What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had 86,4 Woodford before dinner yesterday and ORVW 10/107 with the almond cookie for dessert. The WR was very heavy indeed on vanilla and had a pleasant fruitiness in the background. Very good compared with the proof. Maybe I got a lucky bottle?

Leif

Went with the FRSB last night while watching the Saints-Falcons game. Still loving every drop of that juice and couldn't believe the terrific aroma I was getting off the glass even after the whiskey was gone. That was one beautiful barrel!

2010 WLarueW, neat.

I opened it up on Christmas Eve and I gotta say I'm a little disapointed.

Of the six barrel proof Larue's this 2010 is my least favorite.

It helps to let it sit for about 15 minutes after you pour it, it's kinda hot.

The air opens the nose up which btw is it's best part, and I pivck up a little Kraft carmel kiss aroma.

Unlike last year's Larue which I thought was hot also you could cut it down to about 115prf and it was one of the best Larue's.

Water doesn't seem to help this one but I will press on and find it's sweet spot.

Enjoying some older Old Taylor (early 80's, I think) tonight to celebrate paying off my mortgage today. After leaving the bank, my wife and I went out for dinner to a resturant that had the JB Small Batch stuff, so I ordered a Baker's. Really like that one, but once I got home it was time to bring out my favorite. IMHO, you just can't beat that Old Taylor!

Gary

Great night! Friends are in town from Tenn. who knew I coveted VOB BIB, as it it not available here, so they brought it as a holiday gift. It's as solid as everyone here has said. Lovin' it. I'd swim in the stuff if it was available in WI.

Plus, as they were shocked that I was so hot for such an inexpensive bottle, they also bought me a Lot B. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Enjoying some older Old Taylor (early 80's, I think) tonight to celebrate paying off my mortgage today.

Congrats, Gary. I hope I get there one day. :bowdown:

I've been on a Wild Turkey kick the last two nights. Plenty of WT101, Rare Breed, and tonight a little CGF to celebrate being $300 richer for winning my fantasy football league. :cool:

I had Beam 6 grains before dinner yesterday and Stagg 2009 and ORVW 15 after. The last Christmas cookies with almonds, orange and black chocolate went down with the wheater.

The uncut brand really found the spot last night.

Leif

2010 WLarueW, neat.

I opened it up on Christmas Eve and I gotta say I'm a little disapointed.

Of the six barrel proof Larue's this 2010 is my least favorite.

It helps to let it sit for about 15 minutes after you pour it, it's kinda hot.

The air opens the nose up which btw is it's best part, and I pivck up a little Kraft carmel kiss aroma.

Unlike last year's Larue which I thought was hot also you could cut it down to about 115prf and it was one of the best Larue's.

Water doesn't seem to help this one but I will press on and find it's sweet spot.

Only had a quick taste, but I kinda agree with you. Certainly with the overall impression that this is not one of the better WLW releases.

Further tasting will be necessary...:cool:

I started with a '10 WLarureW neat, then cut one down to 115prf, cut another one down to 85prf none of them worked for me.

Tried a splash of Old Charter Propriertor's Reserve, neat, OK but it didn't thrill me.

I poured some Bulleit from a 375ml I picked up last week to check out it's current taste and BINGO we have a winner.

I now wish I would have gotten the 750ml bottle.

5 straight hours of Illinois sports between the Texas Bowl and the Illini-Iowa Big Ten opener. Started with Corner Creek. Then Willet Pot Still Reserve. Four Roses Singel barrell. I'm thinking Lot B next. Go Illini!!!

I just continue to be wowed by this Maker's 46. I'm not sure what to think when people say they see only a little difference between this and regular Maker's (Which I think is a terrific bourbon, in it's own right, BTW.). This 46 is almost rye like, rather than wheated. Wonderful bourbon.

I had WTKS before dinner yesterday and Dickel bc with the lime truffles after. Despite being more punchy the Turkey reminded me of quit a bit of the Woodford a had the day before with its intense vanilla.

Leif

Oscar - was the OCPR slope or english? I've found the slope to be quite a bit better.

It was the Louisville slope shoulder.

It is a fine bottle of whiskey but yesterday it wasn't doing it for me.

A few days ago I had to force myself to stop because it tasted so good.

I get like that on some days, as you saw the Bulleit did the trick yesterday, powerful in your face spice.

I think I needed a jump start because I am totally exhusted from the holidaze, been going non-stop since Monday the 20th.

OK then, today I am sipping some Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat.

I've never been let down by a Turkey.

Went digging through the bunker, and uncovered a long-forgotten Everett's Weller 12 that some SB'ers came across a number of years ago. Enjoying a pour, now, while watching more college bowl games.

86,8 old-time Dickel 8 plus BS before dinner and my vanilla stuffed Woodford with the light yoghurt panacotta with blueberry topping for dessert. Very big difference in the 2 Dickels. Its about the same as comparing new and old OGD. The Tennessee flavours are quit a bit hidden behind the red layer flavours from the old-timer.

The dessert whiskey matched perfectly!

Leif

In about an hour I'm headed to the Chapeze House in Bardstown for a bourbon tasting and dinner. I'll post up what was on the menu when I get back.

I've been sippin on WLW 12 yr and Rittenhouse BIB Rye. These are my first bottles of both and they are maybe the best value whiskey's I've tried. I never would have bought these had it not been for everyone's input that I've read. Thanks a bunch!:thankyousign:

I've been sippin on WLW 12 yr and Rittenhouse BIB Rye. These are my first bottles of both and they are maybe the best value whiskey's I've tried. I never would have bought these had it not been for everyone's input that I've read. Thanks a bunch!:thankyousign:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!