Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Our group picked a couple of barrels of EC12 in April. We actually vatted the two and will have it bottled as a dual barrel .. same as we did last year. We had the option of bottling it at 94 or at barrel proof. We chose 94 to keep it priced at the level of the shelf EC12 for the consumer. Had it been barrel strength, it would have to be priced higher.

If anyone in the store has a clue .. they should tell you .. or call someone who knows.

But, hey ... if it's delicious ... makes sense to grab all you can!

There is another thread about how burn/feel isn't tied strictly to proof (so a single barrel still at 94 proof could taste "stronger"). Understand a delay in the pic, but what was the color? As RM said, it would look like root beer or Dr. Pepper, compared to an EC12.

As a frame of reference, here is a shot I took of mine against a white background to show how dark the color is, next to a private barrel pick of an EC12:

post-7689-14489819213001_thumb.jpg

The two don't look anything alike. I promise this photo isn't retouched. If it looks more like the one on the left than on the right, I'd guess it is a private barrel selection. Although to Jon's point - if it taste great, enjoy!

Damn, we still don't have this down here in Houston...WTF?

Have not seen it in FL either. I am hoping it turns up soon.

This came and went in 1 day in New York as far as I can tell. I saw the price and empty slot for it in one store but that has since disappeared.

Since there has been so much curiosity, and since I purchased a few (still waiting to pick up from my friend), I called Heaven Hill and someone and is looking into the cask. Will let you know when I hear back!

So, trying to understand this bottle a little more.

Do we know for sure this is just EC12 barrels but bottle at barrel proof and not filtered. Is this all it is to create something so good?

I have never tasted EC12 but also hearing others that even diluted down its way better but some are attributed this to the lack of filtration.

Do we think there is more to it that we don't know? Or this batch has some special juju.

Because if it is just barrel proof and unfiltered, every year and hundreds of times when they taste test barrels they had tasted this right and why not release this before?

Well, apparently others have tasted barrel-proof EC12 and commented on how good it was prior to this release, so I imagine this is just selected EC12 at barrel-proof (sans chill-filtering) and that is enough distinction. Who knows if it will ever get to Hawaii...

I still think there is some juju in this batch. But anyhow I thank them for this offering.

I brought this now to two parties and gatherings so that I can drink it myself and offer to friends. This bottle leaves home with me.

Well, apparently others have tasted barrel-proof EC12 and commented on how good it was prior to this release, so I imagine this is just selected EC12 at barrel-proof (sans chill-filtering) and that is enough distinction. Who knows if it will ever get to Hawaii...

I think that had to be a big driver. I had an opportunity to taste some barrel-proof EC12 from three different barrels, and let's just say I wouldn't have kicked any out of bed (although not all were equal candidates for a barrel-proof offering). I like that it isn't single barrel, as I think that gives them more flexibility. Might be some barrels that by themselves wouldn't make the cut, but mingle nicely with the others.

There is another thread about how burn/feel isn't tied strictly to proof (so a single barrel still at 94 proof could taste "stronger"). Understand a delay in the pic, but what was the color? As RM said, it would look like root beer or Dr. Pepper, compared to an EC12.

As a frame of reference, here is a shot I took of mine against a white background to show how dark the color is, next to a private barrel pick of an EC12:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15699[/ATTACH]

Sorry still haven't gotten a pic up yet, but I can tell you that the bottle I got in NJ is NOT that dark ... tasting again, it does taste more concentrated than normal EC12, but tasting side by side with Rare Breed (the only other bourbon I had opened above 100 pf) it does not taste as strong - I know not a great comparison but the best I could compare to with what I had on hand. So my guess is that the bottle I got in NJ is a single barrel bottling for the store, but not necessarily cask strength. What the actual proof is I don't know - the store display says 134.2, but now I have my doubts based on the color comparison - in any event it is a nice selection, but I'll have to keep looking for the actual ECBP; this bottling while good may not actually be a good comparison.

Since sutton brought the NJ store bottling back into discussion, I'll further add to the confusion with the fact that the store verified that the sample it received from HH was labelled at 134.6 proof (it was). Would HH issue a sample to a store at 134.6 proof, but then bottle it at 94 proof without telling a retailer? And wouldn't a retailer have paid a different price to the distributor based upon 94 proof vs 134.6 proof, which would then enter into the pricing at retail? Or might HH have just mislabelled the sample it sent?

I ask those questions in all seriousness. This is pretty bizarre in any case--I suspect only an answer from HH about what they bottled and shipped would clear it up, because the retailer truly thinks they have a 134.6 proof bourbon on their hands. As sutton described above, the bottling is Single Barrel Cask #4271507 V.

Yes. When doing a barrel selection for standard EC12, HH sends out cask strength samples. Standard practice.

What Jim said - samples are often at barrel strength (the 3 I had the privilege to try were), but if you order a private barrel it will be diluted to the proof. Which doesn't make it the same as retail (because EC12 batches often contain some older whiskey in them, so a single barrel selection could be 13 yr or 14 yr juice). At the end of the day - as long as the buyer is happy with the product and the price - sounds like all is right with the world :)

I know it is early in the year, and the Fall releases have yet to come... But I'll go ahead and give this one the 2013 Whiskey of the Year Award.

Yes. When doing a barrel selection for standard EC12, HH sends out cask strength samples. Standard practice.

That's probably the answer right there. Quite the clusterf**k. I might be returning the bottles then, as I can pick up other store custom barrels for less. Or I'll ask them to refund some of the purchase price, due to their error. These were a great price for cask strength, but not so great for 94 proof. Back to regularly scheduled discussion of ECBP.

Edited by jeffrey r

That's probably the answer right there. Quite the clusterf**k. I might be returning the bottles then, as I can pick up other store custom barrels for less. Or I'll ask them to refund some of the purchase price, due to their error. These were a great price for cask strength, but not so great for 94 proof. Back to regularly scheduled discussion of ECBP.

You should visit your ABC regulations for your state in case someone throw out that ABC does not allow them to return spirits just beer and wine. This is not completely true and depends on your state. For example in CA, it's been a while now, but I checked before and it was true years ago spirit can't be return because it doesn't really spoil. But in the 60's this was over turned where you can return it only if you had bought something not what you had thought it was but cannot return if you had over purchase or change your mind.

Anyhow, if it is a matter of wrong advertisement or promotional selling, they probably would take it back.

Anyhow, since its a good bottle, the worse is that you take it back and drink it.

Tiger, since I was in contact with the store about the whole proof thing already, I think they'll work with me. First and foremost, I am going to tell them that they better do some further checking themselves and remove their 134 proof sign, lest they they get caught on this worse than it is now.

Second, I'll try to work something out with them on my bottles. But if it remained the status quo, where I spent $35 a bottle on some single barrel EC12, it would rank pretty low on my list of real concerns, so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I'd happily drink the bottles.

Love the wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum. Such a quick answer about the sample often being cask strength, but bottled at normal proof. Interesting factoid regardless.

Tiger, since I was in contact with the store about the whole proof thing already, I think they'll work with me. First and foremost, I am going to tell them that they better do some further checking themselves and remove their 134 proof sign, lest they they get caught on this worse than it is now.

Second, I'll try to work something out with them on my bottles. But if it remained the status quo, where I spent $35 a bottle on some single barrel EC12, it would rank pretty low on my list of real concerns, so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I'd happily drink the bottles.

Love the wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum. Such a quick answer about the sample often being cask strength, but bottled at normal proof. Interesting factoid regardless.

Sorry for directing you over there, Jeffery - I guess some things are too good to be true - but the combination of the store's rep and experience, and that display was more than I could resist. There are only a few stores I'd impulse buy based on the display information, and that is one of them.

As you stated, the bourbon is good - a nice barrel of EC12, just not a substitute for the ECBP...

I had a strong suspicion that this wasn't legit when the bottle said 94 proof and was a standard EC12 label.

And I second that the real EC12bp is leader in the clubhouse for bourbon of the year. Curious to see how StaggJr shakes out before I cast my vote.

If BT releases a barrel strength younger expression in wider quantities than standard stagg, it should be of high quality

ECBP would get my vote as well. But we still got the fall and everything that brings with it.

I would agree - of this year's releases that I've had, ECBP was my favorite (although I haven't had 2013 FRSBLE, and still waiting for the PHC installment!)

Spoke with representative from Heaven Hill and she confirms the bottles are 94 proof. The sampling was done at cask strength, that is it. She's notified the store as well.

Update: Spoke with store and they at first insisted it is at cask strength. However after being transferred to a director and telling them I had been in touch with HH they told me they would contact the distillery and be back in touch by Monday. (The person who bought the barrels is out of country so director is a little confused as to how this mistake could have happened).

Note: I live on the west coast and brought bottles back, they mentioned they may even send fedex to pickup the bottles.

Edited by msong

I would agree - of this year's releases that I've had, ECBP was my favorite (although I haven't had 2013 FRSBLE, and still waiting for the PHC installment!)

Comon over Darryl. To the restaurant or the house. As much as I love the EC BS I'm gonna side with the 2013 FR. Just barely though ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.