

5) PVW 20yo at $109. Not a bad price, I guess, but I can't stand paying that much for it when it was only $50 or at the beginning of this decade.

6) WTRR101. This one was tough, but it was priced at $100! The guy offered me a deal on at $89, but that still seemed high. It was signed, so I guess he thought it was much more valuable that way (or I'm really off base in what I think a bottle of that should go for).

1) I may have grabbed them just because.

2) May have been worth it to compare to a new bottling

3) I like the 90 proofer better, probably would have passed too.

4) Ouch. I'd compare it to replacement value and 59 isn't a bad price, IMO.

5) I don't drink enough of it to have to replace the ones I have put away by paying 109.

6) 100 bucks is nuts, so is 89.

OWA 7/107 with the gold veins.

AA100.

I passed them up because the owner told me they weren't for sale. Chatted with him some. Maybe next time I'm in, I can convince him to let me make him an offer.

BTW, is the AA100 still distributed in the US? The shop owner said it was Japan only now, and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen any in a store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.