What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey it's a week past 4th of July and most of us have been broiling for weeks. It also looks like finally, by late summer, us Illinois folk will be able to buy Oskar Blues here in our home state. Binny's put this out yesterday and is having a launch party the week of August 20 at the South Loop store.

And my latest beer quaffs have been the readily accessible SN Torpedo and GL Dortmunder Gold.

Hey it's a week past 4th of July and most of us have been broiling for weeks. It also looks like finally, by late summer, us Illinois folk will be able to buy Oskar Blues here in our home state. Binny's put this out yesterday and is having a launch party the week of August 20 at the South Loop store.

And my latest beer quaffs have been the readily accessible SN Torpedo and GL Dortmunder Gold.

That's good news, Big T. I've been hearing guys rave about Oskar Blues for ages now and will finally get to try some. Last night I had a couple of bottles of New Belgium Somersault and they did absolutely nothing for me. I was looking for something summery and refreshing and the guy at Trader Joe's told me that the Somersault had a hint of apricot, kind of like Magic Hat #9. I must have missed something, as I found the beer too light and a tad fizzy without any of the bold flavors of #9. But now you've got me thinking about GL Dortmunder Gold...:grin:

It also looks like finally, by late summer, us Illinois folk will be able to buy Oskar Blues here in our home state. Binny's put this out yesterday and is having a launch party the week of August 20 at the South Loop store.

That's great news; for all the praise I've heard about Oskar Blues, I've never tasted any. Looking forward to it.

I've been slowly drinking the last 6-pack of Zombie Dust I think I'll find for awhile while otherwise bathing myself in DFH 60min. Man, I love that stuff! I also took a chance with Victory's Headwater's Pale Ale; nothing to it, won't be buying it again.

Arcadia Ales Sky High rye today.

Not a bad little number.

I prefer Founders Red's Rye PA though.

Dortmunder Gold.

Enough people here have spoken highly of it that I had to give it a whirl.

Homebrew Rye tonight, around 5%, light spicy body, hoppy flavor and finish without being overly bitter as it didn't have the body to carry much bitterness.

Czechvar and Primator, two classic Bohemian pilsners that I wish I could find on tap.

I think I'll open a Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown (9% abv brown ale aged on hazelnut coffee) and Jester King Petit Prince (3% farmhouse ale) tonight with some friends. I think I'll bring over some bourbon or rye tonight to, just have to decide which

Stopped and had a Dogfish Head Unkontinent and a Founders Double Trouble in between work and home.

Tried a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy earlier. It's not the beer for me to say the least. I'd rather have a Sprite. Moved on to an OB Old Chub, an old standby, glad to hear some of you guys are now going to get OB in your local stores. Can't decide what to have next, have an Odell's Mountain Standard in the cave, but I think its time to move on to a pour of OWA, then off to bed.

Czechvar and Primator, two classic Bohemian pilsners that I wish I could find on tap.

For Czechvar on tap try Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave. 60647

For Czechvar on tap try Quenchers Saloon, 2401 N. Western Ave. 60647
Edited by T Comp

Bell's Third Coast this afternoon on a terribly hot day in Kalamzoo, MI.

And Quenchers is only one block north of one of the best aquarium smoker bbq places in town, Honey1 BBQ, run by Robert Adams Sr. and JR. The tips and links match the excellence of the 2 southside joints, Uncle John's and Lem's.

Unfortunately it looks like Czechvar is now off the tap menu boys but the Arcadia Hop Mouth, North Coast Le Merle and Unibroue Blanche de Chambly are just a few of the 22 on tap that could keep my interest for awhile.

Thanks for the info. Beer and BBQ on a Sunday afternoon sounds like a plan.

Actually, we're liking the Leiney Summer Shandy. Had a few at Lumpy's (on tap) and at Pitlik's (bottles) in Eagle River, WI over the weekend. More lemony than the Shocktop Lemon Shandy. I can see how some wouldn't like it as it has a strong lemonade taste, but on a hot summer day, it's pretty good.

IMAG0932.jpg

IMAG0937.jpg

Founder's Red Rye P.A. to end this mostly good, some meh, work day.

I did not care for the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, it was super sweet and artificial tasting. Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it. Just not a beer for me.

Right now I am having an Old Chub from OB. It's a big beer, lots of malt, rich but not too much so. Always been a good beer, especially for $7.99 for a 6pk.

SN Torpedo last night. I like this beer a lot, but it didn't really hit the spot last night.

Round Guys Berliner Weisse and Green Flash Double Stout at Memphis Taproom in Philly last night.

Round Guys is a local brewery, so I wanted to support them and buy a pour. It annoyed me that the 4% abv beer came in a tulip, but w/e. The beer though was very tart up front, but had no finish it tasted mostly like fizzy lemon water. It didn't have the wheaty finish or flavor the better Berliners have. I know the body is supposed to be superlight, but in this case it was non-existent.

The Green Flash Double Stout was perfectly fine, but pretty boring. I had tried almost everything else on the draft list, or was not interested in them so I figured I'd give this beer a shot. It was fine, not too bitter or sweet, moderate roastiness and full bodied. It just wasn't as assertive as I was expecting.

Neither beers were disappointing, but nothing great either.

Beck's!

It is now brewed in the States and as far as I am concerned, i) follows the original recipe, and ii) is superior to the import due to the freshness factor. It tastes like a good craft beer and lager is a style difficult to get right for microbrewers. Sometimes licensing arrangements (or however they have done it) are salutary.

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!