Four Roses LE Single Barrel 2013

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The label approval has been posted for the 2013 single barrel limited edition and it looks like we will be treated to some 13 year old OBSK goodness this time around.

This is the same mashbill/yeast combination as the 120th Anniversary single barrel release but with an extra year resting in the barrel.

If Jim's slugging percentage with SBers is any indication, this will be another home run.

The label approval has been posted for the 2013 single barrel limited edition and it looks like we will be treated to some 13 year old OBSK goodness this time around.

This is the same mashbill/yeast combination as the 120th Anniversary single barrel release but with an extra year resting in the barrel.

If Jim's slugging percentage with SBers is any indication, this will be another home run.

YES YES YES! I both love and hate you for posting this. Now I have to wait an entire year, or at least 6-8 months.

OBSK at 13yrs. this sounds fantastic,I really am looking forward to this release.OBSK has always been my favorite of the ten,so for me its already on the radar for next year!

• 1 month later...

so, have been looking back at threads and it seems that there is a range on release dates somewhere between March and May for the release of the LESB. having suffered through months of getting skunked looking for the smbLE12, i figured it would be more productive to put my thoughts into hoping for some of the LESB13 since i liked the 2012 version so much (i realize there is a difference between a B and an E). does anyone have a better idea than me on a more precise release date?

• 1 month later...

this was posted in the help a member find a bottle forum by aea6574 aka "Tony." but basically FR is releasing a LE single barrel in honor of the 40th anniversary of secretariat. from the press release, it appears they will be making 3,500 in addition to the 500 ceramic decanters from the first secretariat release (i dont know if its the same juice). do people think this is the spring release of the LESB? anyone heard anything? the press release states that the barrel will be selected by secretariats owner, thus implying that the recipe is not yet selected.

If this is in lieu of the LESB13, i am bummed. But, if its just a one off bottle celebrating horses, that will be in addition to the LESB13, then man is that awesome. I dont want to read into it too much, but i would think that could mean there is a growing amount of mature stock at FR ready for bottling if they are prepared to drop almost an entire extra LE release in the same season. and now i have to go change my pants...

http://www.fourrosesbourbon.com/2013/03/18/commemorative-40th-anniversary-secretariat-bottle-to-be-released/

this was posted in the help a member find a bottle forum byaea6574 aka "Tony." but basically FR is releasing a LE single barrel in honor of the 40th anniversary of secretariat. from the press release, it appears they will be making 3,500 in addition to the 500 ceramic decanters from the first secretariat release (i dont know if its the same juice). do people think this is the spring release of the LESB? anyone heard anything? the press release states that the barrel will be selected by secretariats owner, thus implying that the recipe is not yet selected.

If this is in lieu of the LESB13, i am bummed. But, if its just a one off bottle celebrating horses, that will be in addition to the LESB13, then man is that awesome. I dont want to read into it too much, but i would think that could mean there is a growing amount of mature stock at FR ready for bottling if they are prepared to drop almost an entire extra LE release in the same season. and now i have to go change my pants...

http://www.fourrosesbourbon.com/2013/03/18/commemorative-40th-anniversary-secretariat-bottle-to-be-released/

I have no doubt that this is a one-off bottling and that there will be a separate FR 2013 LE SB.

The folks at the TWS gathering can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what Jim Rutledge said two weeks ago, I gathered that the Secretariat release was one thing, and the LE would be another.

The folks at the TWS gathering can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what Jim Rutledge said two weeks ago, I gathered that the Secretariat release was one thing, and the LE would be another.

Correct, I believe he confirmed the same thing at Go Whisk(e)y Weekend.

There's certainly no shortage of ways to sell whatever's there, regardless of grade.

He says while trying to find information about the Secretariat availability.

I was at FR's yesterday and the Secretariat bottling will be a OBSV @100pr.

I wish I could get one but since eBay is history I'll have an empty hole.:cry:

In that case think ill be skipping this one in favor of more of the regular LE.

There's certainly no shortage of ways to sell whatever's there, regardless of grade.

He says while trying to find information about the Secretariat availability.

If you find a way let me know, want to get a couple bottles of this, wish they would release it for the Sampler weekend.

Best regards, Tony

He said ..more than once .. the he had just tasted the 2013 LE SB prior to our visit .. and said that what he tasted was far better than the 2012. He said that if they blend it properly .. the way he tasted it .. it will be one of the best ever. He was excited about it. I believe we'll see it in May.

If they blend it properly? Are we talking about single barrel or small batch LE, because the single barrel should be the one coming out in May, right?

If they blend it properly? Are we talking about single barrel or small batch LE, because the single barrel should be the one coming out in May, right?

I don't have the answer to your second question, but Jon's reference to "blending it properly" relates to something Jim told us. I don't want to go into specifics, out of respect for Jim and for the brand, but there once was a release that did not get blended the way Jim had called for it to be blended, and he was unaware of the change until after it had occurred. He feels that the blend he created was even better than the one that actually got released, even though the release in question went on to garner wide praise (and deservedly so).

I suspect that will never happen again during Jim's tenure.

Interesting. At the sampler last year Jim told me something similarly funky happened with the 2011 Ltd Ed. Single Barrel. Only one barrel was approved by Jim before he had to leave the country for some reason. Some European distributor called the distillery wanting lots of it, and people at Kirin panicked and choose two more barrels for the release in Jim's absence. Jim was not pleased and told me THAT would never happen again.

Anyway, back on topic...I really liked the 2012 edition, I thought it was the best since 2009. If Jim says the 2013 is even better, I'm super duper excited.

Edited by Josh

I don't have the answer to your second question, but Jon's reference to "blending it properly" relates to something Jim told us. I don't want to go into specifics, out of respect for Jim and for the brand, but there once was a release that did not get blended the way Jim had called for it to be blended, and he was unaware of the change until after it had occurred. He feels that the blend he created was even better than the one that actually got released, even though the release in question went on to garner wide praise (and deservedly so).

I suspect that will never happen again during Jim's tenure.

I'm confused at why the single barrel would be "blended" at all.:skep: Surely he must have been referring to the Small Batch.

Yeah gotta be the Small Batch obv.

That being said WHOA if true. Crazy how they can keep up with what they've done before and to surpass it?! Come on SmB LE season!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.