Four Roses LE Single Barrel 2013

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't have the answer to your second question, but Jon's reference to "blending it properly" relates to something Jim told us. I don't want to go into specifics, out of respect for Jim and for the brand, but there once was a release that did not get blended the way Jim had called for it to be blended, and he was unaware of the change until after it had occurred. He feels that the blend he created was even better than the one that actually got released, even though the release in question went on to garner wide praise (and deservedly so).

I suspect that will never happen again during Jim's tenure.

You're referring to the 2009 Mariage and that was a blend...there is no secret that Jim wanted less of the 19yr product blended in then what was done..this thread is referring to the LE Single Barrel so there is no blending needed.

back on topic though, i'm really looking forward to this SB, as OBSK is my favorite recipe of the 4R line.

I'm excited no doubt. It will be cool to note the differences between this 13 yr old OBSK and my current bottle of 9 yr old OBSK from Binnys. Here's hoping I can find some of this when it comes out...

I have been drinking some 14 year OBSK from the gift shop for a couple months now and I can tell you it is VERY good stuff. Lots of leather and dried dark fruits. I'm looking forward to this release as I assume it will be very near what I picked up at the gift shop. Not a whole lot of difference between 13 and 14 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're getting close. Seen a review or two already that make this one sound like a real winner. Not that this is surprising at all. Still, been not so patiently waiting on it since we found out the details way back when. Can't and won't have to wait too much longer.

Well, we're getting close. Seen a review or two already that make this one sound like a real winner. Not that this is surprising at all. Still, been not so patiently waiting on it since we found out the details way back when. Can't and won't have to wait too much longer.

In years past, the limited single barrel was available for quite some time in decent quantities. It is "on allotment" here in kentucky for the first time. Im expecting a case next week compared to 6 or 7 cases that I received last year.

Same with secretariat bottle, dont expect to see them around for very long.

I guess this is a function of 4R expanding its distribution footprint on the heels of the press the 2012 limited small batch received.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I'm still snagging several+, by hook or by crook.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I'm still snagging several+, by hook or by crook.

Does anyone know if 4R sells the limited editions at the gift shop? I know they have private special barrel selections at the Gift Shop.

Does anyone know if 4R sells the limited editions at the gift shop? I know they have private special barrel selections at the Gift Shop.

The SmB LE was available there at the Festival last year, so is imagine the 1B is during the sampler.

Anyone know when these will be hitting shelves in the Chicago area?

It's just starting to hit stores in KY. Usually Chicago is about a month later.

Ended up grabbing the FR1B 2013 from my favorite store today. Bottles 62 through 64 out of 6559 from Barrel 3-3A. 61.5% ABV. Cracked it open while checking out and all parties involved were pretty pleased. No big surprise that it's good. I'll have a better review up tonight.

I wound up with 2217/6559, 60.4%, Warehouse BS, Barrel# 3-3R. Looking forward to trying it when I get back to ATL.

Ended up grabbing the FR1B 2013 from my favorite store today. Bottles 62 through 64 out of 6559 from Barrel 3-3A. 61.5% ABV. Cracked it open while checking out and all parties involved were pretty pleased. No big surprise that it's good. I'll have a better review up tonight.

Sipping some of this now. At 123 proof this is too hot for me at the moment, and I drink GTS and WLW on the regular. Really intense "explosion" on palate entry at full proof, but I decided to add a splash of water, which opened up the nose into classic FR territory. It's good, but not spectacular. I think this is a solid "B" whiskey, but I'm not as impressed with it now as I was a couple nights ago. Might want to own.

I had a pour last night. Mine was great, with just about everything I love about FR going for it. Mine's 120.8° and not hot, but definitely a mouthful. I'll try a splash of water with it tonight. I've had younger OBSKs that took quite a bit of air to open up, so I imagine this one will too. It carries the signature spice of the K yeast and there's plenty of cinnamon and dark fruit milling about as well. Already much more pleasing to me than the two 2012 LE1B I drank through last year.

I had my doubts this would edge out the 14yr GS bottle from December but I have since resolved all of these concerns fully.I found the LE to be more complex than the GS offering though not as brawny and broad shouldered,I love both but the LE definitely takes the win for me.The cinnamon,fruit and cedar notes all play into the mix just perfectly,bold yet delicately nuanced at the same time.Rutledge once again hits it out of the park for me!

Got to taste it at Whiskey Fest. I'd say it was really great, but not excellent - lots of berry fruits and sweetness (cotton candy?). Don't get me wrong, I'll still be getting a bottle (if I find it, of course).

The caveat here is that my tongue was pretty fried by the time I made it to the Four Roses table.

Scotch drinkers talk a lot about "sherry bombs" and "peat bombs" and whatnot. This is a "spice bomb". I really enjoyed it, but everything tastes a little better at the Gazebo. I'll have a more contemplative pour this week. The 60.4% might take the edge off the carpet removal I'll be doing at the house. :smiley_acbt:

I really enjoyed this as well and am glad I was able to hunt down a few bottles. I get to enjoy this over the summer and gear up for hunting for the 4RSmB2013 in the fall.

Best regards, Tony

Enjoying a pour of this tonight. Very good. Floral, sweet and caramel. Long finish. This one is a keeper.

Would be happy to hear a comparison to the 2012 LE side by side.

Thanks

Hugh

Would be happy to hear a comparison to the 2012 LE side by side.

Thanks

Hugh

If i had any left I would tell you. If i remember correctly, the 2012 was a big bold oaky, woody masterpiece. This one is light, delicate and flavor for days. The nose is unbelievable.

Eric, your assessment distills it down pretty well, but I'm going side by side right now.

2012 - 12 year OESK - 55.3% - Barrel 81-3J

Open nose with toffee, candied fruit and oak. Rich, coating mouthfeel. The oak takes over on the palate, and burns low and long through the finish. Palate smooths out a little with water.

2013 - 13 year OBSK - 61.3% - Barrel 3-3A

A little shut off, not much going on, but a little wood and light floral. Thinner and dryer mouthfeel. Sweeter palate, much lighter with grass and nutmeg. Hot finish that burns after the flavor is gone. Not much improvement with water added.

For me, this 2012 is a much better whiskey. The standard single barrel disclaimer applies here, of course. I bought of 3 of the 2012 last year, and would buy more from this barrel. Much richer and more flavor packed compared to my bottle 2012 Small Batch side by side, which is why I couldn't understand all the hoopla about the 2012 SmBLE when the 1BLE was going ignored. So maybe this was just a really good barrel. B+

As for the 2013, I went in for 2 bottles from this barrel, but for me to buy/try another I'd look for a lower proof bottle. This one just burns too hot all the way through, and is pretty flat for my tastes. B-

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.