What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drinking some RB&F 1792 this evening. Haven't had this one in about six months or so, and the time in the open bottle has done it some good. It was very good originally, but tonight it is especially tasty.

Celebrating the completion of a paper I found very dull to write, but I hope my prof finds very interesting.

Started off with Four Roses Ltd. Ed. Small Batch 2011, then had a glencairn of Angel's Envy, now finishing with an ER 101. A good night.

Celebrating the completion of a paper I found very dull to write, but I hope my prof finds very interesting.

Started off with Four Roses Ltd. Ed. Small Batch 2011, then had a glencairn of Angel's Envy, now finishing with an ER 101. A good night.

Josh how do you like the 2011 FRLE SmB compared to previous years?

Josh how do you like the 2011 FRLE SmB compared to previous years?

I would say I like the 2011 better than 2010, not as much as 2009 Mariage and about as much as 2008 Mariage. Not to say that any of them are less than wonderful by any stretch.

Finished off a bottle of Old Forester last night, and emptied the last bit of a Henry McKenna the night before. Both budget pours, but with a few cubes of ice they hit the spot nicely.

Also trying to empty a few slots on my bourbon shelf before I go Christmas Bourbon shopping in SC next week. {NO State Stores ...YAY!!}

Any suggestions for something interesting in the under $35 range for a guy that like sweeter bourbons ??

Just sat down with a pour of ER 101. Hitting the spot tonight.

Scrub, when I get back to SC I'll be picking up some EW white, their 100 proof version.

OWA CNB barrel #54. This one didn't impress me at first, but it has opened up nicely over the past month. It is now, dare I say, delicious? Yes, I dare. :grin:

OWA CNB barrel #54. This one didn't impress me at first, but it has opened up nicely over the past month. It is now, dare I say, delicious? Yes, I dare. :grin:

Could you elaborate a bit. I tried this at CnB about a month ago and went ETL #18 instead. One of the problems with an either or purchase between a rye bourbon and :rolleyes: a wheater is that the ryes tend to be better right out of a new bottle. Both of the sample bottles were almost full. I keep thinking about going back for the OWA.

Opened up my first bottle of Rowan's Creek last Friday and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I've also been on a OGD BIB old fashioned kick lately.

Could you elaborate a bit. I tried this at CnB about a month ago and went ETL #18 instead. One of the problems with an either or purchase between a rye bourbon and :rolleyes: a wheater is that the ryes tend to be better right out of a new bottle. Both of the sample bottles were almost full. I keep thinking about going back for the OWA.

That's a great question - I picked up both while I was there last month. The ETL was my favorite of the two because the OWA was very woody and astringent at first. Over time, the OWA has mellowed and the sweeter flavors have come through making it a very enjoyable pour. The ETL, however, has slid in popularity. While I still like the flavor, the mouthfeel has become very thin to me so it always seems to be lacking. I would definitely recommend going back for an OWA, but be prepared to give it time to breathe.

Last night I had some EC 18 barreled in March of 1981 and followed that up with some OGD BIB 1977-1985...I would definitely give the edge to the OGD BIB last night...that spicey rye goodness was just what the doctor ordered! :)

At the end of the birthday dinner for the girlfriend, my guys at the bar poured me a five bourbon blind taste. Picked Pappy 23 first go around, made a guess on the others and then was given the names un-ordered. Second time around picked out the Hirsch and Bulliet but had Willet Pot Still and LotB mixed up.

I was happy to even get one right after eating a four course meal with wine pairings. Im glad the girlfriend enjoyed watching me squirm being held to the fire by co-workers. :hot:

After driving 630 gorgeous miles in intermittent rain with my family for Christmas vacation, it was the vatting of Weller 12 and OWA, as well as some JTS BrownBIB on the rocks. Man, I don't have any kind of problem with those HH bonded whiskeys.

Some WTRB. Pretty good, but I'm picking up a smoky flavor in the finish that's taking some getting used to.

Enjoying several pours of 2010 Handy along with a good cigar as I await the next winter storm to hit my area of New Mexico.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.