What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Popped open the first Sierra Nevada Celebration of the season today while watching Ga Tech/Duke. Also bought a bomber of the Estate Ale to try as it intrigued me to try the wet hopping style.

Founders 15th Anniversary Bolt Cutter Barleywine and CBS. It has been a killer beer weekend in Grand Rapids.

BTW, really last minute here, but are you going to FoWaBAB? I'm on my way right now! Train to bus boo-ya! The things I do for beer...

Great to catch up with you last night! Any standouts from your sampling?

I was really glad to finally get to try F-W's Velvet Merkin stout, which they don't seem to ship to the Chicago market -- second "cakiest" stout I've ever had, just shy of Bourbon County Bramble Rye. Not sure I had a winner in the battle of the local barrel-aged milk stouts; thought Pipeworks BA Jones Dog and Revolution Very Mad Cow were pretty good. The BA Snarling Badger from Grand Teton was interesting -- first time I've had a barrel-treated Berliner Weisse. And that Wild Turkey aged Ten Fidy was pretty nice as well. Only disappointment for me was FFF's BA Behemoth -- I like it just fine in its standard format, but didn't find the barreling to make an improvement to it. Really wish Founder's had been part of the event, and that F-W would've premiered XVI (they must have it ready to go by now, no?).

In the past week:

Avery Rumpkin

Founders Backwoods Bastard

Pipeworks Abduction

Pipeworks Hyper Dog

Two Brothers Revelry

Two Brothers Heavy Handed

Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Nosferatu

Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus

Three Floyd's BrooDoo

And, I didn't get to attend FOBAB, so I celebrated at home with a little Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '12.

In the past week:

Avery Rumpkin

Founders Backwoods Bastard

Pipeworks Abduction

Pipeworks Hyper Dog

Two Brothers Revelry

Two Brothers Heavy Handed

Great Lakes Christmas Ale

Great Lakes Nosferatu

Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus

Three Floyd's BrooDoo

And, I didn't get to attend FOBAB, so I celebrated at home with a little Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '12.

What did you think of Backwoods Bastard? I had it for the first time this year, and found it to be pretty respectable. Some insist it's "thin" this year.

And how great is it that there's so much BCBS to be had this year in the Chicago area? I frequent a store in the western 'burbs that has six cases just sitting on the floor. And city Dominicks and Walgreens locations have even been stocking it.

Great to catch up with you last night! Any standouts from your sampling?

I was really glad to finally get to try F-W's Velvet Merkin stout, which they don't seem to ship to the Chicago market -- second "cakiest" stout I've ever had, just shy of Bourbon County Bramble Rye. Not sure I had a winner in the battle of the local barrel-aged milk stouts; thought Pipeworks BA Jones Dog and Revolution Very Mad Cow were pretty good. The BA Snarling Badger from Grand Teton was interesting -- first time I've had a barrel-treated Berliner Weisse. And that Wild Turkey aged Ten Fidy was pretty nice as well. Only disappointment for me was FFF's BA Behemoth -- I like it just fine in its standard format, but didn't find the barreling to make an improvement to it. Really wish Founder's had been part of the event, and that F-W would've premiered XVI (they must have it ready to go by now, no?).

I had a great time at the festival - really well done. Any gathering as big and populated as that was where you can still run into people you know is doing it right!

I moved today, so I don't have my program to use as a cheat sheet. One thing that sticks out to me was the Cigar City Humidor IPA. It was aged in (on? with?) Spanish sandalwood, and the wood complemented the IPA just perfectly with resin and grapefruit, really stretched an obviously fantastic IPA in many directions, all positive.

I really liked the aged Ten Fidy, as well as [oh shit I can't remember, get back to you when I find my program]. Also, the flight of BCS aged in different barrels was fascinating. It was a Koval apple brandy barrel, a Cabernet barrel, a BT and a HH. The Koval barrel was quite respectable bringing more fruit to the table (as you might expect). The Cabernet was a bit sour and really did not work for me. The bourbon barrels were the best with BT a little sweeter and HH a bit more woody, if I recall correctly.

I could comment on a few more, but I need my cheat sheet. Really great to bump into you!

While clearing space in the beer fridge for Thanksgiving goodies, I uncovered a Baltika #9 Extra Lager from...Lord knows when... I thought I drank this in '09 :rolleyes: Thick, a little sweet, and enjoyable. The time in the fridge has made it no worse for wear...

Picked up a six of Samuel Adams White Christmas. Not sure about it, yet. It's kind of on the light side. Definitely spicy.

Inspired by FOBAB, hit the beer cellar up last night. Enjoyed a 2011 Bourbon Barrel Stout from Central Waters, a 2012 Bourbon Barrel Barleywine from Central Waters and a 2012 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

What Bears loss? :lol:

A really fantastic Bell's Best Brown Ale, while watching "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" with the family. The part where Snoopy "fights" the fold-up chair is priceless. :toast:

Tonight it was Oskar Blues TenFidy imperial stout followed by He'brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Both are excellent examples of their respective styles.

Tonight it was Oskar Blues TenFidy imperial stout followed by He'brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Both are excellent examples of their respective styles.

I love that Ten Fidy!

I'm not into the high alcohol brews so I've passed on the Fen Fidy as I can't commit to a 6er of something that I will probably dislike.

I wish I had a "mix a six" store around me to make sampling easier.

I'm not into the high alcohol brews so I've passed on the Fen Fidy as I can't commit to a 6er of something that I will probably dislike.

I wish I had a "mix a six" store around me to make sampling easier.

Ten Fidy's come in 4 packs...$14 isn't a ton to be out if you don't like it!

I shall go as far as lifting and counting the cans next time I see them at the grocery store just to check your math. :). That will be one step closer to an actual purchase.

I'm hoping that my beer crazy brother in law brings some to dinner tomorrow since it is only recently available here in the Buckeye State.

Went the Buckyee state route myself when the local beer monger sold me on a 6 pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Looking forward to trying a bottle tonight.

I make it a rule not to drink any Christmas beers 'til the Thanksgiving dinner is over. Think I'll start with the last two years' Anchor Special Ale tonight....

Fantastic array of beers from Wisconsin micros on Thanksgiving Day (New Glarus, Lakefront, Sprecher's, Tyranena, O'so and more). After all the heavy-hitting hoppy beers I consumed, I decided to go to the other extreme and picked up some Brekle's Brown Ale from Anchor Steam and a sixer of Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale. Both were excellent but I greatly preferred the Ellie's Brown which was richer and had much more body. Yet another great beer from Avery!

Over this long Thanksgiving weekend, beer has been central in all facets of the Holiday; from set-up to clean-up. And, we've enjoyed them all. Even the simple Miller High Life and Budweiser. Sometimes, simple is good. But, have also dug on Sam Adams Winter Lager, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, SweetWater Low RYEder Rye IPA, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale, and 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale. Interesting bird that Fireside Chat. You really have to have to be in "the right frame of palate" or pair with the right food accompaniment, for it to shine. If those are on, it's fabulous. When not, it's just too much on the spices. Finally I must confess, the Best-in-Show for the weekend was the 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale. Good show for the local boys. A lot going on in this beer, but it tightly keeps it's balance throughout.

I'm reminded this Thanksgiving of the saying: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Bourbon is also proof...:D

Quite a few this Thanksgiving weekend. Bell's Two Hearted(always a favorite), got to try Bell's Midwestern Pale Ale(not that great), a Saugatuck IPA, DFH 120 and a Sam Adams.

Best regards, Tony

Over this long Thanksgiving weekend, beer has been central in all facets of the Holiday; from set-up to clean-up. And, we've enjoyed them all. Even the simple Miller High Life and Budweiser. Sometimes, simple is good. But, have also dug on Sam Adams Winter Lager, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, SweetWater Low RYEder Rye IPA, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale, and 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale. Interesting bird that Fireside Chat. You really have to have to be in "the right frame of palate" or pair with the right food accompaniment, for it to shine. If those are on, it's fabulous. When not, it's just too much on the spices. Finally I must confess, the Best-in-Show for the weekend was the 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale. Good show for the local boys. A lot going on in this beer, but it tightly keeps it's balance throughout.

I'm reminded this Thanksgiving of the saying: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Bourbon is also proof...:D

Quite a few this Thanksgiving weekend. Bell's Two Hearted(always a favorite), got to try Bell's Midwestern Pale Ale(not that great), a Saugatuck IPA, DFH 120 and a Sam Adams.

Best regards, Tony

Well I guess I just drink more whiskey than you all, as my beer tally is one, but it was a good one, the aforementioned Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Very subtle with light spicing and doesn't show its 7.5% abv. I like it a lot and since the weekend is not over I may make it two before it is :grin:.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.