What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did not care for the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, it was super sweet and artificial tasting. Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it.

No one drinks Shandy on it's own in Wisconsin. It's blended with Leine's Berry in a 50/50 mixture. No B.S.

I did not care for the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, it was super sweet and artificial tasting. Seemed like a Bud Light with Minute Maid powder dumped in it. Just not a beer for me.

I've been enjoying some nice homemade shandys this summer -- about two and a half parts Anchor Summer Ale to one part Pellegrino Limonata.

I've been enjoying some nice homemade shandys this summer -- about two and a half parts Anchor Summer Ale to one part Pellegrino Limonata.

Now you're talking, man. That sounds like a fine shandy for a hot summer day. Think I'll grab the stuff to make my own this weekend.

Last night I finished off the three remaining bottles of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold hiding in the back of the fridge and then couldn't find anything else to follow with that appealed to me. I hate that when that happens.

Now you're talking, man. That sounds like a fine shandy for a hot summer day. Think I'll grab the stuff to make my own this weekend.

Back into the 90s tomorrow -- sounds like a smart plan.

I may have to dig into my new, very precious stash of Heady Topper....

A local establishment with a nice selection has a new one on tap, Duhbe Imperial Black IPA from Uinta Brewing out of Utah. It does not show its 9.2% ABV but there is no doubt about its 109 IBU. An excellent and complex beer showcasing the American Black Ale style of both hoppy and malt roasty. It was served just a bit too cold and of course improved as it warmed up from its initial pour.

I bought a case of Budweiser for my birthday yesterday, iced it in a cooler on the deck, and my son and I drank it while we were putting together my Big Green Egg.

Tim

just picked up 2 cases of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend [Quadruple], 750 mL corked, for my daughter's wedding in October ... I have 47 bottles left. :lol:

Stillwater Of Love and Regret Saison, a Tyranena Hop Whore, and some homebrews.

As is usually the case, I've been all over with the beers lately. Tonight's choice was a clunker, a bomber of Take Two by Two Brothers. It's #5 in the brewery's "15 for 15 series," and while it's a vaguely interesting concept -- take two types of water, barley, hops and yeasts and brew it up -- it has yielded one decidedly bland lager-ish result. Still, it'll be interesting to try all 15 beers in this series over a week or two period at the end of the year, assuming I manage to squirrel away an extra bottle each of the final eight releases.

Cracked open a bomber of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale last night, which is a strong brown ale brewed with hazelnut-flavored coffee. The hazelnut flavor stood out more than the coffee, and while it was interesting to drink a beer reminiscent of Toffifay candy, I sorta regret that I still have another one of these as they're overpriced at 13 bucks.

Best thing I've had this week was a Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale, a rye beer aged in rye barrels. Similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye, though with a somewhat stronger whiskey component. Many thanks to Whiskey Wonka for giving me this rare beer, brewed exclusively for Julio's Loch & Key Society. Chased it with a Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, which led me to the sleep of the angels.

Think I'll indulge in some more summer-appropriate beers this weekend. Cheers!

As is usually the case, I've been all over with the beers lately. Tonight's choice was a clunker, a bomber of Take Two by Two Brothers. It's #5 in the brewery's "15 for 15 series," and while it's a vaguely interesting concept -- take two types of water, barley, hops and yeasts and brew it up -- it has yielded one decidedly bland lager-ish result. Still, it'll be interesting to try all 15 beers in this series over a week or two period at the end of the year, assuming I manage to squirrel away an extra bottle each of the final eight releases.

Cracked open a bomber of Founder's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale last night, which is a strong brown ale brewed with hazelnut-flavored coffee. The hazelnut flavor stood out more than the coffee, and while it was interesting to drink a beer reminiscent of Toffifay candy, I sorta regret that I still have another one of these as they're overpriced at 13 bucks.

Best thing I've had this week was a Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale, a rye beer aged in rye barrels. Similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye, though with a somewhat stronger whiskey component. Many thanks to Whiskey Wonka for giving me this rare beer, brewed exclusively for Julio's Loch & Key Society. Chased it with a Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and a Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, which led me to the sleep of the angels.

Think I'll indulge in some more summer-appropriate beers this weekend. Cheers!

A local establishment with a nice selection has a new one on tap, Duhbe Imperial Black IPA from Uinta Brewing out of Utah. It does not show its 9.2% ABV but there is no doubt about its 109 IBU. An excellent and complex beer showcasing the American Black Ale style of both hoppy and malt roasty. It was served just a bit too cold and of course improved as it warmed up from its initial pour.

just picked up 2 cases of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend [Quadruple], 750 mL corked, for my daughter's wedding in October ... I have 47 bottles left. :lol:

Tyranena and Central Waters are doing some nice stuff these days, though I haven't checked out the ones you mentioned. Their IPA's were quite good and I look forward to sampling more of their brews.

I keep coming back to Founders Dirty Bastard - It's a desert beer that I find myself pouring every evening. Just delicious, YMMV of course.

I'm a huge fan of both. Central Waters does a lot of barrel aging -- both the bourbon barrel stout and bourbon barrel barleywine are great, relatively easy to find upon release (especially the stout) and nicely priced at 12 bucks a four pack (bearing in mind this is high-octane brew). And I believe they've actually expanded their capacity for barreling over the past few months.

If you told me that I could only drink beers from the Lake Michigan states for the rest of my life, I'd actually be okay with that. New Glarus, Tyranena, Central Waters, Goose Island, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Two Brothers, Three Floyds, Founders, Bell's -- all favorites of mine. And I haven't even had anything yet from the likes of Revolution and Jolly Pumpkin!

Then head over to Brixie's ASAP because they now have several Revolution beers on tap. I'm with you on the upper Midwest beer thing. Wisconsin and Michigan are kicking ass these days and Indiana and Illinois aren't far behind. These are great beer times!

Then head over to Brixie's ASAP because they now have several Revolution beers on tap. I'm with you on the upper Midwest beer thing. Wisconsin and Michigan are kicking ass these days and Indiana and Illinois aren't far behind. These are great beer times!

Thanks for the tip! I may have to head there tomorrow night to see my buddy's band play. (Half of my graduating class from high school is going to be in attendance.) And according to beermenus.com, I can punch off FFF Gorch Fock from my untried beers list too. Plus, Founder's Devil Dancer for $9.50 a bottle is a steal, relatively speaking. And two beers from Solemn Oath? Naperville, represent! lol

That sounds great. Where did you find it, Thad?

The Glenview House in where else but Glenview :grin:. An original 1878 building and roadhouse that underwent a multi dollars renovation and transformation; from long worn out tavern to gastropub, by new owners also associated with a place in the city proper, Bar on Buena.

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Cerise today along with a PHC Golden Anniversary. I haven't decided yet which one I am drinking tonight.

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Cerise today along with a PHC Golden Anniversary. I haven't decided yet which one I am drinking tonight.

Mix 'em together in an attempt to one-up Red Stag? :grin:

Mix 'em together in an attempt to one-up Red Stag? :grin:

Good one. I laughed so hard I almost choked myself.

The Bruery Tart of Darkness sour. A little unique in that it is a sour stout instead of the normal lambic or flemish oud bruin. Very, very sour, slight roastiness underneath the sour, excellent beer.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!