What Beer Are You Drinking? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New Belgium "Somersault" Summer Seasonal...

Blech.....

I'm tiring of these overly spritzy and tart Summer beers that so many of the Micros have been coming out with. I just don't find them enjoyable.

I'll also mention that I had a few beers over the weekend at Greenbush brewery in Sawyer, MI. They have a pretty extensive operation for only being around for a couple short years, a fair amount of barrel aged beers and interesting-sounding experiments. My favorite beer of theirs was called Closure, a pale ale coming in around 6% with a ruddy-brown body but more hops than malt, which is what I prefer. I took away a growler of it to share over a family birthday dinner last night.

The porter and black IPA weren't really to my liking. I didn't get a chance to try some of their trippel-style ales, but if you're in the area, I can confidently recommend it. Looked like they had a really nice food menu too.

New Belgium "Somersault" Summer Seasonal...

Blech.....

I'm tiring of these overly spritzy and tart Summer beers that so many of the Micros have been coming out with. I just don't find them enjoyable.

If the name of the beer has 'Summer' in the title, or any season, really, that's usually my cue to pass.

Argh, okay last post reflecting on my weekend, I promise! I forgot to mention the wedding beer! LikeItWasSodaPop's pop and brother were responsible for the homebrew at the party, and all three were top notch. Well, to be honest I didn't have the wheat beer because it's not my thing, but the pale ale and especially the black IPA were outstanding. I liked the BIPA much more than the one at Greenbush, though Hoppin' Frog Hop Heathen is still king among the few that I've had.

And the beers were perfect accompaniments to the unchillfiltered EC12 and Willet 5yo rye.

NIce selection of brews on my birthday -- a Three Floyds Brian Boru, a Pipeworks Ninja v. Unicorn, a Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron brown ale and a Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout!

I"m too lazy to look back a previous pages of this thread to confirm, but I haven't seen mention of Sam Adams Porch Rocker yet. Its a german style radler beer designed to compete with the likes of Summer Shandy and the rest of the light, citrus flavored beers. If you've ever been to Germany and had a Radler, this is the best representation of the style I've ever had state-side.

If you're looking for something for your 4th of July picnic thats light, tasty, and beats the pants off of Summer Shandy, give Porch Rocker a try.

(no I don't work for Sam Adams, its just a well-made unique beer that I enjoyed a lot)

Have been enjoying Oskar Blues Deviant Dales IPA. Also Kingfisher Lager I enjoyed the Kingfisher much more due to the heat around here. I like my IPAs in the Fall and Winter.

Have been enjoying Oskar Blues Deviant Dales IPA. Also Kingfisher Lager I enjoyed the Kingfisher much more due to the heat around here. I like my IPAs in the Fall and Winter.

Odell IPA, Fathead's Head Hunter IPA, Bell's Oracle, and Stone Ruination 10th anniversary, hopfest today!

Roasting hot day yesterday for our Independence Day celebrations, so beer flew out of the coolers at a very quick pace. After all the good stuff was gone (Three Floyds Gumballhead, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, etc.) we were left with nothing but cans of Old Style, Stroh's, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life and Schlitz. Hey, when it's 101 degrees out, anything'll do. Gotta say that the Old Style and Schlitz actually tasted pretty darn good when fished from the bottom of an ice cold cooler.

Edited by unclebunk

Local place had a Goose Island tasting tonight. After a much too long hiatus, Goose IIPA returned to SW Ohio. Split a 2005 BCS with our area Goose Island rep, it was exquisite.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13691[/ATTACH]

I visted Rogue Brewery tonight and enjoyed some beers and a burger there! I had sample pours of the following:

Brutal IPA

Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale (from Deadliest Catch)

Dad's

Little Helper Black IPA

Rogue Chocolate Stout

Hazelnut Brown Ale

New

Crustly Barelywine

Chipotle Ale

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout

(Nitro)

Chatoe Rogue Single Malt

I plan on heading back there tomorrow as I have more investigating to do!

Their beers are pretty good, but if you are still in town and want to know some better places to check out let me know and I'll point you to it.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Guiness Extra Stout... 50/50 mix. Makes a great Black and Tan.

I love that GL Dortmunder. Is in my all-time Top 5. I'm finishing up some paperwork, on what has been an odd week with the July 4 Holiday right in the middle, with a SweetWater Brewing IPA.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Guiness Extra Stout... 50/50 mix. Makes a great Black and Tan.
I love that GL Dortmunder. Is in my all-time Top 5. I'm finishing up some paperwork, on what has been an odd week with the July 4 Holiday right in the middle, with a SweetWater Brewing IPA.

I remembered you guys while out for dinner with the Mrs. tonight and GL Dortmunder it was. Top 5 for me too Joe...Top 1 for lagers I'd say. Went to Shaw's Crab House tonight Joe, a place you might know. The elk were out there roasting in the 103 degree heat too.

Edited by T Comp

Opened a Melange 3 from the Bruery. One of the best barrel aged beers I've had.

Back to Summer Shandy - simply too hot for anything else.:(

I remembered you guys while out for dinner with the Mrs. tonight and GL Dortmunder it was. Top 5 for me too Joe...Top 1 for lagers I'd say. Went to Shaw's Crab House tonight Joe, a place you might know. The elk were out there roasting in the 103 degree heat too.

Don't know Shaw's, Thad. I'll mention it next time I'm up there...which will be, like tomorrow! :D We're pretty predictable. Lou's, Toscana's, Yanni's, Rosewood...Still missin' The Black Ram, though. :(

Don't know Shaw's, Thad. I'll mention it next time I'm up there...which will be, like tomorrow! :D We're pretty predictable. Lou's, Toscana's, Yanni's, Rosewood...Still missin' The Black Ram, though. :(

Nothing like a little thread drift here Joe but Yanni's just shut their doors too.

Just had and awesome lunch at Beachwood BBQ and Brewing. Was there to celebrate the 1st anniversary of their brewery. Have to admit I didn't like their anniversary Triple IPA, but all the other stuff was so so great. Was able to try Alpine's Duet IPA (like a Pliny light, a good thing), there was a special keg of a 2006 Stone Bourbon Barrel aged IRS (also good, like molasas), Pizza Port's Poor Man's DIPA (nice bitter hops), and finished with one of Beachwood's finest I've ever had. Called System of a Stout, Julian went kind of crazy and brewed with cardamom, molasses, coffee, and brandy soaked oak chips. Sounds wild, but is so nice!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.