What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a Yuengling lager at the beach today and some New Glarus Raspberry Tart with a dinner of grilled Salmon and veggies with roasted potatoes

Wow, been going crazy on beer lately. Haven't had a pour of bourbon in weeks.

Had a great tasting with friends this weekend who are fellow beer geeks and we popped a few hard to get brews

• Pliny: Always great, but light and smooth compared to other DIPAs
  • Ballast Point Dorado DIPA: Heard they haven't brewed a batch in a long time. Agree with another review that called it a "super Sculpin." Highly tasty
  • Alpine Pure Hoppiness: Holy cow, can't believe I found some of this. Finding Alpine these days is so hard. Great well balanced DIPA
  • Stone Ruination 10th Anny: Love me some stone, but talk about an acquired taste. BIG hops, and BIG malt. Surprisingly sweet to go with the huge bitter.

Switched over to some sours

• Consecration: Can't ever go wrong here
  • Bruery Tart of Darkness: Oh man! A little one dimensional with the sour (not so much tart or barnyard) but MAN so tasty! Would love to stock up on this

And for desert:

• Firestone Parabola 2012: MMM! First time I've had it. I can understand the hype. Great way to finish the night.

Have to admit that I'm jealous of those that can get fresh Zombie Dust! I've been enjoying Drake's Alpha Session instead out here.

A few to many Founders Red's Rye PA last night but that's OK, the vacation continues.

I'm on a beer kick of late. Kinda gotten bored with bourbon (!). Right now I'm drinking some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Good quality stuff.

I normally don't like my Guinness ice cold (or to even drink much stout during the hot weather months) but I cut the grass today and had a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout 22 oz. bomber straight from the freezer after 30 minutes chilling time. Man, that beer hit the spot and has me re-thinking porters and stouts this time of year. Nice suggestion, Mr. Gillman!

Dogfish Head Burton Baton, very flavorful, hoppy, but the hops are very balanced and well integrated.

Had a few new ones tonight at The Fountainhead on Chicago's north side. Three beers, all brewed within an hour of the gastropub. Half Acre's Akari Shogun, the kegs of which could literally have been rolled or dollied over from the brewery three blocks away -- decent pale wheat ale. Followed that with an Anti-Hero IPA by Revolution Brewing -- again nice enough, but nothing great. (My city friends tell me it's not one of Revolution's better offerings. This one probably made it over by truck; the brewery is a few miles away from the venue.) The third one was a very tasty white ale with coriander, Khloros by Solemn Oath Brewing of Naperville, IL (closer to my own home than where I was). It's good to drink local!

Had a few new ones tonight at The Fountainhead on Chicago's north side. Three beers, all brewed within an hour of the gastropub. Half Acre's Akari Shogun, the kegs of which could literally have been rolled or dollied over from the brewery three blocks away -- decent pale wheat ale. Followed that with an Anti-Hero IPA by Revolution Brewing -- again nice enough, but nothing great. (My city friends tell me it's not one of Revolution's better offerings. This one probably made it over by truck; the brewery is a few miles away from the venue.) The third one was a very tasty white ale with coriander, Khloros by Solemn Oath Brewing of Naperville, IL (closer to my own home than where I was). It's good to drink local!

I had the same feeling about Anti-Hero IPA. Maybe they should re-name it Anti-Climax IPA.:grin: I'm still the last person in Chicago who hasn't sampled the entire Half Acre line, and I didn't even know Solemn Oath existed!

I've missed out on a lot of Half Acre product because I don't generally buy growlers due to their short shelf life. (Half of their releases never make it to bottles or cans. I lived a block from the brewery back in 2000-2001 and would've felt differently back when I was hosting a weekly poker game. Shame they waited to open 'til I had moved out of the city.) I love their imperial stouts, Big Hugs (coffee stout) and Baume (rye stout). Maybe I should throw one in the freezer before mowing the lawn this weekend! :cool:

I also had a can of this abomination last night. It was brown and smokey alright, but otherwise didn't live up to its name.

I had the same feeling about Anti-Hero IPA. Maybe they should re-name it Anti-Climax IPA.:grin: I'm still the last person in Chicago who hasn't sampled the entire Half Acre line, and I didn't even know Solemn Oath existed!

I ran into the Anti-Hero IPA on tap at Whole Foods last night while picking up a quick dinner, and I couldn't resist. Context was king, as it hit the spot for me. It wasn't the most balanced IPA I've had, but it was super fresh with a hint of pine on the palate crown and a thick weighty finish.

As for Half Acre, I loved Daisy Cutter a few years ago, but it's gotten sweeter since then and I don't care for it anymore. I do wish they brewed their Double Daisy Cutter more often, though, because I really liked that stuff.

Moving on, I picked up a 6er of Central Water Glacial Trail IPA after seeing mention of the brewery in here. A completely neutral IPA with nothing very interesting about it at all. A let down.

Had a Yuengling lager at the beach today and some New Glarus Raspberry Tart with a dinner of grilled Salmon and veggies with roasted potatoes

Despite their recent expansion in distribution, I'm still not seeing Yuengling around here, though I continually look whenever I hit my local liquor stores. One case ought to do me and will be nice to have in the beer fridge.

Two local beers from West Sixth...

Had their Saison Bellaire and Second Fiddle Simcoe. Plus some tongue tacos from a Mexican food truck. Good night.

I have never had a Sierra Nevada of any type so today I picked up a 6-pak of their Torpedo Extra IPA.

It weighs in at 65 IBU's and 7.2% ABV.

Decent dark copper color and an off white head, good looking brew.

It was a bit subdued for my taste and had this bothersome pine needle taste and aroma, although it's faint but pine just isn't my favorite flavor.

Now I have to admit that this wasn't a fair tasting for Torpedo, these past 4 or 5 months I have been on a steady beer diet of the best in the country.

Arcadia HopMouth & Hop Rocket, Bell's Hopslam and Founders Double Trouble & Red's Rye PA.

Take away the pine taste and Torpedo would be a decent session beer but nothing to get excited about.

Good timing on the Torpedo. Today is #IPAday

I got a bomber of Stone Ruination and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid to celebrate.

Couple of American IPAs to celebrate National IPA Day: an Avery IPA and a Solemn Oath Snaggletooth Bandana.

Having a Bud Light Lime-a-Rrta. Keep hearing about this stuff and finally found some. Not bad over ice!

Thomas

Couple of bottles of Atwater Dirty Blonde (from Detroit) this afternoon which hit the spot. But tonight I'm going with Radeberger Pilsner, a fine East German beer, and I'm planning on having plenty of 'em. (And some bourbon too but I haven't worked out that end of things yet.)

A Dark Horse IPA on tap at a bar today with lunch.

Dark Horse is in Marshall MI, one of many great MI brews.

I had a surprisingly light lunch of Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. I'm usually not a big fan of stouts, but I thought it balanced a roasted chocolate maltiness with good carbonation for a less syrupy texture that I prefer.

I followed it up with a Green Flash Imperial IPA that was delicious! Not as piney and complex as 3 Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf, but a well-hopped, very refreshing beer that handles its ABV well.

Stopped at a local brick & mortar on the way home to see what's new and I find something old.

Two 4-paks of Arcadia Hop Rocket made their way home with me and only 5 are left.

Saranac Rye IPA, "We've stepped away from the mold of typical IPA's and selected premium Rye Malt and a unique mix of spicy hops..."

Tastes like a good IPA.

Magic Hat #9. This beer improves after it warms a bit. I pulled two from the fridge at the same time and the second bottle was much better than the first.

Fresh Heady Topper from The Alchemist.

Amen to that. Though mine is already 23 days old, so it's lost all of its hops. :lol:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!