Four Roses LE Single Barrel 2013

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Eric, your assessment distills it down pretty well, but I'm going side by side right now.

2012 - 12 year OESK - 55.3% - Barrel 81-3J

Open nose with toffee, candied fruit and oak. Rich, coating mouthfeel. The oak takes over on the palate, and burns low and long through the finish. Palate smooths out a little with water.

2013 - 13 year OBSK - 61.3% - Barrel 3-3A

A little shut off, not much going on, but a little wood and light floral. Thinner and dryer mouthfeel. Sweeter palate, much lighter with grass and nutmeg. Hot finish that burns after the flavor is gone. Not much improvement with water added.

For me, this 2012 is a much better whiskey. The standard single barrel disclaimer applies here, of course. I bought of 3 of the 2012 last year, and would buy more from this barrel. Much richer and more flavor packed compared to my bottle 2012 Small Batch side by side, which is why I couldn't understand all the hoopla about the 2012 SmBLE when the 1BLE was going ignored. So maybe this was just a really good barrel. B+

As for the 2013, I went in for 2 bottles from this barrel, but for me to buy/try another I'd look for a lower proof bottle. This one just burns too hot all the way through, and is pretty flat for my tastes. B-

I enjoyed both. They are two very different bourbons.

I have been a bigger fan of the single barrel limiteds vs the small batch.

We are heading to four roses for a barrel selection next week. Cant wait to try the 3 or so recipes that have eluded me.

• 5 weeks later...

Still no sign of this around Houston. Has anybody in Texas found it yet?

Mine was a mouthfull of spice and orange scented honey. Loved it! and one of the longest finishes of any bourbon i've had lately. Added water did not diminish its power

I've been calling "the store" religiously at least once a week since I heard it hit shelves in La. Always the same answer "We haven't got any and don't know when we will." Well today this guy said he sold out a couple of weeks ago. :hot:

I hear so much BS from these people I don't know what to believe. What time did it hit Houston last year? I don't remember seeing any SB LEs last year. Just the SmB LEs.

The 1B LEs can't BEGIN to touch the SmB LEs. Just my opinion of course but yeah, it's a fact.

The 1B LEs can't BEGIN to touch the SmB LEs. Just my opinion of course but yeah, it's a fact.

Is that a fact now? Luckily, I still have a couple of those to tide me over :)

I don't like to look at them in the same light. I view the 1B offerings as colors, and SmB as paintings. Having this year's offering be an OBSK with a little extra age on it, was quite a nice treat. Hands down my favorite recipe.

I don't like to look at them in the same light. I view the 1B offerings as colors, and SmB as paintings.
This really is a great analogy and I have to agree,I think the one recipe of the SB may not always suit your tastes but the,SmB always seems to come together beautifully and reaches a much broader audience.You've got me sold on that line anyway,you might just have a promising future in the field.:lol:I have to agree with you also that the OBSK is always a favorite and the 13 years on this years LE really brings the recipe alive,yes I'm a fan.

My car buddies and I did a side by side of the 2012 FRSmBLe and the 2013 FRSBLE. I have to say I like them both. Just because I married a brunette doesn't mean I don't enjoy looking at a blonde. My ribs can attest to that.

The SmB is amazing because you can get so many distinct flavors. Its like you can peel away the layers in your mouth and on your tongue. Thru magic they have kept them seperate in the bottle.

The SB must be a red head. She is much more feisty and strong willed. Not the many flavors but the ones she presents are very bold and leggy. I choose to love them both.

i love all things 4R. Call me crazy but I have preferred the 3 single barrel limiteds(2011 thru 2013) over the 1 small batch limited (2012) that i have tried. After loving the 2012 sgl brl, i immediately opened a bottle of 2012 small batch at the store. Good but not world class was my initial thought. The bottles sat on the shelf. I let our bourbon VIPs try my open bottle and most agreed and passed on it. Then the press comes out and both cases disappear in one weekend.

I revisited the small batch 2012 after a month of air time and was more impressed but not overwhelmed. I guess it goes to show that palates are varied and imperfect at best.

I liked the small batch 2012 for two reasons more than the single barrel, $15 cheaper at my local shop and much much more accessible at that point in time. They even had 2011 small batch in excess when 2012 launched. Sometime between then and now all sorts of folks decided buying special releases was a great way to earn a living...and the distilleries decided to ship a tiny tiny amount to each and every store in the land.

Back on point, appreciate the FRLE SB13 but for my money would rather have one of their gift shop bottlings. Doesn't seem worth the premium, though stil highly drinkable.

I liked the small batch 2012 for two reasons more than the single barrel, $15 cheaper at my local shop and much much more accessible at that point in time. They even had 2011 small batch in excess when 2012 launched. Sometime between then and now all sorts of folks decided buying special releases was a great way to earn a living...and the distilleries decided to ship a tiny tiny amount to each and every store in the land.

Back on point, appreciate the FRLE SB13 but for my money would rather have one of their gift shop bottlings. Doesn't seem worth the premium, though stil highly drinkable.

There were plenty of the 2011 SmB's around here when the 2012 hit the shelves and I got both. And they are both great.

As soon as the Whiskey Advocate article came out they were all gone and I haven't seen any LE on the shelves since. I'd take these over ParkerVW's any day.

There were plenty of the 2011 SmB's around here when the 2012 hit the shelves and I got both. And they are both great.

As soon as the Whiskey Advocate article came out they were all gone and I haven't seen any LE on the shelves since. I'd take these over ParkerVW's any day.

I felt bad about then, wandered into Liquor Barn looking for a second bottle (had already cracked my 1st, loved it and wanted a backup). Turned out that was the day the article came out, walk into the shop make a left and BAM! Mr. Rutledge signing bottles. Felt like he probably assumed i only bought due to article, then he gave me two FR glasses....and i remembered his job is to sell Whiskey and he probably doesn't care who buys!

I felt bad about then, wandered into Liquor Barn looking for a second bottle (had already cracked my 1st, loved it and wanted a backup). Turned out that was the day the article came out, walk into the shop make a left and BAM! Mr. Rutledge signing bottles. Felt like he probably assumed i only bought due to article, then he gave me two FR glasses....and i remembered his job is to sell Whiskey and he probably doesn't care who buys!

He's probably too busy, but it would have been nice to pour him a drink and chat about his thought of it. I would love to ask about SBLE vs SmBLE vs gift shop.

Had a chance to taste the 2013 single barrel LE last weekend and was impressed. That recipe isn't one of my favorite 4Roses but this particular iteration is a little less floral than usual. Not sure about it's value relative cost but it's delicious.

Does anyone in Michigan know what's going on with this one? From what I can tell it hasn't arrived in the state at all. Could it be because the LCC price list is showing the 2012 LESB code (09097 - FOUR ROSES LTD ED SNGL BL-2012)? I've asked all over the place and nobody has got it in, and no one can give me any answers. I know there have been issues with this product in the past.

I'm hankering for that 13 Year OBSK.

I have not been enjoying my bottle much so far. I'm not into the taste and that puts the QPR ratio on the bad side of good.

Did a side by side with 4RSBLe13 vs SmBLe12 which I really like a lot. Also, I thought I would highly prefer the small batch over the single barrel.

Last night when I had two pours of SBLE13 I thought I may prefer the SmBLe12 more but as I always make judgement of comparison only base on a side by side, at this moment only, I may have a very slight edge to the SBLE13 which is a little surprising to me.

They are both very good pours. I will have to bunker a couple of the SBLE13 if I happen to see some which is almost impossible around here.

The blonde and brunette analogy works but with both very nice.

This is still quite early to say though.

Cheers

Hugh

I have not been enjoying my bottle much so far. I'm not into the taste and that puts the QPR ratio on the bad side of good.

It's my least favorite of them all.

Yeah, I can't think of one that I liked less now that you mention it.

Eh, i find it to be on par with last years, so opinions do vary. FWIW I find the 11 to be the worst by a wide margin.

Eh, i find it to be on par with last years, so opinions do vary. FWIW I find the 11 to be the worst by a wide margin.

Haven't gotten around to trying the 2013 1BLE (perhaps something for the next GBS affair!) but the 2011 1BLE is certainly my leader in the clubhouse for the least enjoyable so far of the limited editions I have been able to try, both 1B and SmB.

Haven't gotten around to trying the 2013 1BLE (perhaps something for the next GBS affair!) but the 2011 1BLE is certainly my leader in the clubhouse for the least enjoyable so far of the limited editions I have been able to try, both 1B and SmB.

2011 was wayyy too floral for me. Not a fan. Love the 2013 though

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.