What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012

CaptainQ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up on something I have never seen before today.... Black Maple Hill 23! No idea how much it usually costs or how many bottles of this are even around but at $200 it was cool to just see in the case.

There are probably not a whole lot of those still around. It is excellent rye whiskey and is one of my favorites. A member here found some recently for $85 I think, which is a great deal. I haven't seen one in a while but they ran in the $125-$150 range around here before they were all gone. $200 is definitely a marked up price but you won't find it a whole lot of other places.

Passed up on two dusty(literally) bottles of J.W. Dant BIB stuck behind some other brands at $12.99/750ml. However, bought the 3 bottles of Col. E.H. Taylor SB they had for a friend. Will return to gather more info on the age of the Dant. Worth it? If not, I can look around more, since today was first time there.

Passed on a bottle of Vintage 17 year. Read good things about it, but after recently having Pappy 15, Pappy 20, and ORVW 107 I didn't think it would give me the wow factor that a $70 bottle should.

Passed up Woodford..

I do that every time I visit a store. Be that as it may, I passed up Corner Creek, OFBB 2011 and a lot of ERSB

Passed up 2 VWFRR. They were asking $99 per bottle. Too steep imo. The store owner claimed he was charging that price to lessen the likelihood that it would be resold on eBay. Too many of the stores in Michigan are being picked over and the product is not making it in the hands of local enthusiasts. Quite a shame.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Picked up a Vintage Rye 21 last night, but left the 23 on the shelf. Also saw a Vintage Bourbon 21, but had my heart set on the rye.

Picked up a Vintage Rye 21 last night, but left the 23 on the shelf. Also saw a Vintage Bourbon 21, but had my heart set on the rye.

Ever have the 23? Picked one up recently, in fact, you might have seen it when you were in Naperville.

The 21 sounds tasty.

B

Where in Naperville? I got to Binnys(bought a cask Redbreast, but forget what was behind glass) and a few smaller stores, but missed Malloys as it was weeknights and I always seemed to get there at about 9:10. Last time in Naperville I got some Ritt BIB and some Lost Abbeys at malloys.

I haven't had the 23, but the 21 is very, very good.

Where in Naperville? I got to Binnys(bought a cask Redbreast, but forget what was behind glass) and a few smaller stores, but missed Malloys as it was weeknights and I always seemed to get there at about 9:10. Last time in Naperville I got some Ritt BIB and some Lost Abbeys at malloys.

I haven't had the 23, but the 21 is very, very good.

It was the Binny's in Naperville. I remembered it being there at christmas, and was happy to still still it there last weekend. I knew you were going to be there and was worried that it might not be there again. :grin:

Hopefully, the 23 will pan out to be as nice as the 21 sounds from you.

Thanks

B

Passed up a Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I never would have though this a big deal before as I thought Wild Turkey was a "high Rye" mashbill. Now, since I find it is not, I am more tempted... but I should probably try the standard before investing in the barrel proof... it just looks so tempting though sitting there at barrel strength.

Ever have the 23? Picked one up recently, in fact, you might have seen it when you were in Naperville.

The 21 sounds tasty.

B

And how is the 23? The 21 is one of my favorite whiskies.

And how is the 23? The 21 is one of my favorite whiskies.

It's been posted here by several people and I've heard others say as well that it is too woody tasting. If you like heavy wood flavor then you would probably love it. I'm a huge fan of the 21yr rye but apparently the 2 extra years in the barrel added a significant amount of wood flavor. That said I've never tried it and have always passed on the 23 due to hearing this from multiple people.

It's been posted here by several people and I've heard others say as well that it is too woody tasting. If you like heavy wood flavor then you would probably love it. I'm a huge fan of the 21yr rye but apparently the 2 extra years in the barrel added a significant amount of wood flavor. That said I've never tried it and have always passed on the 23 due to hearing this from multiple people.

Yes, I've read those, as well, but I occasionally come across positive reviews. I can get the 23 in my area, albeit for quite a markup, so I'm always interested to hear what people think.

Passed on some Old Forester BIB DSP-354. I had grabbed a 200ml of 414 juice at the same store and can't remember if I left any on the shelf, but there wasn't any yesterday. At $11 for a 375ml, I didn't really feel like trying it. If I wasn't already spending $75 on ND OGD, I probably would have.

Woodford Maple Finish. I have not tried this one yet, but I am not a big Woodford fan. I liked the seasoned ok, but biggest issue for me with the masters collection's is the price. I want to know I am going to like something before spending $90 on it.

Came across a Parkers heritage Cask strength that I passed on...for the time being. Assuming they only rel eased the cask strength once?

Passed up a PVW 15 that they wanted $250 for! :hot:

And a PVW 20 that they wanted $300 for! :hot:

I told them the store done the street had the 15 for $99 and they guy acted like he could care less. I was going to buy a couple middle shelf products, but after that price gouging, I walked out!

Came across a Parkers heritage Cask strength that I passed on...for the time being. Assuming they only rel eased the cask strength once?

Saw about four bottles of 98 EW single barrel that I passed on since I just bought a 99 this morning.

When you got your '99 did they have any left? mosugoji64 (Brian) in Indy was looking for one barreled in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped at a random place on my lunch just now and they had a bottle of WL Weller Centennial, it was priced at $57, do I need to run back or is it priced too high?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

They did not have any left unfortunately. Was the lone bottle on the shelf and I didn't see it last time I stopped in it was all 2000.

When you got your '99 did they have any left? mosugoji64 (Brian) in Indy was looking for one barreled in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!