What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought some WT101 8yr. at Detroit duty free. Only saw WT80 at the Windsor duty free though!

Thomas

Bulleit Bourbon, Bulleit Rye and KCSB to keep me and my team occupied during current business trip. (After Hours of course)

(After Hours of course)

Start early...we won't tell anyone! :drinking:

Two bottles of Parker's Heritage Golden Anniversary @$150/each.

Left two on the shelf.

Can you buy Stranahan's outside of Colorado again? I miss that stuff, and it seems like you can't get it anywhere. Ever.

This store has a few bottles that he got in 2008 and hasn't been able to sell. I don't think he can get it now.

Not really bourbon but I bought a Stranahans distilled in 05 to commemorate my daughter moving and starting a job in Eagle, Colorado.

What is Stranahan's anyway? A friend just texted to me that his daughter, who lives in Denver, gave him a bottle for Father's Day. I went to their website where I learned that they distill 40 barrels a week and age it in new charred oak barrels like bourbon. But, what's the mash bill? Ten to 20 barrels are selected for their true, small batch bottling. What, I wonder, do they do with the rest?

Bought an OWA107 today. Right out the bottle, it's the most disgusting whiskey I've ever purchased. It tastes like sawdust and nothing else. When they got rid of the 7 year age statement on the WSR, I thought there'd be little change in quality in the OWA and WSR, with maybe some difference over time. I didn't realize they'd drop a few years off the age of the Wellers this quickly. It tastes like 4 years and nothing more. Absolutely nasty. I realize all wheaters open up over time, but you can't hide the youth on this. F*#K YOU BUFFALO TRACE.

What is Stranahan's anyway? A friend just texted to me that his daughter, who lives in Denver, gave him a bottle for Father's Day. I went to their website where I learned that they distill 40 barrels a week and age it in new charred oak barrels like bourbon. But, what's the mash bill? Ten to 20 barrels are selected for their true, small batch bottling. What, I wonder, do they do with the rest?

Stranahan's is whiskey, it's not bourbon, it's not blended whiskey, it's not a straight whiskey because I don't think it's aged long enough.

Bought an OWA107 today. Right out the bottle, it's the most disgusting whiskey I've ever purchased. It tastes like sawdust and nothing else. When they got rid of the 7 year age statement on the WSR, I thought there'd be little change in quality in the OWA and WSR, with maybe some difference over time. I didn't realize they'd drop a few years off the age of the Wellers this quickly. It tastes like 4 years and nothing more. Absolutely nasty. I realize all wheaters open up over time, but you can't hide the youth on this. F*#K YOU BUFFALO TRACE.

Wow. You hate OWA now. I bought a bottle a few days ago but I mixed it with W12 and didn't even taste it. Now half of it has been sitting for less than a week half full and the other half is in the mix but my palette is too off after a few willett 5yo rye & a frsb to make a well informed judgement.

Although, I'm sure this half full bottle is very current since I bought it at one of the premier places in Los Angeles for BT offerings.

Ok, I'm pouring instead of waiting. Nose is wet chalky sugar. Taste, it zings with an intense alcohol burn but it builds into it and I can taste a little of the WLW jam happening that is so incredible in the 2011 bottling but it isn't "incredible". Finish is like the alcohol evaporates like fog lifting as it goes down but the oak isn't quite as balanced as the alcohol, so it leaves me feeling like the sugar in the taste is saccharin or weller zero. As a whole, it wasn't the worst drink of the night for me but I'm biased to OWA and have to say, it's not that bad but it's also not as intense as the 7yo version...and why change the bottle & the label? That was also stupid IMHO but if the product improved I'd be happier too.

I think I've moved to the philosophy that I'll only buy whisk(e)y when it's a single barrel that's been nonchilfiltered or a special bottling like BTAC or independent bottler or a dusty. However, if this philosophy sticks, my bourbon drinking will decline and I'll have to start being more of an idealist than I already am. But, I guess I'm already there, minus OWA and maybe that's why the only bourbon I have open at home is a OWA & a 2011 WLW that's not a dusty. All the other bottles I have are sealed or have less than a centimeter left. I think this might be from my own pathological condition of paranoi that all the bourbon distillers are going to change the age statements and give us brown liquid that tastes like sawdust except once a year & we are all fighting over it. Sounds normal to me.

Stranahan's is whiskey, it's not bourbon, it's not blended whiskey, it's not a straight whiskey because I don't think it's aged long enough.

The youngest whiskey in Stranahans is 2 years old. As it says so on the label, it suffices the age check to qualify for a straight. Although I'm unsure if it meets the other requirements, the label does read "Straight Rocky Mountain Whiskey."

Stranhans is like an Irish but is aged in new charred oak. I think that each dumping/batch contains about 20 barrels. I guess that you could think of it as 1 weeks production results in 2 batches, but in reality they are blending barrels from different years. They are not throwing out half of their production...

To me, Stranahans tastes like mint, bananna chips and skunk weed. I enjoy it, though I tend to only drink it at bars that have a limited bourbon selection.

Hrmm... I had OWA recently and found it to be quite nice. Especially within its price range. I'm relatively new to bourbon drinking, so I don't have the past bottlings to compare it to. One thing I agree with is Jean's comment about a saccharin/Weller-zero aftertaste... but it's mild.

Grabbed a bottle of Weller SR.

How do you like that Weller SR? Like I mentioned above, I just recently tried

OWA and enjoyed it. How does the SR compare?

How do you like that Weller SR? Like I mentioned above, I just recently tried OWA and enjoyed it. How does the SR compare?

I tend to prefer wheaters, so I like it a lot. I think most here would choose OWA and its higher proof, assuming the OWA has an age statement.

When choosing between the two, I would usually go with the OWA. Today, the difference in price - $20 for OWA and $15 for the SR - made the decision for me. :grin:

Dude, I'm right there with you. I've never tried the older OWA as I'm still a relative newbie....but I was thinking I was the only person on this board who didn't care for the current OWA stuff until reading this post. They do open up over about ~3 weeks or so, but in my opinion, even then it still ain't that great.

Fortunately, for my palate and in contrast to the negative comments on the Van Winkle thread, Weller 12 is one of my favorite pours. I think it more than holds its own against ORVW 90. Unlike most people who don't like the char in Weller 12, I like it. I'm not a huge wheater fan because I sense much more interesting stuff going on in rye bourbons, and the pronounced char/oak makes Weller 12 quite interesting for me, while maintaining lucious sweetness.

Hopefully later this summer I can do a OWA-ORVW 107 comparison...I'm very curious to see how these compare. Unlike the 90 proof comparison, I'm going to bet that ORVW 107 HAS to beat OWA

Got a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 while at Costco yesterday. Interested to try it as I have not had a lot of experience with Wild Turkey.

Best regards, Tony

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison between this OWA 107 and the ones with the 7 year age statement?

Stranhans is like an Irish but is aged in new charred oak. I think that each dumping/batch contains about 20 barrels. I guess that you could think of it as 1 weeks production results in 2 batches, but in reality they are blending barrels from different years. They are not throwing out half of their production...

To me, Stranahans tastes like mint, bananna chips and skunk weed. I enjoy it, though I tend to only drink it at bars that have a limited bourbon selection.

I had my first one a couple evenings ago at a restaurant. Not on my "buy" but it was ok.

Picked up a Vintage 17 at my local grocery store today. With the demise of V17 coming sooner than later I figured now was as good a time as any to start bunkering the stuff.

Best price I've seen in CA too, $59

On friday I got the last PHC 2010 Wheater on the shelf. My third bottle. Don't tell my wife. :thankyousign:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!