Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Or you just drink the goodies, refill with Weller 12 and then buy a new screwtop cap and put it on. The ring doesn't pull off going on, only when opening.

Really though, if someone wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to find a couple cases of black bottles and print up some labels and refill them with Weller SR with a couple drops of caramel food coloring and vanilla extract added. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even after they opened the bottles. You can buy the metal capsule seals pretty easily.

FYI I'm Chinese...

Or you just drink the goodies, refill with Weller 12 and then buy a new screwtop cap and put it on. The ring doesn't pull off going on, only when opening.

Really though, if someone wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to find a couple cases of black bottles and print up some labels and refill them with Weller SR with a couple drops of caramel food coloring and vanilla extract added. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even after they opened the bottles. You can buy the metal capsule seals pretty easily.

FYI I'm Chinese...

I was going to post something along those lines... It's funny how you Chinese think alike.

FYI I'm Chinese...

Best defense is for all those having deep bunkers is to break the bottle before it hits the bin ... producers also have to step up and learn from the wine industry on how to defend against fraud with engraving and labels that are probably more secure than currency. You buy off the back of the truck (or BX or equivalent for that matter) and you take your chances.

FYI I'm Chinese...

Interesting how a "flip" comment impacts more people then you think

This small local store where I got a Stagg last year got a pretty decent allocation, about 10 bottles of Van Winkle. When I happened to notice them sitting behind the counter I asked how much, and he replied, "I haven't priced them yet, what do you think would be a fair price?" I walked out with a Lot b for $65 and a Stagg for $75. No lists, no markups. I might go back for a 15, I might not. I educated him on bottle codes and told him to keep the PVW20 for himself, since it was a 2011 bottling and he seemed really excited about it.

The second wave of Van Winkle whiskey was released in San Diego County on Thursday to the major player in the region, BevMo. The first wave was to the independent stores and boutique wine and liquor shops, several weeks ago. Limit 1 bottle, total, per customer. I was able to purchase a "Lot B" for $54. They were sold out of the other labels except for ORVW ($40) when I made my purchase, but those were snagged by the folks coming in right behind me.

The second wave of Van Winkle whiskey was released in San Diego County on Thursday to the major player in the region, BevMo. The first wave was to the independent stores and boutique wine and liquor shops, several weeks ago. Limit 1 bottle, total, per customer. I was able to purchase a "Lot B" for $54. They were sold out of the other labels except for ORVW ($40) when I made my purchase, but those were snagged by the folks coming in right behind me.

If you are a Lot B guy stick with what you got. However I have both Lot B and 10/107 open from this year and (to my taste) the Old Rip blows away the B. Not even close. It's darker richer and has more wheater characteristics. If you can swap for an Old Rip plus something else or $ I would do it in a heartbeat. Again just my opinion.

I don't think I posted in here, but from what I was told - never saw them on the shelves:

10 - 49.99

12 - 75.99

15 - 109.99

20 - 175.99

As far as I know the rye and 23 didn't hit WV, and I think the other four all went straight to the owners.

One lonely bottle of Lot B for $99.99. I laughed out loud then went to look at cigars. Strolled down the aisle 10 minutes later and it was gone. Worth it to someone I guess, but not me.

I don't think I posted in here, but from what I was told - never saw them on the shelves:

10 - 49.99

12 - 75.99

15 - 109.99

20 - 175.99

As far as I know the rye and 23 didn't hit WV, and I think the other four all went straight to the owners.

That's very close to the "good" prices here this year.

One lonely bottle of Lot B for $99.99. I laughed out loud then went to look at cigars. Strolled down the aisle 10 minutes later and it was gone. Worth it to someone I guess, but not me.

Good call.

This year I purchased:

10/107 $39.99

Lot b 12 $59.99

20 Year $129.99-10%

Very respectable.

If you are a Lot B guy stick with what you got. However I have both Lot B and 10/107 open from this year and (to my taste) the Old Rip blows away the B. Not even close. It's darker richer and has more wheater characteristics. If you can swap for an Old Rip plus something else or $ I would do it in a heartbeat. Again just my opinion.

I haven't got into my '13 Lot B yet, but the '13 10yr I have open is extraordinarily good. Thick, sweet, chewy, and tempered with a perfect oakiness of 10 yr whiskey. I'm troubled to hear of your less than stellar experiences with this years Lot B. I have been able to recognize a distinction between prior years Lot B's (I like), and Weller 12 (not like over last couple of years. Dry, astringent, unpleasant). I'm beginning to fear that the distinction is gone...and, hoping that yours, Jon's, and Dawn's tasters just plain blow...:lol:

I haven't got into my '13 Lot B yet, but the '13 10yr I have open is extraordinarily good. Thick, sweet, chewy, and tempered with a perfect oakiness of 10 yr whiskey. I'm troubled to hear of your less than stellar experiences with this years Lot B. I have been able to recognize a distinction between prior years Lot B's (I like), and Weller 12 (not like over last couple of years. Dry, astringent, unpleasant). I'm beginning to fear that the distinction is gone...and, hoping that yours, Jon's, and Dawn's tasters just plain blow...:lol:

Joe, I do not claim sufficient experience or a refined palate. However I put great stock in those who tasted with me and Dawn took one sip of this year's Lot B and pushed it away. That was it. Done. Jon and I made a go of finishing our pours but they were kind of choked down. I won't rehash the tasting field but it was fair competition. I agree with you as stated upthread on the 10/107. I would definitely buy more.

All of the poor reviews of this year's lot b have me a little bummed as it's the only VW I bought this year but at $55, I figured it was worth a shot. I'll do a side by side with a current Weller 12 and then decide if I'm a sucker or not.

Was looking through Craigslist, not sure why and found this. Just crazy-

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year "Lot B": $220

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye: $520

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 Year: $480

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 Year: $870

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 Year: $1175

Just over the top - I think it was LostBottle that posted on signs of a bubble - this surely is one. Someone want my PVW23 for $1175? It's yours. I need to pay some taxes.

Previously I had always said no way can anyone pay these prices. I am now believing some are, sadly.

I witnessed a person pay 800 for a 15 year and 2 grand for a 23. People are paying these prices unfortunately....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm troubled to hear of your less than stellar experiences with this years Lot B. I have been able to recognize a distinction between prior years Lot B's (I like), and Weller 12 (not like over last couple of years. Dry, astringent, unpleasant). I'm beginning to fear that the distinction is gone...and, hoping that yours, Jon's, and Dawn's tasters just plain blow...:lol:

Hell that would pay for my trip to KY for what I have.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!