What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I left a Beams Choice 8/80 from the late 70s or early 80s. Just can't see paying $25 for that low of proof.

Passed on a bottle (in a dusty box) of OGD 114, priced at $49.99.

Drove down the road two miles and picked one up for $25.99

I said "Thanks but no thanks" to 2 bottles of VWFRR. It is one of my favorite whiskies, but $74 is pretty steep. I've often wondered at what point VWFRR would become too expensive for me, and I got my answer today. Seventy-four dollars.

I have a good relationship with the store owner and I asked why he's charging so much for the VWFRR (and 2010 BTAC at $94 a bottle). He said, "people will pay it." I guess I can't argue.

Once the buying public accepts the higher price then that becomes the norm. I remember guys complaining when Jack Daniels got up to $7.49 a fifth.

Pappy Van Winkle

15 Year ...$129.99

20 Year ...$225.99

I like Pappy, but wow!

You should have told the owner where to stuff his winkle.

Pappy Van Winkle

15 Year ...$129.99

20 Year ...$225.99

I like Pappy, but wow!

That's one smart businessman, but a terrible friend.

Passed up an '08 ER17 and a Lot B from '08. Also passed up a BMH 11 and 14yr - I think I'll go back for the BMH in the next week or so as I really liked the older BMH age dated juice.

Pappy Van Winkle

15 Year ...$129.99

20 Year ...$225.99

I like Pappy, but wow!

I would pass as well. Although... I'd bet that these will be bargain prices in the near future.

Pappy Van Winkle

15 Year ...$129.99

20 Year ...$225.99

I like Pappy, but wow!

It was in another state. I can somewhat understand jacking up the PVW 15 prices because it is fairly difficult to find. However, here in MD, the 20 year is readily available for $95-$110 so what's up with the markup?

I went with the short story, here is the complete version for your amusement....

We have the following in stock at the *********** (ed) location:

12 Year ...$99.99

15 Year ...$129.99

20 Year ...$225.99

There is a "qualifier", in order to buy a bottle of these allocated spirits, the company required us to purchase some of their other products. We pass on this same requirement so that we can continue to repurchase Pappy and have it available for our customers.

You must purchase any two bottles of the following items for every bottle of Pappy:

Buffalo Trace White dog Mash#1 375ml ...... $19.99

Buffalo Trace Straight Bourbon Whiskey 750ml ...... $29.99

Platinum 7x Vodka 1.75ml ...... $17.99

Rain Vodka (regular and all flavors) 750ml ...... $19.99

Maybe you can edit your post and put the name of the establishment in?

This is a case where I'm sure others would be happy to know to steer clear of establishments with these sorts of absurd pricing and policies.

Stopped today to pick up a bottle of EWSB 2000. Really wanted to try it because of all the good things I have read about it, but the $34.99 + tax seemed too high. What do you all think of that price ?

Stopped today to pick up a bottle of EWSB 2000. Really wanted to try it because of all the good things I have read about it, but the $34.99 + tax seemed too high. What do you all think of that price ?

I think you made a good decision, that's way too high. I wouldn't pay a cent over $25. Most places around me are selling it between $21-25.

I think you made a good decision, that's way too high. I wouldn't pay a cent over $25. Most places around me are selling it between $21-25.

It's $29.95 here in WA.

I don't know where in TN you're located but I'm in Chattanooga and it goes for $24.99-$28.95 around town. I would have passed at $35 as well.

"What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter 2011"

Breakfast. I was attacked by a Whistle Pig last night and I've got a serious woodpecker trapped in my head this morning. Off to fry up tons of bacon, eggs and toast...:frown:

I don't know where in TN you're located but I'm in Chattanooga and it goes for $24.99-$28.95 around town. I would have passed at $35 as well.

I am in Franklin. It was at Red Dog Wine and Spirits which is not where I usually shop.

Did a little hunting/shopping yesterday and passed up:

2010, WLW, THH, ER17

Pappy 20

2010 PHC

PHC Golden Anniv.

Baby Hudson

I am in Franklin. It was at Red Dog Wine and Spirits which is not where I usually shop.

There's a pretty solid store over by Green Hills mall in nashville that has a great selection of expensive and inexpensive bourbons. Whenever I go visit my brother in nashville i always swing by there. It's where I found Stagg, Pappy 15 and some other harder to find selections.

In Vegas for the weekend. Even though I'm (at least for the moment) playing with the house's money, I passed on the ORVW 23 @ $63 / drink. Went with thr PHC Anniversary instead.

Found a Lot B still on the shelf in Louisville for $55, but let it sit. Got an EC18 since I had never had it before and I'm glad I did.

Left Handy's, ER17 and a few Staggs behind at Va. ABC....

Um, what was the price on those Stagg's?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.