Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I finally got a call from my local liquor store today. They decided to go with a different approach that I have not seen talked about on here. They had about 15 (serious) buyers on their list for the Pappy release. the manager spent a few hours calling every customer and asking the maximum price they were willing to spend on each bottle. Each customer only got one bottle no matter if you "bid" the highest on each bottle or not. I said I would spend $300 on the 23, $120 on the 15, and $60 on the 10 year.

I got a call back that the 23 had a max price (bid) of $900 already and the 15 year was at around $300. You cant blame a liquor store for selling it at that price especially at the fair route they took. Since they have hooked me up in the past and are good people, I decided to spend $100 on a 10 year. Definitely more then I wanted to spend but it might just be my only bottle this year.

Thanks for your honest input. You make a very good point that it may be your only shot at a bottle for several months.

Indeed, I have been able to grab numerous 10/107s and 10/90s for MSRP in the past. I think overall I am still ahead of the curve.

The bidding practice may not be a bad idea in rooting out the flippers but still giving the enthusiast crowd a chance at a bottle. At least the store can say they aren't trying to gouge customers by letting the market decide the price.

The bidding practice may not be a bad idea in rooting out the flippers but still giving the enthusiast crowd a chance at a bottle. At least the store can say they aren't trying to gouge customers by letting the market decide the price.

As soon as he told me the price that someone offered for the 23, I thought the same thing. There is no "meat left on the bone" for a flipper.

Was told that there are people waiting outside the warehouse hounding people who are picking up or the truck drivers to sell the PVW. This is definitely true.

As soon as he told me the price that someone offered for the 23, I thought the same thing. There is no "meat left on the bone" for a flipper.

More support for the argument that VW is underpriced.

More support for the argument that VW is underpriced.

But when you move the price up you sacrifice the buzz. That buzz of the masses is really cheap marketing and is driven by the hunt.

I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but you don't want to kill the buzz of the drones. That's what helps keep the brand profile high.

But when you move the price up you sacrifice the buzz. That buzz of the masses is really cheap marketing and is driven by the hunt.

I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but you don't want to kill the buzz of the drones. That's what helps keep the brand profile high.

But if you keep producing less than demand, you keep the "buzz" no?

Wow - $900 for the 23? $300 for 15? And $100 for the 10/107? That's Tulip bulb territory. I thought I was crazy buying a 23 for $300 back in June from a retailer who offered it to me - but I wanted to complete my set. Not sure what I'll do with it. Possibly save it for my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner. I heard an interesting story on Whiskycast about an incredible rehearsal dinner with an amazing lineup of whiskies. I think maybe that's what I'll do with my hoard. Throw one heck of a party - 20 years from now.

Not sure why but this year for the first time I've seen a lot of 10/107 on the shelves (a lot being any at all). I've opened my 10/107 and at $40 it's a fine bourbon - tasted blind it wouldn't be my favorite in that price range. And at $100 I'd feel like I'd been ripped off. I hope I'm not wrong but I really think that the current state of demand/supply curves being out of balance is temporary, especially if you take a 5-10 year view. Almost all of the Pappy I bought this year I'll be tasting out - thereby feeding the frenzy but also hopefully dispelling some of the mania. In total this Fall I was fortunate enough to buy 4 10/107 @ $42; 2-12yrs @ $62; 1-PVWFRR13yr @ $82; 1-15yr @ $109; and 1-20yr @$140. I let a friend have one of the 10/107s at cost and the most of the rest will be used for some charity tastings I gave away as a fundraiser for some non-profits.

I wonder if we are at, or near, the peak of the Pappy mania? A fire needs oxygen to burn and the extreme lack of supply relative to demand keeps interest alive but as prices inflate to absurd levels and people are beginning to give up the hunt - will the bubble deflate slowly over time as supply increases or will it deflate rapidly with lots of stores sitting on optimistically priced bottles? No doubt we have at least a year or two before it comes but as they say in Game of Thrones - 'Winter is Coming'.

Perhaps coming out with some honey barrels to keep the enthusiast . . . with the good and lower end bottle. So now the whole line is on firing which I have not seen before around here.

Edited by tigerlam92

But when you move the price up you sacrifice the buzz. That buzz of the masses is really cheap marketing and is driven by the hunt. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but you don't want to kill the buzz of the drones. That's what helps keep the brand profile high.
Exactly right. I think they've got the perfect thing going right now and if they raise by more than few % a year, they'll blow it. Testing the high $$ waters is Jeffersons aged releases, and they aren't flying anywhere.

Exactly right. I think they've got the perfect thing going right now and if they raise by more than few % a year, they'll blow it. Testing the high $$ waters is Jeffersons aged releases, and they aren't flying anywhere.

You might be surprised. In our neck of the woods the JPS series is doing well, the older and more expensive it is, the better it seems. JPS of whatever age is selling well in central Ky.

You might be surprised. In our neck of the woods the JPS series is doing well, the older and more expensive it is, the better it seems. JPS of whatever age is selling well in central Ky.

Just scored a 15 for $125. I'm happy with that, it will be my first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Has Pappy made it into a Rap or Hip-Hop lyric yet? It hasn't hit the big time like Cristal or Courvoisier until it does...

:slappin:

Has Pappy made it into a Rap or Hip-Hop lyric yet? It hasn't hit the big time like Cristal or Courvoisier until it does...

:slappin:

While the pappy-mania and general marketing strategy have made it overpriced even at retail it is still a very good drink, unlike either Cristal or Courvoisier, thereby making it ineligible for rap or hip-hop lyrics and videos...

:smiley_acbt:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!