Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spoke with representative from Heaven Hill and she confirms the bottles are 94 proof. The sampling was done at cask strength, that is it. She's notified the store as well.

Update: Spoke with store and they at first insisted it is at cask strength. However after being transferred to a director and telling them I had been in touch with HH they told me they would contact the distillery and be back in touch by Monday. (The person who bought the barrels is out of country so director is a little confused as to how this mistake could have happened).

Note: I live on the west coast and brought bottles back, they mentioned they may even send fedex to pickup the bottles.

I got the same response from the store - they believe it to be Single Barrel/Barrel Proof - something got messed up here, but this is a good retailer and they'll make it right, I suspect. I can't imagine that they believed 94 pf was actually barrel proof, since they modified their display to read 134.2 pf (the actual number) not just "barrel proof".

Comon over Darryl. To the restaurant or the house. As much as I love the EC BS I'm gonna side with the 2013 FR. Just barely though ...

I need to drag the wife out there - neither of us have ever been. Wedding tonight, but maybe next weekend. Heard tales of some nice FRSB's picked buy someone who knows their stuff :cool:

Doesn't look like I'll be getting any this time. My local store manager said the company decided to sell their allotment at stores elsewhere despite the fact that he was promised two cases, and my other hook-ups didn't get any. The only store I've heard of getting it around here is charging $99, and I refuse to pay that. I'd rather drive to HH and pick one up a GS bottle. Even with gas it would probably be cheaper!

Doesn't look like I'll be getting any this time. My local store manager said the company decided to sell their allotment at stores elsewhere despite the fact that he was promised two cases, and my other hook-ups didn't get any. The only store I've heard of getting it around here is charging $99, and I refuse to pay that. I'd rather drive to HH and pick one up a GS bottle. Even with gas it would probably be cheaper!

Brian, I know where that $99 bottle is and I passed as well. That markup will not earn them any of my other bourbon business either.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt W. was kind enough to send me a sample of the 1st batch ECBP. Below are my official thoughts.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 134.2p

Color: Ãœber dark. Deep brown.

Nose: Creamed corn with a maple syrup undertone. Mild pepper and soft spices, there's a pronounced cinnamon note. Noses around 100p.

Taste: A blast of heat on the front palate, high octane for sure. Cracked black pepper that rapidly transitions to cloves, allspice, and a musky thyme note with traces of oregano and rosemary. Drinks hot! A splash of water to tame this fiery beast introduces fresh sawdust and wood chips. Turning slightly dry and tannic....crap.

Finish: Dry with plenty of oaky, wood notes. Dries out the palate begging for a drink of water. All sweetness has faded at this point. Turning a bit chalky.

Rating: I'm going to be in the minority here but this one just doesn't do much for me. A nice start with sweet and spicy notes but it drinks hot at CS and water introduces undesirable notes to my palate. A solid bourbon for sure but not my cup of tea. Score is an 84.

Matt W. was kind enough to send me a sample of the 1st batch ECBP. Below are my official thoughts.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 134.2p

Color: Ãœber dark. Deep brown.

Nose: Creamed corn with a maple syrup undertone. Mild pepper and soft spices, there's a pronounced cinnamon note. Noses around 100p.

Taste: A blast of heat on the front palate, high octane for sure. Cracked black pepper that rapidly transitions to cloves, allspice, and a musky thyme note with traces of oregano and rosemary. Drinks hot! A splash of water to tame this fiery beast introduces fresh sawdust and wood chips. Turning slightly dry and tannic....crap.

Finish: Dry with plenty of oaky, wood notes. Dries out the palate begging for a drink of water. All sweetness has faded at this point. Turning a bit chalky.

Rating: I'm going to be in the minority here but this one just doesn't do much for me. A nice start with sweet and spicy notes but it drinks hot at CS and water introduces undesirable notes to my palate. A solid bourbon for sure but not my cup of tea. Score is an 84.

You're not alone. This bourbon doesn't do it for me, and find it to be overrated.

Kind of a good thing for us since it appears to be a hot and desired item in short supply. :P

I really dig this stuff, over ice, no water. A wrote a bit about it - and a funny story on finding a bottle in an unexpected place (liquor store connected to Costco in Memphis), checking out and having the cashier BREAK the bottle!, then doing my best to salvage the situation - http://www.thirstysouth.com/2013/05/27/elijah-craig-barrel-proof/.

I really thought I was just gonna be a wistful observer of this thread, but GLORY BE (to our distributor), Hawaii has received an allotment of the first batch! (at a reasonable price, to boot)

59b8312f-a690-4636-8cdc-6b8078419020.jpg

Edited by MauiSon

I really thought I was just gonna be a wistful observer of this thread, but GLORY BE (to our distributor), Hawaii has received an allotment of the first batch! (at a reasonable price, to boot)

59b8312f-a690-4636-8cdc-6b8078419020.jpg

Nice Maui. :bowdown: It's good to know that there is a little bourbon justice in this world once in a while. :cool: Enjoy!

Okay, now I've reread the thread and I'm second-guessing my buying only 2 bottles. Will some still be left if I go back? The store had it priced as a 'save $8' sale, so even if it returns to the shelf it will be priced higher. Not to mention, this is the introductory batch. Dang it! I'm going back.

Edited by MauiSon

HELL yeah, Maui. Even better find in the V21 IMO. Nice.

Okay, now I've reread the thread and I'm second-guessing my buying only 2 bottles. Will some still be left if I go back? The store had it priced as a 'save $8' sale, so even if it returns to the shelf it will be priced higher. Not to mention, this is the introductory batch. Dang it! I'm going back.

I am living vicariously through you, my friend. If you don't mind, what was the price on the "save $8" sale. All I see in Indiana is the pay through the a.. price.

Okay, I'm calm now. I went back & grabbed 2 more @ $45 each OTD. I did leave one, and the store may have more in back. I know it's not amazingly low, this store doesn't have the best prices, but it was on the shelf and now it's on my shelf.

[Point of Information - This is less expensive than FRSB ($45+tax) here]

Edited by MauiSon

I asked about this today at Vine & Table. They looked it up in their computer and said that they had some back in April. Their price on it was $45.99. Hopefully, they'll be getting some more when the next bottling comes to fruition. I'll gladly pay that price to try a bottle. $99 is insane!

I know a second shipment is coming (very) soon in KY. Not sure if it is a second batch or not. Also unsure if there will be more to go around this time.

I know a second shipment is coming (very) soon in KY. Not sure if it is a second batch or not. Also unsure if there will be more to go around this time.

Interesting, hope its true. I scoured every liquor store in KY between Ashland and Frankfort last weekend ... and couldn't find a bottle, or any indication that more is on the way. Finally found a second bottle here in WV.

Thanks for the heads-up ...

I asked about this today at Vine & Table. They looked it up in their computer and said that they had some back in April. Their price on it was $45.99. Hopefully, they'll be getting some more when the next bottling comes to fruition. I'll gladly pay that price to try a bottle. $99 is insane!

Thanks, good to know! I agree I would try it at $50 and under but not for $99.

Interesting, hope its true. I scoured every liquor store in KY between Ashland and Frankfort last weekend ... and couldn't find a bottle, or any indication that more is on the way. Finally found a second bottle here in WV.

Thanks for the heads-up ...

KY was the first place to get this. We sold out in a day and have been getting calls ever since.

It is in our distributors warehouse but each rep has not received his/her allotment. That is code for "I will get you some but don't expect to get very much".

I have no idea if it is a new batch or more of the first.

Exactly. Proof affects tax rate in KY so all spirits show proof in system. When he comes in next week, I will have him check proof in system.

So, it will be interesting if whatever goes out...a new batch or the original...ends up with the same pricing at some of the stores that have jacked up the price.

So, it will be interesting if whatever goes out...a new batch or the original...ends up with the same pricing at some of the stores that have jacked up the price.

For better or worse, the only rule in ky is that you can't sell at a loss on alcohol. The big box places will routinely sell at a dime over cost on high volume/low end items. Consumers never complain about that. But when a retailer goes the other way and marks a rare item up 200%, they are gouging.

We do our best not to gouge but we don't have the safety net that big multi unit operations have.

For better or worse, the only rule in ky is that you can't sell at a loss on alcohol. The big box places will routinely sell at a dime over cost on high volume/low end items. Consumers never complain about that. But when a retailer goes the other way and marks a rare item up 200%, they are gouging.

We do our best not to gouge but we don't have the safety net that big multi unit operations have.

Charge an honest price and nobody will care. That is IF you have strong product knowledge and stellar personal service. I will pay a few $ more at my local store if they take care of me when something good comes in. We have a couple of big chains that get all of the good stuff and kill you on price for that and most other things with a few loss leaders to get you in the door. They do not get my business. And check your PM. Lastly I plan to visit your store in August when my kid has a soccer tournament in Etown.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.