What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a couple of Moretti La Rossa's at family dinner at the local Italian joint. I always forget how enjoyable this beer is, between the 2 times per year that I drink it. Nice malty backbone with a touch of sweetness. Easy drinking, and went well with the Chicken Marsala.

Had a couple of Moretti La Rossa's at family dinner at the local Italian joint. I always forget how enjoyable this beer is, between the 2 times per year that I drink it. Nice malty backbone with a touch of sweetness. Easy drinking, and went well with the Chicken Marsala.

Funny you should mention this beer, Joe. I went looking for Moretti's Doppio Malto recently and couldn't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if the La Rossa is the same beer with an altered name/label. Your description of the flavor matches the DM which I always loved.

Edited by unclebunk

Bass Ale on draft.

This classic from the 70's (whose heyday was actually the 1870's) is a "keg" beer, i.e., a pasteurized, filtered pale ale which differs by its nature from the unpasteurized and often unfiltered craft ales which have held court amongst the aficionados since 1980. There is some naturally-conditioned Bass Draught available still in England, but it is hard to find.

Bass is one of the oldest names in English brewing and this current draft, brewed I understand in the U.S., is very good. It offers a strong flavor of caramel malt, yellow fruits and apples. It reminded me somewhat of a number of Belgian ales, and it wouldn't surprise me if English ales mid-1800's tasted like many Belgian beers do today due probably to use of multi-strain yeasts.

This particular flavour of Bass is not something I embrace at first sip but it grows on you. It is clearly a taste inherited from long ago, no one would "invent" a flavour like this for "today's" market.

Tasted at the Sheraton Hotel, Toronto, tonight which was rather quiet after work, understandably.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.