What bourbon did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, yesterday, but couldn't post before account was activated:

OWA 107

Weller 12

Weller SR

EWSB 2011 (we notate with the year it was bottled, correct?)

George Dickel #12 (which appears to have been a major error on my part, based on first taste last night)

4R Yellow Label

Ordered the EWSB 2012 from another store

Nice pick up with the Wellers. As to the EWSB, I reference it by the year it was barreled, so the EWSB would be a 2001 to me.

Nothing. Did not get the TPS email so I bought nothing. Pfft.

I didn't get the email either, wtf... I get all of their other emails, I wonder why I didn't get this one?

I bought a PVW23 today for no other reason than I saw it on a shelf. Such a weird site that I fell for it. I paid a few $ more than I wanted to but it wasn't bad enough to call it price gouging I don't guess. I used to have my pick from the A, B, or C releases if I wanted one. Those days are gone and I'm not sure I will see too many more of these going forward.

I've certainly done worse things before.

I expect the 114 may grow even more scarce as it's reputation increases.

I expect the same. This will be my first taste, so if it goes well I'll probably head back and buy another bottle. I was kind of shocked to see it, they were actually out of a lot of stuff due to the holiday season, and there were 4 bottles just sitting there looking all lonely...

~SW

Been eying an OFBB 2012 and finally broke down and snagged 1 of 2 bottles on the shelf. Saw the other one walk off with a another fellow a little later.

I didn't get the email either, wtf... I get all of their other emails, I wonder why I didn't get this one?

I got the email 1 minute after the pipeline opened from TPS. All I wanted was a rye. However, once I got into the site, it was gone. I could have gotten 1 of the others but decided to keep hunting down a PHC '12 instead.

No luck as of yet on the PHC but did get a break when I found a WLW '12 still waiting for me at a local.

Just "found myself" at Total Wine, and with a store credit in hand, obviously had to buy some bourbon. They were out of some of my stalwarts like ETL, and I am well stocked with some of my other stalwarts like OWA and ERSB, so I used the opportunity to pick up a Makers 46. I've passed it up many times, but it is time to give it a shot.

Based on all the positive word of mouth, I picked up a fifth of Larceny. After the $10 mail-in rebate, it's just 15 bucks.

It's worth noting that the whiskey in the bottles available now was likely not distilled in Breckenridge. I do have to say that the one time I've tried it, it did strike me as a good bourbon that is probably worth the $35 it costs in Colorado.

Everything I've read suggests very much that the Breck on the shelves today was NOT distilled there. Which I could care less about, given that I like it a lot. However, it got me wondering 'how much will this change when their own white dog goes into the barrels?', which led me to 'how much of this do I need to bunker in case I don't like it when the change comes?' So, I called the distillery. Didn't get to talk to the master distiller, but the gal I talked to was really sweet, and said she'd go present my questions directly to him. About an hour later, the phone rang, and she said she'd spoken to the man, and nothing will change before summer of 2013. She also said "he asked me to tell you that you will not be able to tell the difference when we move to our own juice". So I'm really hoping he's right.

Picked up a couple more Lot B's the price was right and its only going to keep getting higher,so I figured what the hell.

Grabbed 2 bottles of PHC 6th and 3 bottles of Weller 12 year. Can't wait to open the PHC after reading through the "best of 2012" thread.

Picked up 6 bottles of 2012 FR LE SmB. Really glad I have some to bunker. I was afraid I wasn't going to find any this year.

I had some luck in my holiday travels. Picked up a vertical of OF birthday 08-12. Was shocked to find them all in one place. Bought two sets. Also had to buy a Hirsch 21 Rye as I had never seen one in wild.

Picked up a HH 80 which I have seen on the MI liquor list but have never seen in a store, EW 1783 which I have only seen once before, OGD 114 and 2 age stated WSR. I went out simply looking to replace my OGD 114 (which is the best bang for the buck out there) but none of my regs had any (1 shopkeep told me there was an OGD 114 shortage in MI, which didn't make sense to me but...) so stopped by a lil shop I have been in but don't frequent and came across all this for around $90, I was happy.

Outlaw that would have been my shopping list as well, surprising how much good Bourbon you can get for less than $100.00.

Went shopping yesterday, and came up with:

Eagle Rare 10yo, private barrel for Colonial Liquors

Weller 12yo (cheapest I could find it in MA at 34.99)

Great King Street Artist's Blend Scotch $39.99, then found it at a second store for two dollars cheaper; not enough difference to go through the hassle of a return.

I had some luck in my holiday travels. Picked up a vertical of OF birthday 08-12. Was shocked to find them all in one place. Bought two sets. Also had to buy a Hirsch 21 Rye as I had never seen one in wild.

Super envious!!! I love the OFBB '08 and the '11 wasn't bad either. I wished I could find that line up in the ATL area. Great find and Welcome to SB.com!

PVW 23. Good timing on my part today. Went to Specs (Dallas) to pick up some cocktail supplies and ran into the whiskey salesman who managed their BTAC and Pappy waiting list. The store limited everyone to one bottle total this year to try and spread the love (I greatly appreciate their method). The more frequent customer points you had the higher you were on the wait list and the greater your choice. I didn't have a ton of points but did get an ER 17 in November. Specs Dallas got additional allocation when another chain could not pay for theirs (chain going thru bankruptcy I think). They held to their one bottle per customer and had worked everyone off their list. They had one bottle left and the manager said put it in the case today. I was there 5 minutes after they opened so got first crack at it and jumped on it. This is my 2nd bottle of 23 so its time to open one. Happy New Year!

^^^^ Nice score on the PVW 23.

Picked up two FR1B Gift Sets (bottle of FR1B plus two FR old fashioned glasses) for $29.99 each. This store has the best price around on FR1B, and they priced the gift set at the same price, so how could I pass that up...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!