What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What did you think of Backwoods Bastard? I had it for the first time this year, and found it to be pretty respectable. Some insist it's "thin" this year.

And how great is it that there's so much BCBS to be had this year in the Chicago area? I frequent a store in the western 'burbs that has six cases just sitting on the floor. And city Dominicks and Walgreens locations have even been stocking it.

Really enjoyed it, didn't think it was thin, but I didn't have it last year to compare. Absolutely love that BCBS is going year-round and that it has been plentiful. One of the best beers in the world being widely available in my hometown? Awesome. I've got a couple cases in my cellar, really excited to try them over the next few years.

Really enjoyed it, didn't think it was thin, but I didn't have it last year to compare. Absolutely love that BCBS is going year-round and that it has been plentiful. One of the best beers in the world being widely available in my hometown? Awesome. I've got a couple cases in my cellar, really excited to try them over the next few years.

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Main Street Liquors in Countryside may still have four packs available.

You should seek it out because it is TEH AWESOME!

Heard a rumor Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer Ale is on special so if we go to the store today that will be the choice.

Still on a brown ale kick and decided to check out Tyranena's (from Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge, described as an American brown ale with "a portion aged in bourbon barrels." I'm guessing the portion is very small, as there was no discernible bourbon influence that I could detect. Having said that, the beer was quite tasty and well worth the purchase, if only because it had a nice malty flavor and nutty aroma. I don't think Samuel Smith has anything to worry about but this was better than most American attempts at brown ale. As with all ales, the beer improved immensely when it began to warm up a bit, with improved body and head retention after 20 minutes out of the fridge.

Still on a brown ale kick and decided to check out Tyranena's (from Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge, described as an American brown ale with "a portion aged in bourbon barrels." I'm guessing the portion is very small, as there was no discernible bourbon influence that I could detect. Having said that, the beer was quite tasty and well worth the purchase, if only because it had a nice malty flavor and nutty aroma. I don't think Samuel Smith has anything to worry about but this was better than most American attempts at brown ale. As with all ales, the beer improved immensely when it began to warm up a bit, with improved body and head retention after 20 minutes out of the fridge.

Tasty brew indeed despite the moderate barrel influence. Did you in fact get some Bourbon County Stout this week? They released bombers of the coffee and cherry variants last week, which set off the usual whale hunt.

Tasty brew indeed despite the moderate barrel influence. Did you in fact get some Bourbon County Stout this week? They released bombers of the coffee and cherry variants last week, which set off the usual whale hunt.

Yes. I got a four pack from Main Street but was saving it for tonight. BTW, if you venture as far as Brixie's for beer, have you ever been to Leo's Liquors here in Brookfield? That guy has gone insane in the last year with his microbrewery section and he's now blown past Main Street in terms of selection. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

Yes. I got a four pack from Main Street but was saving it for tonight. BTW, if you venture as far as Brixie's for beer, have you ever been to Leo's Liquors here in Brookfield? That guy has gone insane in the last year with his microbrewery section and he's now blown past Main Street in terms of selection. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

I've heard good things about Leo's from a friend in Riverside but haven't been. I'll take your recommendation and run with it sometime soon.

Speaking of Brixie's, they're doing up Bourbon County Stout with a post-keg vanilla bean infusion tonight. Wish I could make it.

Edited by stevegoz

I've heard good things about Leo's from a friend in Riverside but haven't been. I'll take your recommendation and run with it sometime soon.

Speaking of Brixie's, they're doing up Bourbon County Stout with a post-keg vanilla bean infusion tonight. Wish I could make it.

Was thinking of wandering over to Brixie's if I can sneak away this evening. (My daughter is having a multi-kid sleepover, so I'm doubting my wife will be too happy about my absence. But it is Bourbon County Stout, after all.):grin: By all means, check Leo's out. Take Ogden past Brixie's and go north (left) on Maple where Dunkin' Donuts is. Stay on Maple over the tracks until you get to the traffic circle (or "roundabout" as my wife continually reminds me) and you'll be looking straight at the place. It looks small but the store goes back quite a way and the whole rear of the store is beer, beer and more beer. Expect to pay an extra buck here and there but the selection is worth it. Happy hunting!

Heck, I'm calling it a day. Had a pretty dang good week. This Bell's Christmas Ale is a pleasant beer to settle down with.

What didn't I drink tonight? Joined five of my friends in a one-of-a-kind tour of the Goose Island Chicago brewery and barrel houses tonight, conducted by Brewmaster Brett Porter and Barrel-Aging Program Manager John Laffler (who is leaving the company to start his own brewery). The two were very candid and open to our many questions, and we got to try eight or so experimental beers straight from the barrel, including barrel-aged stouts, a barleywine, a few saisons and some interesting variants of existing beers, like a grapefruit version of Sofie. And to top it off, they rotated in a five-gallon keg of Bourbon County Cherry Rye, which is very fruit-forward now but should relax a bit with some age.

One rumor dispelled by Porter: Bourbon County Stout will not be a year-round product, so even though there's still some on shelves now in a few places we shouldn't expect any more shipments of the 2012 batch. On a happier note, Porter said they may in fact do Bourbon County Vanilla again. And, oh yes, it won't be King Henry but there will be a barrel-aged barleywine coming out again.

Bourbon County Stout is aged in Heaven Hill barrels; the Bourbon County Rye is aged in Templeton barrels. They're also experimenting with some Koval barrels, which are only 35 gallons, more because of the unique single-grain whiskeys Koval does than because of the smaller size/accelerated aging.

Pulled out a 2011 Stone RIS. A textbook RIS. Delicious roasted and toasted malt, coffee hints, prune...find it, cellar it, enjoy it.

2012 Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I'm liking it much more than I liked the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest.

2012 Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I'm liking it much more than I liked the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest.

I picked up a bottle of this today. Looking forward to trying it, I liked both hemispheres' harvest ales last year.

Had a few bottles of Leffe Brune last night. Very solid Belgian brown ale but tasted better to my recollection when I had it in Belgium and France. Of course, the scenery and atmosphere on those trips made everything taste better!:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.