What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Going to go with Birthday Bourbon's tonight...starting with a 2002 then I'll hit the 2006 and finish with the 2007...all while watching Elf! :)

Bonded Grand Dad. I know some view special bottles for special occasions but I prefer a brand that connects me to Christmases past.

All over the map today. For bourbon, '06 OWA and a early 70's Cream of KY. Also enjoyed a Redbreast 15 year and a Yamazaki 12 year. Good day for whiskey. Merry Christmas.

It's gonna be a Weller night tonight. :cool: Gonna start with a pour of Everett's Weller SR. Then we'll see what that leads to. :grin: Cheers! Joe

All over the map today. For bourbon, '06 OWA and a early 70's Cream of KY. Also enjoyed a Redbreast 15 year and a Yamazaki 12 year. Good day for whiskey. Merry Christmas.

Kept it simple last night. We had a small pour of Pappy 15 after dinner but I switched over to EC12 and a snort of FRSB after all the guests left. All were fine, especially the Four Roses.

... Then I decided to open a Binny's Weller 12. I haven't had one of those in a while. :yum: Looks like I won't make it past the Binny's Weller 12. :grin: Joe

I opened one too and myself just had one very modest pour but somehow half the bottle is gone. I wonder how my brother is feeling this morning?:lol: And there was also Rebel Yell (1981), Stagg (2009) and ORVW-107 (2010) with this latest ORVW certainly made from some outstanding barrels. A brother in law was also mighty happy with his request for extra sweet Manhattans, Heaven Hill BIB helping that along.

Christmas evening pour was William Larue Weller Barrel Strength in one of the Glencarin Whiskey glasses I give my Father-in-Law. He had MacCallan 12 scotch.

Last weekend (Sat. Dec. 19th) I had for the first time Evan Williams Black. Seems odd that it would take this long but I just kept overlooking it. My impression was similiar to many on the BOTM thread. Not at all harsh, good flavor, short finish. I was drinking only Pikesville rye 80 (as far as American) in the weeks preceeding it and it still seemed a little lighter than that.

I ended up overdoing it a little and while doing so a sort of buttery taste began to accumulate that I enjoyed very much. I think I remember that same impression from my first bottle of EC12.

As said before it is a very good value. I imagine that if I had been drinking only a 100 proof or higher, it might have been too light.

Just arrived home from a Christmas dinner with the wife's side of the family. Very nice and a good time, decided I needed to unwind a bit with a nice pour of some Old Fitz barreled 65 bottled 72 BIB... while reading a thread stating this stuff is all gone? Seems I found some, oh well...enjoy!

Cheers!

Tony

I had Dickel barrel select and 86,8 proof number 8 before another rematch with the Christmas table last night. I can’t find any date on the old-timer, but I think it’s from the 70-is. There are much more bourbon like flavours in the old-timer for sure.

Than some ORVW 15 with the hazelnut cake and the almond/ orange/chocolate cookie for dessert. All whiskey tasted excellent last night, as did the Christmas food and all drinks with it.

Leif

Just having returned home and taking care of car problems, visiting family, and still "on the road" all I have is the bottle of Eagle Rare SB my lovin' wife brought along. I have been throughly enjoying it after 9 months of forced temperance, in fact I am enjoying my morning coffee with a shot right now.

I did get to the Party Source and ordered 1 2010 GTS; 1 OLD RIP VAN WINKLE 10 YEAR 107; 1 2010 THOMAS H. HANDY RYE which I will have when I get home.

Trying the Buck bourbon I got for Christmas. Nothing really wrong with it except I would describe it as "thin". Kind of a hint of citrus (lemon perhaps?). Makes me wonder if it is actually HH juice. It tastes like a high rye bourbon to my untrained palate. Much more spice than sweetness despite the lemony nose.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!