What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2011

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ER101 or the 10/90 Scott?

I smashed out some VBT 310 and then went top the dark side with sopme Abu'nadh

Last night I had some Makers on ice.... or more specifically one of the ice balls from the latest MM Xmas gift.

ER101 or the 10/90 Scott?

I smashed out some VBT 310 and then went top the dark side with sopme Abu'nadh

10/90 Morgan! If it was ER101 I would have been greedy!

Scott

Last night I enjoyed some Basil Hayden neat, followed by a pour of Bakers over ice..... perfect on a hot summer evening :grin:

I just ordered an ER101 in for Cam. Retailing at $65.99

If anyone needs any, let me know. Taking customs duty, shipping and GST into account, not a bad price. 700ml bottles.

Tonight I had some Jim Beam Barrel Bonded - a toast to my mate Jared for his birthday, Jefferson's Reserve Very Old 15yo and some Wild Turkey American Spirit.

Scott

Ohhh Jefferson's Reserve.... being dying to try that.

Pity I'm on the other side of the country Scott otherwise I'd take you up on your offer.

Inspired by Gary winning BOTY, last night I tried a little vatting experiment by combining a measure of Basil Hayden with a measure of Bookers. I can't explain exactly what I got, and am not sure I'd do it again, but my theory was that the BH would lower the proof of the Bookers and add a specific Rye eliment to the taste. Unfortunately all I could taste was the Bookers so I think the ratio's need to be adjusted :skep:

Nice one Cam. I've never been game to try any vatting. Possibly the Bookers was too robust for the Basil Hayden.

I'm off tonight to see Return to Forever - celebrating this occasion with Rit BIB and 23 Year Old.

Last night I had some 1994 Wild Turkey 12yo Gold Foil. Never fails to impress me, followed by Pappy 20. Nuff said!!

Ohhh Jefferson's Reserve.... being dying to try that.

Pity I'm on the other side of the country Scott otherwise I'd take you up on your offer.

If it's Eagle Rare you're after, I can post it.....no major drama. I spend plenty of time at the post office!

Cheers

Scott

Cam and I enjoyed a few last night. Along with our families we went to Outback Jacks steakhouse for dinner, we then came back to my place for dessert, and a bourbon or 2. :grin:

First we had KBS Weller 12s (Barrel of the Year and "The 4th barrel") - bottles that Cliff brought over to Australia with him :toast: Cheers Cliff!!, 1994 WT12 Gold Foil, Pappy 20, Pappy 23, 1980s Makers Mark 101 proof gold wax, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Old Fitz 1849, and side-by side sampling of Evan WIlliams Honey Reserve, Wild Turkey Liqueur with Honey & Wild Turkey Amercan Honey. The old style WT honey liqueur was the hands down winner, but all were good.

A great night!

Now I have to go to work!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
First we had KBS Weller 12s (Barrel of the Year and "The 4th barrel") - bottles that Cliff brought over to Australia with him :toast: Cheers Cliff!!

Hey! You're welcome. I am seriously behind in reading the threads and just saw this. Glad you guys enjoyed the 2005 KBS Weller 12s. Jeff Yeast and I enjoyed some in Louisville this past weekend. Outstanding whiskey.

We're looking at doing a ETL shootout sometime soon. We'll put a KBS Barrel of the Year up against a Barrel C, and I think a Binnys Selection and a standard bottle. Should be fun.

Last night (while watching Sons of Anarchy) I had a pour of Pappy 15, followed by a generous pour of Lot B. I finished the evening off with a splash of Evan Williams Honey Liquor in the glass mixed with the dregs of the Lot B.... Wow! What a difference that made. It seemed to smooth the liquor out and give it a depth I hadn't noticed before. The honey was still prominent, but the whiskey changed to a smoother, sweeter tasting bourbon.

We're looking at doing a ETL shootout sometime soon. We'll put a KBS Barrel of the Year up against a Barrel C, and I think a Binnys Selection and a standard bottle. Should be fun.

It's really fun to do blind taste tests. I put the bottles in identical brown paper bags, tape the top of the bag to prevent cheating, mark the bags, and then pour into marked glasses. It's a blast to tear off the paper bags after comparisons are made to see which bourbon was in each bag!

Lookin back through all the posts us Aussies seem to get some great Bourbon down under, whether by hook or by crook.

Last night some Hazelburn 8 YO single malt followed by Woodforde Reserve Seasoned Oak Finish.

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoying some Kentucky Tavern from the 80s which has a surprisingly great lengthy caramel taste followed by some Weller 7. :drinking:

I regressed to my teenage years this week and bought 6 cans of Jim Beam and Cola RTD's ..... two of which went very well with out duck pasta last night.:skep:

I don't know what duck pasta is but I would have to bet it's the other way around, meaning that I'd say it even made the Beam tatse good.

• 6 months later...

Hello fellow Australian bourbon-files - decided to revive this thread as we're well into the next spring/summer with our first significant electrical storm of the season ending with an absolutely beautifully clear day, in Brisbane anyway.

Tonight's libations have started with the very popular and wonderful

90 proof Buffalo Trace

followed by a 10yr Russell's Reserve 101 proof,

an ample pour of 2010 George T Stagg

followed by a 1964 8yo 86 proof Old Kentucky Tavern

and finishing off with an absolutely outstanding 1966 6yo 100 proof Stitzel Weller Venetian Decanter Old Fitzgerald.

Let us know what you've all been enjoying too. Cheers! :yum:

Not quite as fancy as yours Tym, but tonight I enjoyed a few pours or Jim Beam Black 8yo....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.