Pappy fall allocation

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm just glad I know how to answer the question when the liquor store clerk inquires as to whether I'm worthy of purchasing a bottle of Pappy with, "Are you a god?"

That's awesome :) I start every day* by asking myself that question in the mirror and going, "Yes!" Pumps me up!!!

(* BS - in real life I try not to look in the mirror in the morning...)

There is no Julian, only Zul...

No, there is a Julian, he's the guy that waters down excellent S-W bourbon beyond recognition.

No, there is a Julian, he's the guy that waters down excellent S-W bourbon beyond recognition.

LOL!

Seriously though: Are you the gatekeeper?

All right, who brought the dog?

Oscar would be happy if he would just bump the 20 and 23 to 100 proof at a minimum...is that too much to ask?

Oscar would be happy if he would just bump the 20 and 23 to 100 proof at a minimum...is that too much to ask?

Not to much to ask at all to me.

But I would say it is way way to much to ask of JVW III, it seems to me that he loves to water down excellent bourbon beyond recognignition.

I would like to see these ultra exclusive releases be soley distributed through a single on-line retailer (like TPS.) In doing so, the product would become much more evenly distributed. If you really want to reach your fan base, this is the strategy that you would employ.

But then states with huge whiskey loving populations - like Texas, Pennsylvania & Mass -as just some examples - would never get any, because 95% of online retailers won't ship liquor to them.

There's really only about a dozen or two states that are fully "free and clear" for mail order of booze (Binny's, The Party Source, K&L, Shoppers Vineyards all keep different "no ship" lists - and sadly Texas is on nearly all of them).

the problem is with the three-tier system, and state-level control of liquor. Each state has their own rules, and the only control the distiller has is which states it will (or won't) ship to, and how much they'll send - after that, it's in the distributors hands to decide what stores will get it, and then it's up to the store (or their corporate office) to decide who will get it...

Ultimately, all you need to know - and all you can control with any level of certainty - is the local shopkeeper. Be their friend, get on their lists and shop their loyally and you will get Pappy.

It's not that much work, really - just be loyal & friendly with the guys who sell you your booze!

Goes for more than Pappy - this will get you BTAC, limited releases of other liquors, etc. - most guys at liquor stores like to sell to people who really get excited and appreciate things.

I seem to remember something on here about the relevance if the letter on the label of VWFRR as to the age of the whiskey inside up until the whiskey was tanked in stainless. All the bottles I've seen this year are "B"s however. Are these older bottles/ younger whiskey than the say "F"s? Or did the labeling change for 2011?

But then states with huge whiskey loving populations - like Texas, Pennsylvania & Mass -as just some examples - would never get any, because 95% of online retailers won't ship liquor to them.

Maybe it is time for those states to change their liquor laws...

the problem is with the three-tier system, and state-level control of liquor. Each state has their own rules, and the only control the distiller has is which states it will (or won't) ship to, and how much they'll send - after that, it's in the distributors hands to decide what stores will get it, and then it's up to the store (or their corporate office) to decide who will get it...

Amen, brother! I am 100% behind killing the distributer monopoly.

It's not that much work, really - just be loyal & friendly with the guys who sell you your booze!

I can't agree more (and I feel very comfortable that I will be offered a bottle.) Part of the issue, as Bradley points out, is that our retailers (and perhaps our Distributer) don't even want to deal with the limited editions. 3-6 bottles don't go along way, and tends to divide loyalties. A big store usually has more than 6 big customers...and someone's feelings are going to get hurt. From the retailer's perspective, this is bad news.

To complicate the issue, I shop at more than one store. I am forced to do so because of the unpredictability of local distribution and because of limitations on who normally carries what. I'm very high on the "first call" list at each of these stores. Guess what. If I want them, I'm going to get first pick from each. The same is true for 6 or so other guys. If we all decide to be greedy, there is nothing left for the more casual buyers.

Is any of this bad? I don't know...and that is not my point...

I'm just saying that central distribution makes more sense *if* your goal is to distribute evenly. In effect, this is what is going on with the online auction sites. Local bottles are being scooped up and redistributed through a roughly centralized source.

As I posted earlier though, I don't think that the goal is to achieve even distribution...

Maybe it is time for those states to change their liquor laws...

We can dream, right? Texas just recently started their big push for no shipping - and is blackmailing UPS directly on the matter. Really stinks.

Centralization - were it fair (maybe a lottery system?) would be cool.

However, it'll be hard to ever stop those speculators and eBayers who are happy to double their money on somebody who doesn't have your connections. I do well, and I can almost always get a bottle or two with limited effort, but most of the stores here know who's who, and try hard to split it up and keep any one person from getting everything...

Yes, I've gotten more than my fair share a time or two, but I also readily share/trade with friends, and I drink it all, I've never sold on eBay or price-gouged somebody on a bottle.

As long as we're dreaming, getting rid of the eBay speculators/hogs would be my preference above any of the other actions (except changing Texas state laws, that would be my top pick!)

Hey if we(WA) can do it, Texas can too.

I live in Massachusetts - it will never happen here. So sad. I've heard that cops actually sometimes wait at the border for people returning from the New Hampshire state liquor store and pull them over to make them pay tax on the booze they're importing into MA. Crazy. They're very protective of the local liquor stores, I guess.

That said, PVW doesn't even distribute to NH (or Maine), so I stick to my local stores trying to get PVWFR/BTAC/etc.

I live in Massachusetts - it will never happen here. So sad. I've heard that cops actually sometimes wait at the border for people returning from the New Hampshire state liquor store and pull them over to make them pay tax on the booze they're importing into MA. Crazy. They're very protective of the local liquor stores, I guess.

That said, PVW doesn't even distribute to NH (or Maine), so I stick to my local stores trying to get PVWFR/BTAC/etc.

Unless the cops actually knew certain cars were coming from a New Hampshire liquor store, it sounds like a gross violation of the 4th amendment, not that I'm trying to get all PRNC on this thread.:grin:

You sure about that? NH lists Pappy 20 and Lot B in their system. I'm in Mass too and am pretty down in re: my hopes of getting any Van Winkle this year.

The Van Winkles hit the shelves in Albuquerque today. No 15s anywhere, but a good supply of the 20s, 12s, and both 10s. Even a few bottles of the rye, but they sold out quickly.

The guy at the store was pretty sure the 12s would be gone by the end of the day, but the 10s were selling a little slower.

Unless the cops actually knew certain cars were coming from a New Hampshire liquor store, it sounds like a gross violation of the 4th amendment, not that I'm trying to get all PRNC on this thread.:grin:

I have heard stories of Ohio and PA doing the same.

You sure about that? NH lists Pappy 20 and Lot B in their system. I'm in Mass too and am pretty down in re: my hopes of getting any Van Winkle this year.

I noticed that NH lists Pappy 20, too, but I asked Julian for a list of his vendors in MA, NH and ME, and he wrote back that he doesn't supply NH or ME. Maybe they can get them through other channels, but I've never actually seen any PVW products in NH or ME.

I'm still holding out hope for PVW15 or 20 - but to tide me over I picked up a BTAC/GTS and a Sazerac Rye yesterday (which I guess is also a once-yearly release?).

I noticed that NH lists Pappy 20, too, but I asked Julian for a list of his vendors in MA, NH and ME, and he wrote back that he doesn't supply NH or ME. Maybe they can get them through other channels, but I've never actually seen any PVW products in NH or ME.

I'm still holding out hope for PVW15 or 20 - but to tide me over I picked up a BTAC/GTS and a Sazerac Rye yesterday (which I guess is also a once-yearly release?).

I don't know how it works, but I do know of at least one other State like this. Nothing gets sent directly to the state from the VW's/BT but it is available via special order. Where those bottles come from and who is willing to give them up, I don't know. I will say however, that this arrangement creates higher prices for us as the consumer.

I just picked up a bottle 15 year old here in Maryland, I reserved in mid October it just hit the shelf today. I asked if they had any that were unaccounted for but no was the answer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.