What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout. Just tastes like a passable coffee stout. Very little barrel/bourbon influence. Meh, it's Altech.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout. Just tastes like a passable coffee stout. Very little barrel/bourbon influence. Meh, it's Altech.

Isn't the bourbon barrel stout made by BBC in Louisville?

Maybe, the best beer I've had all year. Founders Backwoods Bastard. As you would expect, I'm always excited to try brews that are aged in "bourbon barrels". Hey...beer....bourbon...gotta be good, right???? Unfortunately for me, they too oftenly disappoint, as they tend to be too syrupy and cloyingly sweet for my tastes. Not this one. The bourbon, and the sweetness it brings, glows through, but doesn't dominate. Nice roasted malt backbone. The bourbon barrel aging is subtle, and is in perfect balance. Really wonderful beer.

I ain't a beer geek by any stretch of the imagination, but according to my tastes, the states that comprise the Upper Mid-West of the USA are making some of the best beer around.

I ain't a beer geek by any stretch of the imagination, but according to my tastes, the states that comprise the Upper Mid-West of the USA are making some of the best beer around.

Agreed. Founder's and Bell's are making some exceptional beers right now.

Agreed. Founder's and Bell's are making some exceptional beers right now.

Let's not forget Ahiya. You can add Great Lakes to that list, too.

:toast:

I'm having Sierra Nevada's new "Narwhal" tonight. I think it is a very good 10% coffee stout for just $2/bottle. Not a bad beer at all.

Let's not forget Ahiya. You can add Great Lakes to that list, too.

:toast:

So true, Joe. I love the entire Great Lakes line, especially the Dortmunder Gold and the Commodore Perry IPA. As we head into winter and my beer preferences turn darker and heavier, Scotch ale, porter and stout take up most of the space in the beer fridge. I think I'll grab a sixer of GL's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter to drink tonight during the Broncos-Raiders game.

Not very encouraging! Received a 4 pack of that as a gift this past weekend and thought it might be interesting. Not that I won't drink it anyway...

Oh it's perfectly drinkable. Just not terribly interesting. You may enjoy it who knows?

Oh it's perfectly drinkable. Just not terribly interesting. You may enjoy it who knows?

We shall see! Also got a bottle of the Bruery Smoked Wood rye barrel aged and an Autumn Maple beer. They sound interesting if nothing else.

Taking a break from the whiskey tonight. This dry air is really doing a number on my body (drying my skin out) and my mouth (making it feel tender) with these darn heat pumps running constantly in my house. The whiskey stings a bit when the mouth is tender so it's beer this evening.

I normally drink lagers, ales, bocks, stouts and beer that's more full bodied. However, tonight it's some lighter fare that's dear to my heart. Some may call this pee water, but I don't care. So without further hesitation..."imported" all the way from the great state of WI...it's Heileman's Old Style.

The first time I had that beer a couple of years ago, I absolutely loved it. The last couple of times, I have not. Too sweet, and as you say, nothing else really going on. I have one left in the fridge that I'll get to tomorrow to see if things get better.

However, tonight it's some lighter fare that's dear to my heart. Some may call this pee water, but I don't care. So without further hesitation..."imported" all the way from the great state of WI...it's Heileman's Old Style.

Old Style is pee water, but that didn't stop me from drinking six of them yesterday while watching sports on t.v.:grin:

But last night was a perfect evening for stout. I started off with one of my favorites, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and followed with another classic, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I actually found a place that had them on clearance and was able to pick up a twelve pack of 22 oz bombers for $14!! Talk about a steal!

I'm enjoying the remainder of a bottle of Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel lager tonight. This is a very drinkable dunkel that I will definitely be buying more of. Ayinger makes some mighty fine beers!

Went to a pretty killer bottle tasting event today. Knocked quite a few off of my must try list:

GI Bourbon County Rare

The Bruery Black Tuesday

Westvleteren Blonde

GI King Henry

Jolly Pumpkin Grande Reserve Bier de Mars

Plus a Bourbon County '06-'12 vertical and a lot more that ill never remember

The Black Tuesday is a pretty rare find!

Today I had a Shipyard Pugsley's Signature Series Smashed Blueberry. A stout type beer (the bottle says it is a "Malt Beverage with Natural Flavor) but was a bit disappointing as any suggestion of blueberry required a bit of imagination.

Not likely to try again.

Goode Island Christmas Ale in my hotel. Should fortify me enough to brave the cold and head out for dinner in a few minutes.

Did you have a favorite from this bunch? I did a '09-'12 vertical with some friends Saturday night and thought the '10 drank the best.

Central Waters just released their 2012 bourbon-barrel aged stout, which spent a full year in the wood (t

wice as long as previous vintages). Had some Saturday night; can't wait to try against the '11.

I would say '07 & '10 stood out. I had an '05 about 6 months ago, it was stellar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.