Four Roses LE Single Barrel 2013

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks Squire, that means a lot coming from you. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you one day and rest assured an OGD 114 will be waiting for ya!! In the mean time I will simple enjoy your posts.

I tried mine neat several nights ago and was unimpressed. Trying 2 nights ago with a bit of water (not too much) I found that it opened up quite a bit and was much, much tastier. So, it seems I agree with the other recent posters in this thread.

I saw three bottles marked barrel 3-3B. The weird thing was they were 59.8%, 61.8%, and 69.8%. I may be a few drinks in, but that doesnt really make sense to me. Can anyone explain this?

My bottles are all 61.3, Warehouse BS, Barrel 3-3A.

Edit: By my math, somewhere between 26-30 barrels were used in this LE offering, so some screw-ups with hand-numbering must have happened. I like this listing of proof/barrel numbers, let's get some more!

Edited by Wryguy

Cracked mine today on a day off, a perfect time to examine this LE which is the first 4RLE for me. I love the standard issue 4R, all of them, YL, SmB and SB. I was very curious about these LEs having only had the 2012 Smb in a local bar.

My 2013SB is 60.1/BS/3-30. The 60 ish proofs seem to be getting solid reviews so at 60.1 mine is right in there. The proof is higher than what over the years I am finding is my personal sweetspot which is 90-100. I drink neat but as a newbie to vatting, cutting proof... I have been reluctant to purchase much over 100 as my past attempts to "tune" with water have only succeeded in ruining what it was I added water to, so I buy at or below 100 and enjoy happily. This experimentaion occured with bourbons no higher than 100 so I was fixing something that wasn't broke but I was curious as to the effect so it was educational if not very staisfying.

Rules are made to be broken so I'll admit to loving WTRB and not touching it at 108, I find it perfect there.

Onto the 2013SB. The neat pour I found to be very flavorful with toffee, spice, leather, dried fruit, all the adjectives already assigned to it but there was a stronger alcohol note than I would like for a standard pour. I plan to become skilled with cutting in order to enjoy some more of these hi test releases and the LE is my training ground to develop these skills. I cut a second taste to 110 and found that it took the flavor profile a bit sideways, more sweetness but not in balance, in fact the balance was a bit off, the ratio of sweet to spice became disjointed and neither was accentuated with the addition of water and worst of all the boozy note at the end was unaffected.

I next tried the cut to 100. I was concerned that this amount of water would take what I liked in the neat pour and ruin it per my past experiences and that sideways trip I just described, well it didn't. Unlike my impressions at 110 this pour now had a toffee/brown sugar entry, nicely balanced spice (pepper& cinnamon) and a new characteristic emerged I can only describe as creamy that was previously not present, now with a beautiful long finish. The boozy character transformed into a more char like characteristic which brought the barrel into play. THIS is what I was looking for in a 13yr OBSK.

I like this LE a lot, though I will drink it at 100 proof from here on out. It was a lot of fun to try it at various strengths and experience different personalities emerge. I am very glad that the water didn't F it up but instead actually enhanced the drink, I get it now and it its looking like 100 is the happy place for my palate. Of course this is strictly my taste with this barrel and tuned to my preference but I am glad to develop some confidence in what "my" taste is and I can use this knowledge with these north of 100 releases to maximize my enjoyment, after all ain't that what this is all about? Sub 100 proof I ain't touchin it.

Now looking forward to 2013 Smb.

• 2 months later...

Maybe just my imagination (or inebriation...at times) but it seems like I'm noticing more & more folk adding water to their 4R iterations - and meeting with success in their opinion. My palate has always noticed the opposite - water seems to hinder & hurt the 4R. I've met with success by following a quote I read here some time ago that water enhances some bourbons but 4R is not one of them. Maybe I should give it another try with one of the more recent releases.

Maybe just my imagination (or inebriation...at times) but it seems like I'm noticing more & more folk adding water to their 4R iterations - and meeting with success in their opinion. My palate has always noticed the opposite - water seems to hinder & hurt the 4R. I've met with success by following a quote I read here some time ago that water enhances some bourbons but 4R is not one of them. Maybe I should give it another try with one of the more recent releases.

I can say that I have experienced the same shift for myself. When I first got in to 4R, I never added water, but I I think both LE bottlings in 2013 improve with a little H2O. Recent Gift Shop and private 1Bs also do well with a bit of water, but retail picks from Binny's still beg to be left alone. I'm sure it's my own palate evolution, but I definitely notice the trend you put voice to.

I can say that I have experienced the same shift for myself. When I first got in to 4R, I never added water, but I I think both LE bottlings in 2013 improve with a little H2O. Recent Gift Shop and private 1Bs also do well with a bit of water, but retail picks from Binny's still beg to be left alone. I'm sure it's my own palate evolution, but I definitely notice the trend you put voice to.

The way I see it one must remain hydrated and if there's some alcohol in the mix so much the better.

This stuff is damn tasty. But I have to admit the 2012 is better by a slight margin.
I agree.:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

I agree.:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Opened a 2012 just to be sure. It's better. But there's no more around so 'a hunting we will go for 2013. I think there's a higher dose of 17 year OBSV in the 2012. And that one is my death row bourbon #electric chair :)

Opened a 2012 just to be sure. It's better. But there's no more around so 'a hunting we will go for 2013. I think there's a higher dose of 17 year OBSV in the 2012. And that one is my death row bourbon #electric chair :)

Are you referring to the SmB? Speaking of the SmB is there a list somewhere that shows the proportions used?

Yeah small batch obviously. And there IS more 17 yr in the 2012. Mainly bc there isn't any at all in the 2013. :P

Yeah small batch obviously. And there IS more 17 yr in the 2012. Mainly bc there isn't any at all in the 2013. :P

Touche Sean. :) .........

Are you referring to the SmB? Speaking of the SmB is there a list somewhere that shows the proportions used?

While we know the various recipes used in the SmB I don't think the proportions of each is generally made available.

They have made the proportions public in the past. I have a photo somewhere of Jim Rutledge at one Small Batch LE release shindig. He's standing by a tray of graduated cylinders with the component whiskeys ready for mixing.

Yes, they've given out the proportions before but I think the numbers were guidelines rather than static.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd never find this in my neck of the woods. I saw the LESB in KY several years ago and had to pass due to lack of funds. Saw either the 2012 or 2013 (maybe - wish I could remember) at a bar and grill in TX in March of this year (which may have been too early for the 13) and had a pour. The week before Christmas I stopped at a store on my NW FL whiskey hunting route that I sometimes skip and there it was on the shelf behind the counter. I picked up two at $75 each and opened one Christmas Eve. I've always liked the regular SB, but this 2013 LE is sublime. Can't wait to spend more time with it.

I was underwhelmed by the 2012 LE 1B, despite lots of positive reviews. With half a bottle of it left, I find I enjoy it more, but it still lacks a wow factor for me. I greatly preferred the 2013 when I drank it back in September. Maybe I just got an exceptional 2013, and an off 2012 barrel. In fairness, I'm going through an odd time with my palate being much more sensitive to Oak and rye than in the past. I'll have to try both side by side on a good day. :)

Edited by DEelfinn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.