What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had a few small pours from some open bottles that I haven't tried in a while. FRSmB, Bulleit, EC12 and 1792. The FR didn't taste good at all, Bulleit was ok, EC12 was great, and 1792 was pretty good.

ERSB has been one of my favorites but I was really put off earlier this year when I bought 2 1.75's on sale and both were just terrible, like cough medicine. I just tasted the bit I had left and it's still terrible. I love the BTAC version and wish I still had confidence in the SB.

OF Signature and a nice pour of OF Birthday 2007. Despite the Bears' loss to the Packers today, it was a good afternoon of football and bourbon.

I had some 13 y uncut HH distilled right before the fire and bottled Cadenheads both before and after dinner. Than later WTKS with some plain ice cream, witch actually turned out to be American (Tom and Jerry). After that I had a neat pour of WLW 2008 while watching a Stones concert on television.

Leif

I currently have several open bottles, and I am jumping between them trying to look for the flavors I am hearing about on here, and it is going pretty well.

OGD 100 BIB; Weller Antique 107; Bulleit; ERSB; Rebel Reserve; MM and a few others. At this point for a neat pour I prefer the ERSB or Bulleit, but I have discovered that a light application of water really makes a wheater work for me pretty well.

All in all it is just great to have some time off so I can be drinking bourbon, but I will have to make a field trip to somewhere without state controlled stores soon to find a better variety.

A little bit of Fighting Cock and Mountain Dew while playing cards and watching football on the last day of break before work.

Trying to come up with a clever name for this drink and we can't get past "Cock a Doodle Dew"

A little bit of Fighting Cock and Mountain Dew while playing cards and watching football on the last day of break before work.

Trying to come up with a clever name for this drink and we can't get past "Cock a Doodle Dew"

:lol::lol:

Hey, Dawg. Can't say I would like the drink, but that's a great name ya'll gave it! I hope you're getting good cards.

:toast:

Yikes, that's a helluva drink. Reminded me of a night in high school when all I could steal from the house was Tequila and root beer. It wasn't so bad after the first 20 ounces... :lol:

Old Weller Antique Single Barrel 8yo 107prf, neat with some raspberry chocolate squares.

May the Holidaze never end.

A gentle pour of a Fairfield Distillery Henry McKenna 6 yr 86 proof to finish up a day lounging around the crib, before heading back to slaving for the man, tomorrow. This is a very clean and bright whiskey.

A little Weller 12 while finishing up some evening work. I need to finish soon so I can catch the UK game...

Thoroughly enjoying some new versions of "Tom Sawyer" whitwashing the fence, and "The Dog Ate My Homework", with a healthy pour of 2004 George T. Stagg. :yum:

A little OGD 114 as I watch the Orange Bowl. Sad to think another college football season is nearing its end.

Sipping Lot B, and feeling good about the way Lovie Smith calls time-outs. (I say this because SB seems to be 60% Illinois flatlanders.):grin: :grin:

I had 2 small pours of 86,8 Dickel 8 and BS before dinner yesterday. I don’t know what to think of the old-timer. It’s very pungent and has a big body for any 86 proof whiskey, but the Tennessee flavours are pretty well hidden. Old trusty WT 8 export with the last Tom and Jerry ice-cream for desert.

Leif

Can't wait to see what you think about this bottle...I grabbed a bunch of them based on Reid's review...:)

ETL 15yo 1B, neat.

This ETL 15yo 1B is unique, it is both elegant and subtle.

At first I mistook it for another narrow flavored ETL but this seems to have a charming effect on both the nose and the palate.

It is not an in yo face big bold bourbon, you have to take it real slow on both the smell and taste.

It would be easy to dismiss it at first but sip slow and wait and you'll find it's secrets.

I am amazed at the lack of wood in both the nose and taste for a 15yo ryed bourbon.

I only got one bottle so I am going to savor this at those special moments times.

Like Reid said it has it all spice, cherry, cocoa, vanilla, carmel toffee but none steal the show, all very balanced, over all a very balanced whiskey. All flavors are subtle and lurking in the background, hence the suggestion to take it slow when you have the time to spend.

I'll go along with his rating, 85-89 very good to above average, but I think there will be times in the future that I would kick it up a few notches.

Now then, with all that said I will not drink this bourbon the way Elmer T Lee prefers his bourbon and that is mixed with 7-Up or Sprite.

Sorry Elmer, I'll be sipping neat and leave the 7&7's to the local yokels.

Uncut 13 Y HH from Cadenheads before dinner and Rittenhouse BIB after. I did try the HH with water as well, but I think it is better neat.

Leif

Also sipping the ETL 15 yo SB --- while reading the new FR book. What a great combination!

Started with a Willett Pot Still Reserve after a looooooooong day at work. Enjoyed a Jefferson's VSB as I was heating up the venison chili for dinner. The after dinner drink of choice is Rock Hill Farms.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!