So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

Burns is a great spot...  A part of me misses the old spot on Cherry St, but the new place downtown is phenomenal.  Always have a good time in Chatty for Tweetup.  It will be interesting to see how they work it this year though. 

A few nights ago in Destin, but still worthy of sharing.  Marvin at Harbor Cigars was so kind to share with me. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

Couple of Cohiba Reservas with the BIL the other night.  The age makes all the difference, of course that's up to a certain point and they go downhill - much like bourbon

A few nights ago in Destin, but still worthy of sharing.  Marvin at Harbor Cigars was so kind to share with me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fddef5e12341208e6c9b710bbdbc30ce.jpeg

image.jpeg

My first thought seeing that picture was"that's one huge cigar!"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

My first thought seeing that picture was"that's one huge cigar!"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

:lol::lol::lol:

On a hot July 4th afternoon in Tennessee the Crowned Heads Tennessee Waltz and Jefferson's Very Small Batch

IMG_3540.jpg  IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

On June 30, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

@GTD that is my home shop.  David Jones is normally the guy there and he is very knowledgeable.  Excellent shop.  I spend quite a lot of time there.

I think that was the gentleman's name.  I ended up getting a Rocky Patel 20th stick from him. I will definitely stop again next week when I pass back through 

Loved this cigar when it was first released almost a year ago now.  Bought ten of them, smoked 6 and put away 4 in the humidor for a while.  Just doesn't taste the same to me as it originally did.  Perhaps it is a cigar best enjoyed fresh.  I find this to be true with some Nicaraguan smokes.

IMG_3556.jpg

Trying to get rid of this bottle of WP rye.  Don't care for it much but in an Old Fashioned with a L'Atelier Extension de Racine from 2015 it was quite passable.  Great smoke for sure.  The L'Atelier line is one of the unspoken great smokes out there.

IMG_3560.jpg  IMG_3573.jpg

Ashton VSG Eclipse paired with WT101 lemonade. My first Dominican cigar in several years. Lots of flavor and power with the Ecuadorian wrapper

I've been smoking Brick House robusto's, toro's and mighty mighty's over the past few weeks.  I've found them to be both economical and quite enjoyable.  Medium to full flavored (the maduro wrappers being quite bold), with a well balanced flavor profile.  All I've tried have provided a good slow burn and even draw.  I will be a repeat buyer. 

Bolivar Belicoso Finos

IMG_3601.jpg  IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg  IMG_3616.jpg

How did this pairing work? Did ec overwhelm bbf? Or vice versa?

Smoking 2 Kristoffs after work. Both "medium plus" in body, in 5.5"x54 vitolas. I refer to such a size as "Robusto Grande". The first was the Sumatra, which had some sweet notes like table molasses combined with baking spices. In the second half, a marmalade\candied orange zest note came into play. The smoke at the foot smelled like roasted peanuts at this point.

I am now moving onto the Cameroon. Slightly less sweet, but some pleasant cream and medium roast coffee notes so far.

Both are very well-constructed, with a dense pack, firm feel, pigtail cap and uncut foot. Smoke output is modest in both sticks, but plenty of flavor in every draw. So far, their original Criollo is still my favorite, but I have yet to find a blend of theirs I didn't like. Kristoff is quickly becoming one of my favorite boutique brands, as their flavor profiles tend to break away from the norms!

Not the kind of thing I would choose if I am in the mood for a "Cubanesque" Nicaraguan (Fernandez, Oliva, Garcia), but always thoroughly-enjoyable.

7 hours ago, bdrinker said:

How did this pairing work? Did ec overwhelm bbf? Or vice versa?

Neither.  The pairing was very good.  I had a ribeye before this so I found that the earthy flavors of the BBF to be near perfect with the EC.  The cigar brought out the leather and brown sugar notes in the EC with just of hint of orange on the back end of the finish.

Smoked a Blanton's Single Reserve at a local charity event this evening.  I wasn't expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised.  It's blended local tobacco, very well constructed, with a nice draw and even burn.  Head and shoulders above the Maker's dipped sticks I've been unfortunate enough to sample.  Well after dinner, I also enjoyed a Perdomo Champagne robusto to wrap up the evening.   

L'Atelier Extension de Racine 2015 while roasting a 2 lb Colombian blend this morning.

IMG_3641.jpgIMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3648.jpgIMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

Wrapping up the weekend with a La Gloria Cubana Churchill accompanied by a pour of Hakushu 12.  

Oliva Serie V double robusto, always a favorite of mine. Tonight it's pairing very nicely with some baby Saz

2013 Ramon Allones Special Selection.  This stick is always good to me.  For the price this is a hard Cuban to beat.

IMG_3675.jpg  IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg  IMG_3692.jpg

Asylum 13, The Ogre Robusto.   A nicely rolled barber pole style in dual Nicaraguan Habano and Candela wrappers, plus an all Nicaraguan filler & binder core.  Nice draw with an even burn.  Starts moderately, then moves to richer and fuller flavor as you get further into it.  Moderately complex and still cool at the foot on the finish.  I've always considered barber pole (striped) cigars as a bit of a novelty, but this is a well done and satisfying after dinner cigar...