What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The youngest whiskey in Stranahans is 2 years old. As it says so on the label, it suffices the age check to qualify for a straight. Although I'm unsure if it meets the other requirements, the label does read "Straight Rocky Mountain Whiskey."

Unless they have updated the label since this http://www.stranahans.com/home/ Eric It doesn't say straight on the label. I looked before I made my post but it's quite possible they have changed the label and not updated the website.

Unless they have updated the label since this http://www.stranahans.com/home/ Eric It doesn't say straight on the label. I looked before I made my post but it's quite possible they have changed the label and not updated the website.

Paul, the label on their website is unfamiliar to me. Maybe that is the new one? Here is the COLA for Stranahan's which does say "Straight" on it.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=11019001000363

Right after the sale to Proximo it was hard to come by. Stores were getting just a few bottles at a time and it was 1 bottle per customer. I think they temporarily decreased their distribution and also increased production. Now it is all over the place and the you can actually find it on sale. I saw it over the weekend for $39 and the store had at least 4 cases set up in their display. I think the 40 barrels per week claim is outdated. The website has said that for a number of years now. Given how good sales are for the product (at least here locally) they would be silly not to have increased production.

Picked up a bottle of High West Double Rye and Breaking and Entering Bourbon this weekend. Looking forward to trying both out for the first time.

Snagged an EWSB1996 for $30, just had one bottle on the shelf hidden behind some more recent stuff.

Sounds like I also may have a WT101 Rye thanks to Tico's hunting skillz.

Four Roses Single Barrel. I've had many spirits of many varieties that were more expensive/elusive/rare/desired than this, but in the end this is probably still my favorite, or pretty close to it.

A case of AAA 10yr. Such a great bourbon for a great price and only just recently was I able to talk the local shop into carrying it.

Are ryes allowed in this thread?

I had never seen any good American rye whiskey in the Alabama ABC stores until today. Before, Jim Beam rye has been the only one. But now, they have Knob Creek rye for $40 and Bulleit 90-proof straight rye for $26. I bought a bottle of the Bulleit.

I haven't tried it yet, maybe later tonight.

Tim

Curiosity got the best of me-- I bought a bottle of Michter's American Whiskey. I then decided to pick up a bottle of OGD 114.

A case of AAA 10yr. Such a great bourbon for a great price and only just recently was I able to talk the local shop into carrying it.

Buying a whole case is a great way to convince your shopkeeper that they made the right choice... :lol:

Are ryes allowed in this thread?

I had never seen any good American rye whiskey in the Alabama ABC stores until today. Before, Jim Beam rye has been the only one. But now, they have Knob Creek rye for $40 and Bulleit 90-proof straight rye for $26. I bought a bottle of the Bulleit.

I haven't tried it yet, maybe later tonight.

Tim

The Bulleit Rye is pretty decent, if you like minty LDI ryes. Also, there is an "American Rye Whiskey" section in the "Other Alcohol Related Discussion" section.

Hopefully plenty enough people find out how good it is so that they continue to carry it!

12 OC BIB Louisville 7 year

3 ER 17 2009

2 OFP 1.75 1989

1 OFP 750 with stamps

1 Col EH Taylor 1st release

Just got another bottle of tax stripped Old Forester bib for $8 & picked up my Willett 21yo Stitzel Weller cask from k&L. Btw, anyone tried this 21yo yet?

picked up my Willett 21yo Stitzel Weller cask from k&L. Btw, anyone tried this 21yo yet?

Not yet as mine are still in LA. I thought Tico posted he bought three bottles. Tico are you gonna open one of those bad boys?

I saw an EC18 at the store a few weeks ago. When I learned a few days ago that Heaven Hill would stop bottling the EC18 for a while, I ran back to the store to get it. It had some dust on it and it said it was barreled in 1991.

I also got the most recent PHC and a EWSB barreled in 2002. That was the only EWSB they had - I was hoping to find something from 2000.

Not yet as mine are still in LA. I thought Tico posted he bought three bottles. Tico are you gonna open one of those bad boys?

Haven't had a chance to get into SF to pick mine up yet. Probably a good thing as I have way too much open at the moment! :cool:

If you do open the Willett 21, David at K&L in LA said, to let it open for a while that it really needs oxygen. Supposedly, it changed significantly after a couple of weeks. Not surprising really.

Tico if you open one let us know what you think. Mine will go into storage for a little while.

Picked up the last bottle of EC 18 my local spirits monger had on his shelf. If EC 18 is going on hiatus, I at least want a full bottle in my stash. This is the bourbon that switched me from scotch to bourbon back in 2009.

Picked up one of the Willett SB Ryes that have hit the ATL market. 4yr @ 110 proof. I'm looking forward to comparing and contrasting with the 5yr Toddy's Willett Rye I picked up last fall.

Found a 4 Roses Single Barrel gift set for $28.99, 750 bottle of the 4RSB 100 proof with 2 4R rocks glasses. I didn't really need it, but typically around Atlanta the regular price for the 4RSB is closer to $40. Figured it will eventually get consumed. It will probably taste better at $28.99 + tax.

Good day-multi store purchases.

WT American Spirit

Four Roses Mariage 2009

High West 21yr

Black Maple Hill 23yr Rye x2

Pyrat Cask 1623-I know, not even whiskey-, but a insanely killer price compared to any other store I've ever seen.

The BMH was the knockout surprise of the day. Looking for a particular stock, couldn't find it, but went down another block and saw a place in a strip mall. Getting out of the car, my expectations were not high, walking in the door, those thoughts were confirmed. THe store was pretty sparse, but looking at the limited bourbon selection, I was taken off guard by by a large display of Woodford Sweet Mash. Surprising to say the least.

THe owner came over a asked me if I wanted to see some other items they hadn't put out yet, sure, why not. Willet pot still, Rowans creek, Kentucky XO, nice, but no go.

Looking back behind the register I see a familiar bottle, but yet different. Same label, wax top, but the color looked funny,kind of faint from the distance. Asking him to see one, I was pretty shocked to see what it was.

So, home they came.

I just can't figure out how he got them. THey just shouldn't exist. Especially in that store. Just goes to show, never just a store by what it looks like.

B

Good day-multi store purchases.

WT American Spirit

Four Roses Mariage 2009

High West 21yr

Black Maple Hill 23yr Rye x2

Pyrat Cask 1623-I know, not even whiskey-, but a insanely killer price compared to any other store I've ever seen.

The BMH was the knockout surprise of the day. Looking for a particular stock, couldn't find it, but went down another block and saw a place in a strip mall. Getting out of the car, my expectations were not high, walking in the door, those thoughts were confirmed. THe store was pretty sparse, but looking at the limited bourbon selection, I was taken off guard by by a large display of Woodford Sweet Mash. Surprising to say the least.

THe owner came over a asked me if I wanted to see some other items they hadn't put out yet, sure, why not. Willet pot still, Rowans creek, Kentucky XO, nice, but no go.

Looking back behind the register I see a familiar bottle, but yet different. Same label, wax top, but the color looked funny,kind of faint from the distance. Asking him to see one, I was pretty shocked to see what it was.

So, home they came.

I just can't figure out how he got them. THey just shouldn't exist. Especially in that store. Just goes to show, never just a store by what it looks like.

B

If you want to trade one of the BMH 23 Rye, Just let me know whats on your wish list.

Hidden

Let me know what you think, Joe. I've picked up a bottle also but haven't opened it yet. I have way too many open bottles and am trying to drink a few down before I open another.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!