What Beer Are You Drinking - Summer 2012

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste.

I haven't developed a taste for very hoppy beers. I'd say Anchor Steam Beer nails the sort of bitterness I enjoy. But I've been looking for a domestic pilsner to replace Anchor Steam as my summer go-to. Does anyone have any suggestions for a craft pilsner or something similar that's nationally available (or at least near Santa Barbara, CA)?

Thanks

Ran through what a buddy termed my "best of summer" flight yester-eve -- New Glarus Spotted Cow, Bells Oberon, Arcadia Whitsun and Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss.

Then for a night cap, some delicious Boulevard Rye-on-Rye.

Ran through what a buddy termed my "best of summer" flight yester-eve -- New Glarus Spotted Cow, Bells Oberon, Arcadia Whitsun and Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss.

Then for a night cap, some delicious Boulevard Rye-on-Rye.

Those Boulevard beers ain't too shabby. I had never even heard of Boulevard until earlier this year but I've enjoyed everything I've had so far.

Watching the woman's soccer game and enjoying some Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's and some Dale's Pale Ale...Go USA...:)

Those Boulevard beers ain't too shabby. I had never even heard of Boulevard until earlier this year but I've enjoyed everything I've had so far.

They just entered the Chicago market last year IIRC. Very solid offerings all around. I eagerly await their fall offering, Bob's '47 Oktoberfest.

I'm having lunch in Naperville tomorrow at the new Q location, then planning to hit Solemn Oath's tasting room afterwards.

A new brewery in town, Red Hare Brewing has been getting some pretty good pub and a fair amount of exposure. So, I'm trying their "Long Day Lager" Bohemian style pilsner after work. Nice golden beer, that's not in the least bit bitter, very full creamy body, and a good solid drinker. Nothing "off" in it whatsoever. Pretty good for this brewery which is not yet one year old. Based on this positive experience, I'll certainly seek out their other offerings.

A new brewery in town, Red Hare Brewing has been getting some pretty good pub and a fair amount of exposure. So, I'm trying their "Long Day Lager" Bohemian style pilsner after work. Nice golden beer, that's not in the least bit bitter, very full creamy body, and a good solid drinker. Nothing "off" in it whatsoever. Pretty good for this brewery which is not yet one year old. Based on this positive experience, I'll certainly seek out their other offerings.

I liked it too, Joe. Picked up a growler of the Long Day a while back and it went fast.

Fremont Brewing Company's Kentucky Dark Star Stout. I scored a case of it after having had it at a local beer club gathering. It's one of the best stouts I've ever had the pleasure of putting to my lips, and I can't wait to see how it is after it has been laid down for a few years.

Can't wait to try the Red Hare offerings when I get to Atlanta in a couple of weeks.

Back to the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout last night as the temps dipped into the low 60's. Naturally, I had to have some Irish whiskey to go with it--a bird can't fly on just one wing--so I poured a nice tall glass Connemara Peated Single Malt and away I went.

A Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while listening to the Braves on the radio, tonight. Wonderful. So wonderful, that I may judge all other "Big Hoppy Beers" against it....Of course...I...was listenin' to a Braves 6-0 shutout...:crazy: Maybe...influenced my opinion....:D

Uinta Twisted Smile Imp Pils. Very flavorful, bigger and more flavorful than DFH My Antonia, not as hoppy as the old Sam Adams Hallertauer Imp Pils.

A Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while listening to the Braves on the radio, tonight. Wonderful. So wonderful, that I may judge all other "Big Hoppy Beers" against it....Of course...I...was listenin' to a Braves 6-0 shutout...:crazy: Maybe...influenced my opinion....:D

I like that one too, Joe. And it's always priced well around here compared to the other Imperial IPA-type bombers on the shelf. And the Braves march on. Always good listening to baseball on the radio. Makes for a nice change of pace from sitting in front of the tube which my young son still can't understand. ("Why listen when you can go inside and watch it?):grin:

Bought a 6 pack of Czechvar. I stopped buying it and Pilsner Urquell a few years ago because too often the beer tasted funky. But hot weather had me craving a clean, no-nonsense beer and my recent experiment with a domestic pilsner (Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils) didn't end well. Happily the Czechvar tastes great. It is a little less bitter than I remember, although I think it was always sweeter than Pilsner Urquell. Taste memory is a tricky thing.

Bought a 6 pack of Czechvar. I stopped buying it and Pilsner Urquell a few years ago because too often the beer tasted funky. But hot weather had me craving a clean, no-nonsense beer and my recent experiment with a domestic pilsner (Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils) didn't end well. Happily the Czechvar tastes great. It is a little less bitter than I remember, although I think it was always sweeter than Pilsner Urquell. Taste memory is a tricky thing.

Czechvar is an outstanding Bohemian beer and one that I still enjoy a great deal after all these years. Pilsner Urquell, at least to my taste buds, isn't is good as it once was, perhaps due to shortcuts taken to keep up with the export market, so I actually prefer Czechvar these days over PU. If available in your area, you may wish to seek out Primator and Bakalar for other fine examples of quality Bohemian beer.

Czechvar is an outstanding Bohemian beer and one that I still enjoy a great deal after all these years. If available in your area, you may wish to seek out Primator and Bakalar for other fine examples of quality Bohemian beer.

Unclebunk, thanks very much for the tip. I'll see if Primator or Bakalar are available nearby. I tried another domestic Pilsner today, Lagunitas Pils, and it's much to sweet for my taste. The Czechvar has a nice sharp, bitterness to it that makes it much more enjoyable to me.

Half Acre Brewery right here in Chicago collaborates with 3 Floyds a few times a year, and their latest batch is Shewolf, an IPA coming in around 8%. I was lucky enough to take the day off today and grab a handful of bombers of this intense IPA that is very much like the love child of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Zombie Dust. It has a beautiful grassy citrus profile of hops and just enough malt to flesh out the body and round out the finish.

Nothing like a well-hopped fresh-brewed IPA in my book, especially (and not to take anything away from my local Half Acre) from the boys at 3 Floyds.

post-7081-14489818173597_thumb.jpg

Unclebunk, thanks very much for the tip. I'll see if Primator or Bakalar are available nearby. I tried another domestic Pilsner today, Lagunitas Pils, and it's much to sweet for my taste. The Czechvar has a nice sharp, bitterness to it that makes it much more enjoyable to me.

I'm afraid the Bakalar will be hard to find. Even with our huge Czech community here in Chicago, I rarely see it on the shelves. (I know of one or two outlets nearby that carry it but that's about it.) If you do track down Primator (an excellent pilsner that tastes quite a bit like Gambrinus which sadly is no longer exported to the US), be sure to get their standard pilsner and not the bock, which is okay but not really the one you're after. Staropramen from Prague is decent too but not as good as these others, IMO. Happy hunting!

Tonight, it's more like what beer I'm not drinking....and then pouring down the drain....Sam Adams "Thirteenth Hour". Hideous. Blech...Blech...BLECH!!!! Tasted like an over coffeed stout that is mixed 50:50 with stale Cold Duck...BLECH!!!!! Did I say, BLECH!!!!! Yuck...spit...spit...thwaeeaapppp...spit...

Now, I'll just go to a Two Hearted Ale to try and cleanse the funk.

And Zombie Dust follows the Shewolf to perfect effect; less malty body more overload on grassy citrus. Mmmmmmm...

post-7081-14489818173917_thumb.jpg

post-7081-14489818174159_thumb.jpg

Enjoyed two and a half snifters of Firestone-Walker Parabola Barrel-Aged Stout on tap last night -- outstanding beer for the cool evening. Also had yet another winner from Lagunitas, Fusion VIII, and a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' from them as well. Can't wait for Lagunitas to set up their tasting room on the near south side later this year, and the brewery next year.

3F Zombie Dust on tap from a freshly tapped keg and North Coast Old Stock Ale 2011 also from the tap.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!