What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm drinking a Red Rock Secale, a rye dopplebock aged in rye barrels from High West (so probably LDI) - very enjoyable. I've bunkered a handful since it's a seasonal and ages well.

Having enjoyed several fine beers from the Tyranena Brewing Company (Wisconsin), I decided to pick up a six-pack of their seasonal Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale yesterday. Maybe it was the fact that I sampled it after drinking two bottles of Founders Dirty Bastard, but the Sheep Shagger just didn't do it for me. And I mean not at all. It had a subtle taste of day old hazelnut coffee and vaguely reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale, a beer I absolutely detested from the very first sip. I'll have to give the SS another go tonight to see if my opinion changes any but for now, this one was a real disappointment.

Having enjoyed several fine beers from the Tyranena Brewing Company (Wisconsin), I decided to pick up a six-pack of their seasonal Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale yesterday. Maybe it was the fact that I sampled it after drinking two bottles of Founders Dirty Bastard, but the Sheep Shagger just didn't do it for me. And I mean not at all. It had a subtle taste of day old hazelnut coffee and vaguely reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale, a beer I absolutely detested from the very first sip. I'll have to give the SS another go tonight to see if my opinion changes any but for now, this one was a real disappointment.

They're definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed a Hop Whore IIPA from Tyranena last night. The new year should bring us their Down and Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, which is a winner in my book.

And speaking of hit or miss, I'm two-thirds of the way through Two Brothers' 15 beers for 15 years series. Enjoyed the Pahoehoe coconut ale well enough last night.

They're definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed a Hop Whore IIPA from Tyranena last night. The new year should bring us their Down and Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, which is a winner in my book.

And speaking of hit or miss, I'm two-thirds of the way through Two Brothers' 15 beers for 15 years series. Enjoyed the Pahoehoe coconut ale well enough last night.

I'll keep an eye out for the Down & Dirty Oatmeal Stout. BTW, Main Street is still well-stocked with Bourbon County. Too bad the damned stuff costs $25 a four pack!

BTW, Main Street is still well-stocked with Bourbon County. Too bad the damned stuff costs $25 a four pack!

Bought a case last week!

Tried a Founder's Dirty Bastard after learning that I missed out on the Backwoods Bastard this year. Pretty good stuff!

I also picked up a couple of Traquair 2020 ales yesterday (more a true English barleywine than Scotch Ale that supposedly can sit on the shelf until 2020) and hopefully encouraged the store to get some of the Traquair House Ale and Jacobite Ale so I can see what a true Scotch Ale should taste like.

True English Barleywine isn't that easy to find either so will try to one of the 2020's and then leave the other to sit a spell.

Drank a 90 minute with dinner, but the real news was picking up 2 Westvleteren gift packs, 2 4 pks of Bourbon Co stout, and a Brooklyn Black Ops, pretty Damn good day!

Drank a 90 minute with dinner, but the real news was picking up 2 Westvleteren gift packs, 2 4 pks of Bourbon Co stout, and a Brooklyn Black Ops, pretty Damn good day!

I learned from a friend in the business that Total Wine here locally was making them available (albeit quietly) a week and a half or so ago. As a result I was able to pick up 3 six packs and managed to avoid any potential hassle of fighting traffic and waiting in line yesterday morning, especially since I already had a dental appointment that morning and didn't want to cancel.

I must say the included glasses are small and kind of chintzy. I much prefer my standard full size Westvleteren glass.

I am particularly interested in putting one up against the last remaining 12 I have that was bought in Brussels on a trip this past September.

By the way, how is Westvleteren properly pronounced? Accent on the vlet? On the ter? Other?

I got one locally via lottery and knew well in advance. I got lucky and got the second at TPS. They sold out in 3 minutes even with server issues. Many experienced locked up webpages while trying to purchase. I've heard/read a lot of grumbling about the beer not being as good as "regular" westvleteren 12. I pretty much call bullshit on this. I had some last summer, it was fantastic, BUT, the generous friend who shared it said he had experienced a lot of variance bottle to bottle in his case. They make 3 beers, does anyone think they,would have gone to the trouble of changing recipe or mashbill for the export batch? Remember, they are under 5K barrels per year output. I think similarly aged bottles of regular vs export will have little/no difference.

By the way, how is Westvleteren properly pronounced? Accent on the vlet? On the ter? Other?

What I heard locally in Brussels was "vest FLAY teren" with a long A sound. I had always pronounced it as "vest VLEH teren" but that wasn't how the locals said it.

I got one locally via lottery and knew well in advance. I got lucky and got the second at TPS. They sold out in 3 minutes even with server issues. Many experienced locked up webpages while trying to purchase. I've heard/read a lot of grumbling about the beer not being as good as "regular" westvleteren 12. I pretty much call bullshit on this. I had some last summer, it was fantastic, BUT, the generous friend who shared it said he had experienced a lot of variance bottle to bottle in his case. They make 3 beers, does anyone think they,would have gone to the trouble of changing recipe or mashbill for the export batch? Remember, they are under 5K barrels per year output. I think similarly aged bottles of regular vs export will have little/no difference.

I can't imagine they change the recipe but it is definitely small batch brewing and tends to vary some from batch to batch. That has been reported for a long time. They don't make a lot as you note and certainly don't try to blend for a particular taste profile. My understanding is there are only about 25 monks in the entire monastery and only about 5 of them do the brewing.

The recent increased output and availability I am told is to to try to repair the place as it is apparently in some need of fixing up. I didn't get to go there on my trip to Belgium so I don't know what it looks like in person. But maybe making more may put a strain on getting the ingredients they usually prefer?

In general, trying to ratchet things up for increased output could certainly have an impact on overall taste and not usually for the better.

What I heard locally in Brussels was "vest FLAY teren" with a long A sound. I had always pronounced it as "vest VLEH teren" but that wasn't how the locals said it.

Ah. I see. I, uh, forgot about that Euro W pronounced like a V thing, too...:crazy: Thanks, Bruce.

Mostly a Dutch thing in this case which of course is similar to German and that whole W/V thing!

Going to The Trappist for Kerstbier Fest 2012. Here's a menu of about half the beers on tap tonight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14558[/ATTACH]

The Nogne O Winter Ale has my mouth watering.

Westvleteren 12 last night. Lived up to the hype. I will do a tasting and compare it to the St.Bernardus ABT 12 and the Rochefort 10. I have some Xmas beers from various places that are calling my name as well. It's going to be a beer filled couple of weeks.

I shared the first bottle from my pack on Friday as well and also thought it lived up to the hype. I liked it more than the Rochefort 10, which I also like very much. More of a dry flavor and a little more alcoholic bite on the end to the Westvleteren.

I would really love to try the blonde and the brune one day.

Last night was a growler of New Albanian's Dunwich Porter that I picked up on my weekend trip to Louisville. Tasty glass o' brew.

Working through some pumpkin ales I still have lying about. A couple of Dogfish Head Punkin Ales to start and then finished the evening with a change of pace with a Dragon's Milk stout.

May go hunting for some Wheat Wine Ale today as it sounds like an interesting winter option.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.