What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since the solstice has rolled on past, I'm kicking off Winter with a pour of Four Roses SB from the Hightower/Curtis selection.

This is my fave FRSB, hands down, no contest.

Nothing tonight - ack!! what's wrong? and it was too cloudy to see the solstice lunar eclipse, but no worries since I only have to wait about 84 years to see the next one on winter solstice. I'll stock up stagg to enjoy while watching the next one.

Just finished making my yearly Holiday bottle of Candy Cane Infused Bourbon. This year it was Bulliet. Before dumping in the candy canes, I poured, and am sipping, on a nice and neat Bulliet. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and the first sip of the Holiday Brew.

Drinking my first sips of 2010 GTS. First taste was straight. It was a bit (ok, a lot) too much, so I added a few drops of water. So far, I like it a lot!

Weller 12

But I'd prefer to be sipping on the Oscar&Tony selection. Is that the same bottle you mistakenly let me into at the birthday party?

Weller 12

But I'd prefer to be sipping on the Oscar&Tony selection. Is that the same bottle you mistakenly let me into at the birthday party?

Yes, same one. It got shuffled back in the cabinet and I forgot that it was open.

Spent the night chatting with a few of the guys in the Gazebo...while there I sampled pours of Julio's RHF 2010, FR Mariage 09, and R/E Willet 7yr...good stuff all around but the R/E Willet just had that special something going on! I wish this stuff was available all the time as I'm sure the 3 bottles I was able to score are going to go fast! :(

Last night the son in law and I worked our way through pours of Handy, Stagg, '80's Old Taylor, and Black Maple Hill 21yr and Ezra B 12yr. It was a pleasant evening by the fire.

Well, nothing right now being only 11:30 in the morning, however last night I had a pour of some kind of Scotch, which reminded of why I like bourbon so much. I promptly had a couple pours of George Dickel No. 12. My staff gave me a bottle of Wathen's Single Barrel as a Christmas gift which I've been enjoying as well. Still in my regular rotation is Weller's Antique, Weller's SR, Jim Beam Black and Old Rip Van Winkle (107). Occasionally I have a pour of WL Weller Barrel Proof when I want a treat.

I had a really beautiful pour of Russell's Reserve 10/101 last night. What an excellent whiskey! I sure wish the current RR 90 proof was half as good.

I think I have officially quit drinking bourbon, for the most part....I am now pretty much a 95% of the time rye guy...so now that it's available, I have been working through my first of 12 Rittenhouse bottles....though I did have some WLW 2010 yesterday.....

My main pours in December, so far - Old Potrero Single Malt Rye, Rittenhouse BiB, Saz 18.....oh my GOD, do I love Saz 18.

I would marry Saz 18 if it were legal.

I moved at the beginning of this month. Broke one full decanter and knocked the top off another in the process. With another move coming up in about a year, I decided it was time to rid myself of these fragile and oddly-shaped containers.

Rounded up some empties and transferred 2 WT 8yr ("Flags" and "Strutting"), 2 Jim Beam 86 proof (110 months and 110 months) and a ER 101 (#1).

The juice from the Strutting decanter is marvelously dark and the little that I tasted off my fingers as I poured it was amazing! So sweet, fruity and rich. This will be one that I pour sparingly. The Flags decanter is several shades lighter and tastes a little more along the lines of current WT amped up a couple notches. Still very good, but probably not an all-timer.

The ER101 is also a winner with a very limited sampling. This is the first ER101 I've tasted so I don't have any comparative benchmark.

The JB 100 is decent, probably much better than the current but nothing to go nuts over. The cork on the JB 110 was a queasy-looking greenish-gray but the booze is clear and the smell is within range of what I'd expect. I am going to let this one sit a while before I take some very small sips.

I've got a couple more to go, including S/W Cabin Still and Old Fitz. Just waiting on some empties and to locate them in the mess of boxes.

A dallop from the candy cane infused Bulliet that I made last night. Very, very, nice.

Coupla things on this: 1) Although, it's OK either way, I prefer it with an ice cube. 2) If you make this, drink it somewhat quickly, as it really starts to look funky after a few weeks. 3) Don't overdo the candy canes. D) I think that heavy rye bourbons work better.

A flight of BT single barrels at Julio's:

• Old Weller Antique
  • Buffalo Trace(!)
  • Elmer T. Lee
  • Rock Hill Farms (cherry monster part II!)
  • Baby Saz
  • Willett 6yo 122pf

Topped off with a healthy pour from my bottle of the Loch & K(e)y OWA when I got home.

PHC '09. I expected a lot out of this bottle and it delivered abundantly. Just ... wow!

This was the only bottle on my wish list that my store could find for me. Imagine that, the most expensive one.:rolleyes:

Hopefully I can keep this bottle for a while. It deserves savoring.

Managed to find another decanter stash an an empty, This time Old Fitz Prime, 1971. 86.8 proof, 8 year. This one here:

il_fullxfull.82982165.jpg

Here's tasting notes based on one pour.

Color: Medium amber.

Nose: Massive brown sugar, caramel corn, maple syrup, vanilla notes. Minimal if any alcohol. Smells so good that I almost don't want to taste it...almost.

Taste: Not quite as good as the nose, but that's quibbling. Thick and sweet, with maple/brown sugar intertwining with an earthy nuttiness. Sweetness wins the day and the finish shows real staying power. Alcohol balance about right, maybe a touch hot for a sub-90 proofer but just maybe.

Conclusion: If this was on the shelves today, I'd be hard pressed to ever buy anything else. As a staunch supporter of bigger proof bottlings, the amount of flavor and aroma coming out of this at 86.8 is amazing! Get one if you can!

Went back to the OCPR last night and am struggling to preserve a little in the bottle. I love it and it's getting dangerously low!:bigeyes:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!