What Beer Are You Drinking? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Two Brothers Hop Juice Imperial IPA, a fantastic 100 IBU seasonal that comes and goes in a flash every summer. Last year I paid $11 a bomber at Trader Joe's, which was actually cheaper than most places. Imagine my surprise when I saw a shelf of 50 bottles at TJ's yesterday with a $7 price tag! I came home with five and regret not buying more, as a friend went in today to get his share and found only six bottles left. This one's definitely not for everyone but I love it!

Might have overindulged a bit thurs night before the concert. Friday night we split a Stillwater Cellar Door farmhouse ale. Karen is a big fan of saisons and farmhouse ales and she really liked this one.

Might have overindulged a bit thurs night before the concert. Friday night we split a Stillwater Cellar Door farmhouse ale. Karen is a big fan of saisons and farmhouse ales and she really liked this one.

Stillwater is down in Ohio? That's awesome! We have a lot of shining lights up here in DC/Maryland, but none brighter than Stillwater. Flying Dog also is upping their game considerably - their Underdog lager is one of the best session beers I've had, probably better to my palate than Bitter American. They might not have a great reputation, since historically, their beers have kind of sucked, but they got a lot better in a short time.

Two Brothers Hop Juice Imperial IPA, a fantastic 100 IBU seasonal that comes and goes in a flash every summer.

Tonight was a beer night. Sitting around a fire, began with FFF Gumballhead. Then my homebrew summer rye and Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's. Finished with Ballast Point Tongue Buckler imp red- incredible malty red ale with enormous hop presence.

Some of my latest pales (pale/ipa/dipa) have had issues. Which drives me nuts. Not bad beers, but no what I'm shooting for. 2 beers in the fermenters now, high hopes for each.

Currently went to Alpine Brewing for some beer. These guys make the BEST west coast style IPA's I've ever had. But zero distribution so you can't get them anywhere. THey're 20mins away, so...not too far.

Damn they make excellent beer.

The Hop Juice Festival at the Roundhouse last weekend was great. First three years it was held at the brewery itself, and was sort of a congested mess due to lack of space. Now that they have the Roundhouse, it's a "must do" for me every summer. And if you're on the BN rail line, it's a straight shot to the fest at the Aurora end of the line with no worries about parking or overconsumption.

Also? Hop Juice Black. A most excellent imperial black pale ale.

Somehow that event slipped past my radar, otherwise I would have met you up there for a few beers. I live less than two blocks from the BN line in Brookfield (just a stone's throw from the Irish Times!), so that would be very convenient. How far is the Roundhouse from the station?

Plenty of Negra Modelo went down the hatch last night while sipping too many glasses of tequila. I enjoy that beer but it seems to have slightly less character than it used to, though that may just be my own faulty recollection of its flavor.

Listening to the Braves on the radio, on a darkish, on-and-off rainy, day. Trying the latest Terrapin Side Project (#16), "Phlux Capacitor" Oak Aged American Ale. Nice brew, but a touch too sweet IMO. Very drinkable though, with a fair amount of old-timey black licorice over the palate. Goes pretty well with the weather.

I'm getting my beer on this afternoon with some Two Brothers Outlaw from a can. I like beer from a can. Typically after I pour it into a glass.

This is an IPA sitting at 6.3% and it's very decent. Nice and drinkable with lots of citrus, though more hops would balance it out better.

I miss my Zombie Dust. It's the only beer that's been firing on all cylinders for me lately. I needa get sommore!

Somehow that event slipped past my radar, otherwise I would have met you up there for a few beers. I live less than two blocks from the BN line in Brookfield (just a stone's throw from the Irish Times!), so that would be very convenient. How far is the Roundhouse from the station?

Tried the Founders Curmudgeon Better Half ... IMO way out of balance, overly sweet and malty .... a classic over the top barley wine. uge disappointment especially given the crazy price.....

A couple of Guinnesses on draught at Ri Ra in Evansville last night. I'm not a huge fan of Guinness, but a properly poured draught while watching baseball and hockey on the screen at the bar is a treat.

Sam Adams Dark Depths Baltic Porter. Man, this stuff is good! I'll go out on a limb and say that this beer is as good as any I've had in six months.

Hoppin' Frog Hopped-up Goose Juice Rye IPA, very good, Hoppin'Frog is solid.

312 Urban Wheat Ale this evening. Nothing special, but hits the spot after a very long week.

Celebrating the weekend with Sam Adams Dark Depths. Very drinkable beer...not great to me but not bad by any means.

Sounds like you were underwhelmed by the SADD. I'm wondering if it's simply a matter of personal taste or if perhaps you drank the beer too cold. Like most ales, the aroma really shines when the beer is served in the mid-50 degrees range. The reason I mention this is because I pulled two bottles of SADD out of the fridge last night and left the second one on the counter while I consumed the first bottle. I noticed that the second bottle was light years better than the first, having had ten or fifteen minutes to warm up a bit. I'm still knocked out by how good this beer is and have yet to encounter anything better this year.

Well the warmer weather is finally here (or almost here, for our friends up North). What are you drinking this Spring?

I am bouncing back and forth between Belle's Two Hearted Ale and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Can't go wrong either way. Two of the best IPA's out there IMHO!

I am bouncing back and forth between Belle's Two Hearted Ale and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Can't go wrong either way. Two of the best IPA's out there IMHO!

You've got that right! It's 91 and muggy and I'm sipping on a Two Hearted right now, with the ribs and hot links smokin' away. Man, that beer sure tastes good. Two Brothers Hop Juice on deck for later in the afternoon. Enjoy!

Czechvar, at just under 8 weeks from packaging - the brand states a very clear production date on the base of the can. It's called Budweiser Budvar in some markets. This Czech classic is almost oily-tasting with flowery, aromatic notes and succulent malt. Just so good, the Czechs have been making great beer for so long it is easy to forget that this exemplar of fine brewing is unique and has never been copied. (Ditto with fresh Pilsner Urquell).

I chased it down with a tot of one of my Jack Daniels minglings.

Gary

Czechvar, at just under 8 weeks from packaging - the brand states a very clear production date on the base of the can. It's called Budweiser Budvar in some markets. This Czech classic is almost oily-tasting with flowery, aromatic notes and succulent malt. Just so good, the Czechs have been making great beer for so long it is easy to forget that this exemplar of fine brewing is unique and has never been copied. (Ditto with fresh Pilsner Urquell).

I chased it down with a tot of one of my Jack Daniels minglings.

Gary

I toured the Budweiser Budvar brewery in Ceske Budejovice back in 1994 and had a grand time walking around the facility and drinking their ultra-fresh beer. World class, that's for sure. (And slightly better than the Pilsner Urquell that is being exported to the US these days, though that may be due to poor handling by distributors and retailers.)

I've been drinking a lot of SixPoints lately.

http://sixpoint.com/

What's your fave?

I'm big on Resin and also enjoy Apollo. Bengali Tiger and Righteous were good, but I didn't care much for The Crisp or Sweet Action.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.