What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hitting my buddy ACDetroit's bottles tonight!

I had the following pours:

VWFRR "F" bottling

2004 Saz18

Hirsch 16 Blue Wax

2004 Noah's Mill 15yr 114.3pr

Pappy 20

VSOF 12 BHC

Hirsch 16 Gold Foil

Willett 18yr 1789b 140.8pr

I took home samples of 2007 Pappy 15, WTRB 1995, and PHC 2007 122.6 pr...all in all a great night of drinking some of the finest whiskies on the planet! Thanks Tony for opening your home and bourbon/whiskey bottles! :cool:

I'm curious how many barrels Willett has in the pipeline. They've released 2, 3, and 4 year olds, all single barrels, already. I wonder if they have more, and if so, are they earmarked for longer aging?

That's just a question that will probably continue to remain a mystery.

My best guess, probably not. I'm thinking they just contracted for these item a few years back. Does anybody have a good idea of just how long they have had the the rye out, personally, I've only seen in where I am within the last year.

I hope that they may have plans for some to age a bit longer. Could be one hell of a great product.

B

Hitting my buddy ACDetroit's bottles tonight!

I had the following pours:

VWFRR "F" bottling

2004 Saz18

Hirsch 16 Blue Wax

2004 Noah's Mill 15yr 114.3pr

Pappy 20

VSOF 12 BHC

Hirsch 16 Gold Foil

Willett 18yr 1789b 140.8pr

I took home samples of 2007 Pappy 15, WTRB 1995, and PHC 2007 122.6 pr...all in all a great night of drinking some of the finest whiskies on the planet! Thanks Tony for opening your home and bourbon/whiskey bottles! :cool:

Sounds like Tony is an exceptional host. How was the Hirsch 16 Blue Wax and Willett 18 year? I find those to be the most intriguing.

Bowling night again. :woohoo: I couldn't decide what to bring tonight, so I grabbed a handful of 50 mls from my stash. In alphabetical order; dusty AA, Blanton's, MM, dusty tax stamped Old Forester, dusty SW Rebel Yell, and a semi-dusty older BF Woodford Reserve. We bowled decent, but only won one game. Ehhhhh. The camaraderie and bourbon more than made up for it. :grin: Plus it was cookie night. :bigeyes: My wife makes cookies for the holidays every year for me to share with the team and others. It's been a tradition the last 12-15 years. Everyone always looks forward to it. Not a bad night overall. Joe

Tonight it's a new bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100. I gave away my last bottle. Had some funky, off-putting, pickly weirdness. Man, this bottle is just candy. Just real good, heavy rye, bourbon sipping. I guess it's a "Rye", but I feel like I'm getting a lot of good from both worlds here. Balanced and just plain tasty. Amazing how wrong the last bottle was and how right this one is.

STLb

Evan Williams 1783 I bought a handle of this from the Party Source and am actually pleasantly surprised . This is a pretty decent budget pour

2009 William Larue Weller with a splash of Weller 12 and a splash of water. I have to say, this is the most I've enjoyed this bottle in a while. It always has this weird astringent taste that messes up my tongue, but I barely get it today. Still a lot of cinnamon and wood, but some nice sweetness.

2009 William Larue Weller with a splash of Weller 12 and a splash of water. I have to say, this is the most I've enjoyed this bottle in a while. It always has this weird astringent taste that messes up my tongue, but I barely get it today. Still a lot of cinnamon and wood, but some nice sweetness.

Hectic1 loves that WLW 2009 bottle. He has a vatting of WLW 2009 and Weller 12 (1:1 vatting) that he calls "Hectic's Revenge."

Hectic1 loves that WLW 2009 bottle. He has a vatting of WLW 2009 and Weller 12 (1:1 vatting) that he calls "Hectic's Revenge."

Really? Never really seriously went through blending bourbons. Wonder how that taste.

Really? Never really seriously went through blending bourbons. Wonder how that taste.

That was a bit of a joke...Hectic finds the WLW 2009 to be way too hot and not as good as other bottlings of WLW (and I agree).

Recently I did a 1:1 vatting of a thin tasting OWA and WLW 2011 and it really helped the OWA while maintaining the richness found in the WLW.

That was a bit of a joke...Hectic finds the WLW 2009 to be way too hot and not as good as other bottlings of WLW (and I agree)....

Thanks for an idea for weekend project. I've got 4 years of WLW, but never tried any side-by-side with each other.

I'm sipping on one I haven't had in a long while.... Woodford Reserve. I'ts nothing particularly special, but it's doing the job nicely this evening.

HA...IMO that was the worst WLW year...no matter how much water I added to it it was always hot! I traded away all my 09's that I had in the bunker to unsuspecting souls! :slappin:

I'm having a pour from my living bottle and it's not quite up to the bourbons that I was treated to last night! I think I'm gonna hit something better next! ;)

HA...IMO that was the worst WLW year...no matter how much water I added to it it was always hot! ...
Now I'm getting more interested in this weekend project of comparing 4 years WLW in one sitting. The 2009 "hot" may mean bitter and I like bitter. I don't recall 2009 being any different than others so looking forward to it. I really like this year's WLW. It follows GTS nicely and is a good leader into Saz18, but if ya follow Saz18 with WLW then may feel WLW to be harsh.

Tonight it's more mundane mild stuff. Mostly Pappy20 with occasional sips of EC18. I'm always impressed that EC18 can stand it's own with any premium.

Drinking some 1995 Lville OWA and good god is this stuff nice...the nose on this is full of maple goodness! It has great mouthfeel as it provides that nice coating from front to back!

Man I wish they still made this stuff! :(

Enjoying the evening with some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Will probably pour a glass of 2011 Stagg for a nightcap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.