Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I live in the suburbs of Chicago. In late November I paid:

$30.99 a piece for 2 bottles of ORVW10

$42.99 a piece for 2 bottles of VWSR12

$61.99 a piece for 2 bottles of PVW15

$100.99 a piece for 2 bottles of PVW20

$215.99 a piece for 2 bottles of PVW23

That's beyond remarkable...

Oh I absolutely know that and there was no sort of bulk discount. The place I got them from consistently has either the lowest prices or is priced on par with everything in the surrounding area. They had the BTAC for $70 a piece, which is also low for Chicago.

post-10781-14489820350244_thumb.jpgA store I'd been to a couple times said they were getting some in on a tues. Didn't know when. Told me to check every tues around 9am. Checked in for 2 months and decided to stop on a tues to get a bottle of Blanton's and see what the scoop was on PVW. The clerk told me they got it the previous thurs and it was all gone. So I called a store that was listed as a vendor that's about 1.5hr from me. They had 4 varieties and multiple bottles. I hung up and started driving north. One thing they didn't tell me was that prices were jacked up 1000%.

ORVW10 107 -$399 VW12 $549 PVW15 $1199 and PVW20 $1599.

A local store had a bottle of PVW20 for $1000.

Seen the secondary market go up to $2k for PVW23. Madness people. Madness.

Oh I absolutely know that and there was no sort of bulk discount. The place I got them from consistently has either the lowest prices or is priced on par with everything in the surrounding area. They had the BTAC for $70 a piece, which is also low for Chicago.

Pretty cool that they were that low. That's about $10 below MSRP on all of them.

In TX, I paid 49.99 for ORVW, 69.99 for VWFR, and $325 for PVW23

Those are good prices for TX this year. I still can't believe some places were selling ORVW for $66 this year. :bigeyes: :hot: Especially, since there was supposedly much more available this year according to an email from VW.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17542[/ATTACH]A store I'd been to a couple times said they were getting some in on a tues. Didn't know when. Told me to check every tues around 9am. Checked in for 2 months and decided to stop on a tues to get a bottle of Blanton's and see what the scoop was on PVW. The clerk told me they got it the previous thurs and it was all gone. So I called a store that was listed as a vendor that's about 1.5hr from me. They had 4 varieties and multiple bottles. I hung up and started driving north. One thing they didn't tell me was that prices were jacked up 1000%.

That is absolutely disgusting.

I can get PVW20 any day of of the week for around $250 from a contact in the wholesale liquor industry and still think its too much, I dont bother, I have a couple bottles bunkered from 3-4 years ago and when tbeyre gone I wont be in a hurry to get any more.

I can get PVW20 any day of of the week for around $250 .

I have been considering a bottle of Lot B for not much less than that as a special purchase for my birthday (my wife bless her heart has given the green light on this extravagance). I would jump on that 20 yr (or 15 yr also) if I had the opportunity.

Sadly I do not have a stash of anything so interesting, although I did get my hands on a bottle of PVW 23 last year and bought it in a fit of madness :grin:. I have not cracked it yet, but I most definitely will at some point; I am in no rush.

I will admit that I have been caught up a little in the hype that is Pappy, and know there is better value for money out there. It does not stop my curiosity though :lol:

Not just better value, there's a reason why consumers years ago preferred the rye recipe whiskys on the shelf right next to the Van Winkles even though the ryed brands cost more.

I suggest you sample the Van Winkle you have before committing to buying more.

I suggest you sample the Van Winkle you have before committing to buying more.

Sage advice from Squire. Let alone a $250 Lot B if that is what you are truly contemplating. I like Lot B, but at $50, not $250. Do what ya gotta do though-it's your money.

So I called a store that was listed as a vendor that's about 1.5hr from me. They had 4 varieties and multiple bottles. I hung up and started driving north. One thing they didn't tell me was that prices were jacked up 1000%.

I've been to this store a few times. The sad part is he has been sitting on the the 15+ for a few years now while also increasing the price. His brother also runs another store about 20 minutes from there. Same stuff in the display, same prices.

They also had some Stagg and WLW for the low, low price of $500. :)

Sage advice from Squire. Let alone a $250 Lot B if that is what you are truly contemplating. I like Lot B, but at $50, not $250. Do what ya gotta do though-it's your money.

Buy a Weller 12. It's the same juice and in blind tests only half the bourbon drinkers I know can tell the difference between it and Lot B.

Such a shame Tyler. I've had the WLW at rumpus room and it's my personal favorite. I'd love to have a bottle but I just can't justify that price tag or dealing with scum and villainy to get my faves.

I have seen a PVW 20 at a liquor store by my parents house(different state) for $400. Almost picked it up. But honestly, I'd rather have 4 bottles of POH than one PVW20; although I do already have a bottle of PVW20.

Buy a Weller 12. It's the same juice and in blind tests only half the bourbon drinkers I know can tell the difference between it and Lot B.

Trust me I have tried!, it is just not available here unfortunately.

FWIW I agree with the advice given, but those $50 bottles you enjoy in the US are literally 3x the price here (or 4 or 5 times the price sometimes!) so perspective of value is relative.

Its all fun and games anyway, we just have to pay a bit more to play :grin:

haven't had the weller 12. would love to try it. can't find it anywhere in milwaukee area or chicago(i.e. binnys) is it really that much better than current on the shelf wsr or owa?

Not so much that it's better, just that it is the same 12 years old as the Lot B, so very similar.

I have been considering a bottle of Lot B for not much less than that as a special purchase for my birthday (my wife bless her heart has given the green light on this extravagance). I would jump on that 20 yr (or 15 yr also) if I had the opportunity.

Sadly I do not have a stash of anything so interesting, although I did get my hands on a bottle of PVW 23 last year and bought it in a fit of madness :grin:. I have not cracked it yet, but I most definitely will at some point; I am in no rush.

I will admit that I have been caught up a little in the hype that is Pappy, and know there is better value for money out there. It does not stop my curiosity though :lol:

I think its one of those things you need to get out of your system so you can move onward and upward! Can you find a bar in your area that pours PVW?

Heres some food for thought...rather than one bottle of LotB you can get two PHCs from dan. Thats a trade of one good bottle for two bottles I would consider to be fairly special.

PHC is unavailable on Dans, also one I would love to try.

You are not wrong about getting it out of my system either:rolleyes:

I am sure common sense will prevail and I will choose something else (or as you said 2 of some thing else) for the money.

Check out the Dans website - they have quite a few online exclusive beverages, including ETL, PHC, Blantons Gold...one website I check semi-regulalrly to see whats coming soon to our shores

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!