What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For some reason, I thought I would do a side by side of Gentleman Jack and Wathen's. No competition in my opinion. Wathen's is by far the superior of the two. Much more complex in the nose, taste and finish.

Mcscrooges EC 18 yo against EC 20yo. Very similar nose with the 20 being lighter, and slightly sweeter. This carries through the palate with more of crisp finish with the 20yo. The 20 edges the 18yo but the 18 is very close and 100.00 cheaper, both are great. I wish I had the ability of taste articulation. tim

Picked up a few bottles of Kahn's bottlings of FRSB's last week. Cracked open an OESO, aged 10 yrs 3 months. Its just like I thought it would be... Delicious. IMHO, FR's makes the best bourbons known to man

Picked up a few bottles of Kahn's bottlings of FRSB's last week. Cracked open an OESO, aged 10 yrs 3 months. Its just like I thought it would be... Delicious. IMHO, FR's makes the best bourbons known to man

I could not agree more.

Celebrating an amazing come-from-behind Lions win with some 2011 Ltd. Ed. Small Batch.

Sorry Ebo.:grin:

I could not agree more.

Celebrating an amazing come-from-behind Lions win with some 2011 Ltd. Ed. Small Batch.

I find it utterly amazing all the caotic chasing of the revered VW Line of bourbon. I, however, must admit , that I have done some chasing. BUT, defeat is eminent , so I'm not overly ambitious when it comes to the chasing . That said, I love their bourbons. Just not worth that effort, for me anyway.

On the flip side, you have Four Roses . With the spring and fall allotment of the LE's, along with their private selection of SB's , we all have accessibility and affordability of the world's best bourbons, just a local store or online click away

WTKS and Mellow Corn. I like the KS less and less, but Mellow Corn? Awesome! How do they get such color off either used or un-charred oak? :shocked:

Last night my choices were set in motion by my annoyance with a particularly pitiful excuse for a Manhattan (cocktail list said made with Makers and Knob Creek was my substitute) at a downtown Chicago restaurant that cost me plenty along with the marginal meal. So arriving home it had to be something to seriously sooth my wanting...D.S.P. KY. 16, actually three of them, first on their own and then a little vatting of all: PVW-20, '94 Special Reserve and '84 Old Fitz BIB.

Tonight was a contender for my top whiskey of the year, the Party Source's Abraham Bowman barrel strength (134.6 proof) rye from barrel #2. Exquisite stuff, brought to 100 proof, with some deep dark honey tastes woven into all the traditional deep rye flavors.

Last night I enjoyed some Willett 18 yr. brought down to about 110 proof. Very nice nightcap after some Christmas shopping.

I could not agree more.

Yea..... what an embarrassing loss that was. Allowing a 99 yard drive with one minute to play is inexcusable.:rolleyes: George Dickel and I got together for a talk after that one. :grin:

Poured some OWA from 1999 while cleaning the basement bar...then I poured some Ezra Brooks 7/90 from 1977...a good night! :)

I am enjoying some of the most recent ORVW 10/107. It is quite a bit better IMO than the previous few releases.

Started with a Weller 12, this handle is about half empty and has really hit a sweet spot, just wonderful.

Now I'm trying the Weller 12 / OWA mix. I think this OWA needs to breath a little, just cracked the top. The mix is pretty good though!

Weller 12. Little time open has given it a nice mellow edge from the first pour.

Makes me wonder why I drink anything else for a regular pour.......Oh yah, lack of availability.

Thankfully the holiday trip to Illinois is around the corner and stock is plentiful.

B

Knob Creek with a splash and a cube of ice.

My taste is more for the wheat, but I'm really warming up to the full body of KC. Given as a gift last weekend as a missing premium pour in my American whiskey bar.

Some FRSB earlier, and some standard BT tonight. Very different pours, and both excellent in their own way.

Fleischmann's Rye. Unlike some ryes, there is absolutely no chance of mistaking this one for a bourbon. And at 80 proof, it's a prime example that you don't have to be 100 proof, or barrel strength, to be an enjoyable and fully-flavored whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.