What Beer Are You Drinking? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a Yuengling Premium at dusk in the neighbor's pool. Not bad, but could have been better. My instructions of "hey bring me a beer" probably could have been more specific.

Since the 4th, I have been working on a case of good old Budweiser.

Tim

Boulevard sampler from Kansas City. I worked my way through half the twelve pack last night and their Pale Ale and IPA are quite fine, though the Boulveard Irish Ale didn't do a whole lot for me. Will check out the rest this afternoon while watching baseball.

A bottle of Chimay Blue on a boring and oppressively hot Sunday. Nothing else to do, may as well drink!

Enjoying a much needed rain with a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

Re: What Beer Did You Enjoy Today

Founders Devil Dancer Triple India Pale Ale!!

This baby weighs in at 112IBU's & 12%ABV!!

It is surprisingly tame and very drinkable.

I just had one with dinner that consisted of a salad of Baby Spring Mix leaves, walnuts, fresh red raspberries, crumbled gargonzola cheese with a light splash of raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

Wham Bamn Batman, it was so good I was sad to see it gone.

This is one of Founders specialties that is only available in July, like the Kentucky Breakfast Stout only available in March.

They got several of 'em.

rsz_founders_devil_dancer_002.jpg

I like how this thread starts with two Michigan brews. And so far, ends with one ...

Two Brothers Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale. If you enjoy biere de gardes, this is a fine American approximation of that traditional French style of beer.

Cooking dinner and having a Hitachino Sweet Stout.

ETA: a local taproom has that Devil Dancer on tap. Looks like I need to get out and grab some.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight may have been the greatest beer night of my life. Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla, Firestone Walker 11, Isabella Proximus, and Westvleteren 12. I am speechless.

I don't often find Three Floyds Gumballhead on tap around here so was pleased to knock back several pints at a great local bar in town that now routinely features 32 beers on tap and another 200+ in bottles. The choices were amazing but I was looking for a hoppy quencher on such a hot evening and the Gumballhead did the trick. Excellent beer!

Yesterday, my son got a mixed 12-pack of several Magic Hat beers, from Vermont. We tried the Dandelion beer first, and we both found it to be very good.

Tim

Yesterday, my son got a mixed 12-pack of several Magic Hat beers, from Vermont. We tried the Dandelion beer first, and we both found it to be very good.

Tim

About all I ever see around here from Magic Hat is their #9 Ale. I'll have to look closer for their other beers, particularly the twelve pack sampler. I always like it when micros put those out so I don't waste $10 on a six pack for something that doesn't really impress me.

I've been on a Stout kick, lately. Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Mackeson Stout, and good old reliable Guiness Extra Stout.

I've been on a Stout kick, lately. Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Mackeson Stout, and good old reliable Guiness Extra Stout.

Stout in this heat? Yikes! Man, I haven't had Mackeson Stout in years and would love to get my hands on some. Now that you mention it, I've got a case of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the basement waiting for the return of cool weather. Maybe I'll crack one tonight and pour a nice single malt and pretend it's December for a night!:grin:

Thanks to a fellow SBer's recommendation that I swing by the brewery on a recent trip to Chicago, I've been enjoying Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught the last few nights. Very nice.

Just on the point of stout and summer, many like an iced stout at this time of year. It is drunk that way in the Caribbean, to which strong stout has been exported since the late 1700's at least, and parts of Asia where ditto the English sent it out to their colonists and troops there. The habit of drinking it remained long after the British went home. Certainly, thick very strong beers probably won't appeal to most at this time of year but Guinness FES is quite sharp and not heavy really, I'd give it a go and it sounds great with a good malt or Irish!

Gary

Just on the point of stout and summer, many like an iced stout at this time of year. It is drunk that way in the Caribbean, to which strong stout has been exported since the late 1700's at least, and parts of Asia where ditto the English sent it out to their colonists and troops there. The habit of drinking it remained long after the British went home. Certainly, thick very strong beers probably won't appeal to most at this time of year but Guinness FES is quite sharp and not heavy really, I'd give it a go and it sounds great with a good malt or Irish!

Gary

Powers is one of the best values in whiskey today, not just Irish whiskey, but whiskey in general. It has a high percentage of pure pot still (I think 70-80%) and I actually prefer it to the current Green Spot or Redbreasts, say, the small amount of grain whiskey seems to "set" the palate. Top stuff.

Gary

Powers is one of the best values in whiskey today, not just Irish whiskey, but whiskey in general. It has a high percentage of pure pot still (I think 70-80%) and I actually prefer it to the current Green Spot or Redbreasts, say, the small amount of grain whiskey seems to "set" the palate. Top stuff.

Gary

Amen to that. And dirt cheap too at $18 from my favorite discount liquor store.

Yesterday afternoon I went with the cheap stuff--Schlitz! I was in the mood for something cold and quenching and the Schlitz was lurking in the back of the beer fridge from the night of the All-Star game. Not bad at all, though I couldn't possibly tell you if it tastes of the Schlitz from years ago. Sometimes it's nice to have a beer that you don't have to think about too much. I might give Old Style a spin this weekend and will definitely be hitting the Miller High Life tomorrow night at the blues bar.

I'm so with you on this, Hank. I recently picked up a 12 pack of Budweiser (I'll admit, I got it for July 4 because of the cool patriotic Red, White, and Blue Flag can decor. :D), and enjoyed every last one of them. Sometimes, just drinking a simple beer can be a nice diversion.

You guys should try Beck's, now brewed in the U.S. and much better as a result IMO (fresher, and I suspect not as intensively pasteurized). It has a rich clean taste that is satisfying and veers into but is not quite craft beer territory. Mine was from a green bottle taken from the back of the store refrigeration area and it was zero affected by light.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.