What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying the evening with some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Will probably pour a glass of 2011 Stagg for a nightcap.

Night hammer, that is!

Thanks for an idea for weekend project. I've got 4 years of WLW, but never tried any side-by-side with each other.

Michigan says you're welcome. More treasures are on Wisconsin's way shortly I assure you!

I haven't been doing a lot of drinking lately, sadly. But this weekend I'm shutting myself into a cheap hotel room to have some baby & cat-free time to finish up a seminar paper. Right now, I'm thinking of taking Angel's Envy and TPS Buffalo Trace along. I'll keep you all posted.

The wife is going to make me sit through x-mas movies, so VWFRR, and some BHC Harper 15yr. There are worse things.

The wife is going to make me sit through x-mas movies, so VWFRR, and some BHC Harper 15yr. There are worse things.

I am in the same boat, but you seem to be fairing better than me. I am drinking THH 2008 and Basil Hayden. Good thing the BH is only a sample. Not very good at all.

2:1 Baby Saz to Handy '11 is real nice -- and will make that Handy last a little longer. The term around here is vatting?

PHC 2010 cut to 107 followed by a Willett 8yr 1789b cut to 107...one is a wheater and one is a rye based bourbon. They're both different but each have a very special place in my glass! :)

JRPS 18 followed by 2011 PVW 15. TGIF. The Jefferson is definitely getting better with air. Next is a Parker's golden anniversary.

EC 20yo tonight. Great bourbon. I hate that it is only available at HH. Mcscrooges in knoxville has a EC 18 yo that is pretty close. The 18 yo has become my go to bottle. It was nice to meet capt ajax and sample a few bourbons at Mcsrooges today. If there is a deep discussion about bourbon going on, just ask and they will be on sb.com. tim

Is it me or does the current batch of Weller SR and OWA taste fucking fantastic? Unbelievable value in those 2 offerings. Excuse the French por favor.

Totally mesmerized by this 2011 Handy. I could give a flip on it's age. It's simply fantastic whiskey. :yum:

Evil Twin Christmas Eve at a New York City Hotel Room, Moules et Frites lunch

Three Floyds Alpha Claus, Bayern v Koln nap

PHC 2011, crossword while the lady writes digestif

Weller 12, Vince Guaraldi Trio xmas lounging

Great friday

You lot have a preference as to still, sparkling, cold, ice or room temp water while your sipping? I like cold with gas and room temp still.

I hope you post some notes from your WLW tasting...
Thanks for your interest. I went through the larder and turned up a lot of WLW, but didn't come across 2009. I compared 2006, 2010, & 2011 before and during watching Disney/Pixar's "UP" movie. Per my impressions for this evening... I think I liked the 3 equally. Had I tried each seperately, I may would say they were the same. Comparing the 3 was fun. The 2006 was thicker & heavier with more musty/musky flavor. The 2010 and 2011 were very similar; more heat/flavor with the 2011. The 2010 would be the pick for most people as it was more refined/elegant. Though the term elicits derision; the 2010 was smoother. Compare the 2011 GTS to previous GTS and ya know what I mean.

EC 20yo tonight...Mcscrooges in knoxville has a EC 18 yo that is pretty close. The 18 yo has become my go to bottle...
How does the EC20 compare to most EC18? I've not invested the $$ to see for myself and very curious. Though I love BT products; like you, EC18 is my go to.

Weller 12, Vince Guaraldi Trio xmas lounging

Guaraldi and Weller. Great combination. :cool: Joe

Guaraldi and Weller. Great combination. :cool: Joe

Indeed.

I'm de-stressing a rough week with some Vintage 17 and some TPS JPS 18.

Couple of pours of Bookers at the hotel bar last night. Limited selected as most, but this was doing it for the night. That and watching a light snow come down made for a lovely night.

On to a little hunting today. Wife says she needs a couple of bottle of wine for gifts. Who am I to say no to that? Not sure it it will be better then the other day snagging a small group of the wheated PHC, but one can hope. :grin:

B

Had friends over for dinner last night. Started with a "vertical tasting" of Basil Hayden, OGD BIB, and OGD 114. That got things off to a pleasant start, though the OGDs tended to overpower the Crown Royal drinkers who found the BH more to their liking.

Dinner was beef bourguignon--made with bourbon, of course. Dessert: Bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! :grin:

PHC 2007 122.6...it's good but there is a earthy trait to it that I'm not really digging right now. I used to really like this pour but for some reason either my preferences have changed or I'm having an off day as this definitely isn't exceeding my expectations. :(

Sitting with my daughter by the fire watching Frosty the Snowman and having some of the remaining samples from the ETL tasting that just finished up. ETL Liquor Barn, ETL Kentucky Barrel Society BOTY 2006, and ETL 15yr have been finished...the 15yr takes the cake tonight...it's extremely balanced showing sweetness, spice, and some age, and a nice finish. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.