What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Goose Island Big John -- ridiculous chocolate bomb of an imperial stout.

Pipeworks Santa v. Unicorn, a nice thick barleywine.

Half Acre Bourbon Barrel Aged Baume, a rye stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. Respectable, but my mindhole wasn't blown.

Looking forward to cracking open a 2012 Half Acre Big Hugs Coffee Stout some evening soon....

Getting ready to wrap some Christmas presents with Founder's Backwoods Bastard.

How I'm going to get my wifes knee high black boots that I got her into this little bottle is beyond me...(badumbump)....:rolleyes:

Getting ready to wrap some Christmas presents with Founder's Backwoods Bastard.

Missed out on that one this season it appears. How is it compared to the Founder's Dirty Bastard?

Missed out on that one this season it appears. How is it compared to the Founder's Dirty Bastard?

Honestly Bruce, I've not had enough of either to give an informed statement. I'll bring you one tomorrow, though, and you can try it out and see what you think.

Honestly Bruce, I've not had enough of either to give an informed statement. I'll bring you one tomorrow, though, and you can try it out and see what you think.

Sounds good! I look forward to it. Would you like a Dirty Bastard to compare?

Sounds good! I look forward to it. Would you like a Dirty Bastard to compare?

Yessir! Thanks. See you then!

Anyone cracking something special for Christmas morning? My wife and I started opening Christmas morning beers a couple of years ago and have continued this tradition. She'll be opening a 1 year old KBS and I'll be opening a J.W. Lees from 1999. (The thick sweet beers seem to be a better pairing with breakfast than anything else.) I'll probably open a few sour beers that evening as well - maybe my 2003 Drie Fonteinen vintage gueuze since it's only a 375 mL bottle.

Since it might be too late to post this on Saturday, will be bringing some Stone Enjoy by 12.21.12 and a Unibroue Fin du Monde to poker tomorrow night. In anticipation of the end of the world, my buds are collectively putting up a four-year vertical of FFF Dark Lord!

End of the world huh, I'd forgotten about that, wish I had some Unibroue Trois Pistoles on hand for the event.

Nothing too crazy for me just a Listermams white death and cincinnatus.

Mike

You could certainly do worse than that. The new head brewer at Listermann's is doing a great job. Have you tried the Chickow (hazelnut double brown ale)? It's delicious and there's a bourbon barrel full of it right now as well.

I just tried for the first time, FiftyFifty Brewing Co. Eclipse, aged in Old Fitzgerald barrels. Poured like motor oil, but tasted like nothing i've ever had before. Just really amazing stuff. Pretty pricey, but I would probably treat myself again. Thankfully it only comes out once a year. I have another bottle aged in Rittenhouse barrels, that I will get to this weekend. Anyone else heard/tried this before? I didn't see much of any reviews out there?

I just tried for the first time, FiftyFifty Brewing Co. Eclipse, aged in Old Fitzgerald barrels. Poured like motor oil, but tasted like nothing i've ever had before. Just really amazing stuff. Pretty pricey, but I would probably treat myself again. Thankfully it only comes out once a year. I have another bottle aged in Rittenhouse barrels, that I will get to this weekend. Anyone else heard/tried this before? I didn't see much of any reviews out there?

I've heard very good things about Eclipse, but the price point will keep me from buying any this year. Twenty bucks is my current line in the sand when it comes to a single bottle, even at 650 or 750 ml size. More for the rest of you!

After having the last four vintages of FFF Dark Lord last night, I remain flummoxed as to the hype around this beer. It's sweet and syrupy and occasionally soy saucy -- the 2009 would've done wonders on some chicken breast -- and one that I'm going to have to file under "just not for me, I guess."

And I love imperial stouts!

Had some Yuengling Porter this evening, National Bohemian on Friday, Genesee 12 Horse on Thursday, some Yuengling Black and Tan on Wednesday, and Yuengling Porter and Yuengling Premium at the Pottsville Brewery on Tuesday!

Strawn American Wheat Ale, Amber Ale and a very interesting and tasty Scottish Export/80 style ale. It is a small brewery in my hometown of Fairburn outside Atlanta just getting started. They are trying to break into the market so I wish them well! Currently everything is kegs for the bar/restaurant market but they hope to start bottling soon. Otherwise the best place to try it is at the brewery, which I did last night.

A bit of a change of pace after hitting the bourbon pretty hard the night before at the GBS Christmas spectacular at Mac McGee!

I'm enjoying a Red Rock Rêve, a Belgian tripel style beer, at the Red Rock brewpub.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.