What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FRSBLE 2011 -- It gets such mixed reviews and I'm a huge FR fan so I figured I had to give it a try.

Also picked up some regular FRSB that was part of a barrel selection with Kroger and was on sale for $29. Not sure how I feel about Kroger's ability to pick barrels, but I'm sure FR wouldn't let them walk out with swill.

PHC2012 x2 yesterday.

Misses said we could stop on the way home from shopping yesterday. For some reason, she didn't think I was going to take her seriously on the offer.

Very happy to pick up a couple more of these.

B

FRSBLE 2011 -- It gets such mixed reviews and I'm a huge FR fan so I figured I had to give it a try.

Also picked up some regular FRSB that was part of a barrel selection with Kroger and was on sale for $29. Not sure how I feel about Kroger's ability to pick barrels, but I'm sure FR wouldn't let them walk out with swill.

Were the Kroger FRSBs barrel strength? If so, that's awesome (great price, too).

From the front they looked just like regular FRSB until I took it off the shelf and it had a sticker on the back saying that these came from a barrel selected by Kroger. So it's not a Private Selection where they do it barrel strength (I do have a 14 year OBSK like that), but it's still a damn good value for FRSB which usually runs $11 more.

EC12 x 2

Re-listed by LCBO. On "sale" this month for $40, going up to $44 in May.

EC12 x 2

Re-listed by LCBO. On "sale" this month for $40, going up to $44 in May.

What was $40? Surely not the EC12!

Moral of the story; don't shop for bourbon in Ontario, unless you have to.

Moral of the story; don't shop for bourbon in Ontario, unless you have to.

I guess that explains it. Just for kicks, I plugged in a 750 ml bottle ($20CDN) of 90 proof whiskey into the Canadian Duty Calculator--which resulted a total duty of $46.82 for B.C. Yikes!

OGD 114... $25.

Whooo doggy this stuff is HOT!

Alden, is this the first Barrel Proof bourbon that you have tried?

So recently I've been drastically cutting back my overall consumption as I prepare my liver for Kentucky Derby season in Louisville. I had been hitting it pretty hard in Feb-Mar and I need the month of April to normalize before I abuse my liver any more.

And when I'm not drinking alcohol, I'm buying alcohol.

Today's haul:

2 x Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

JPS 18 SW Batch #11

Mellow Corn

Yeah I know that last one doesn't fit, but I wanted to try it in a margarita as was suggested by Bernie Lubbers.

I also purchased a bottle of Evan Williams SB today. Mine's from 2000. It's taken me forever to hunt down anything pre-2002 because the majority of my local store's rotate out their stock very frequently. I'm looking forward to drinking this.

So recently I've been drastically cutting back my overall consumption as I prepare my liver for Kentucky Derby season in Louisville. I had been hitting it pretty hard in Feb-Mar and I need the month of April to normalize before I abuse my liver any more.

And when I'm not drinking alcohol, I'm buying alcohol.

Today's haul:

2 x Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

JPS 18 SW Batch #11

Mellow Corn

Yeah I know that last one doesn't fit, but I wanted to try it in a margarita as was suggested by Bernie Lubbers.

I can't wait to find EC barrel proof. Have you tasted it yet?

Picked up an EC BP, opened it at the store and gave each of the owners a taste but didnt get to taste myself as I was headed to the gym. I have taken some time building a relationship with them and they have hooked me up with some very tough to find bottles, this seemed to go a long way with them, they seemed surprised that I was willing to share, I hope they remember next fall.

Alden, is this the first Barrel Proof bourbon that you have tried?

Yes, I believe it is.

Is WT 101 BPB? If so, then this is the second.

I'm pretty sure that Wild Turkey comes out of the barrel at right around 108 proof (as in WTRB). So WT 101 is almost barrel proof, but not quite.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve for $45.99. Could'a fooled me that its 120 proof since it goes down so easy. Great bourbon, but at this price I may not buy another.

Eric

Picked up an EC BP, opened it at the store and gave each of the owners a taste but didnt get to taste myself as I was headed to the gym. I have taken some time building a relationship with them and they have hooked me up with some very tough to find bottles, this seemed to go a long way with them, they seemed surprised that I was willing to share, I hope they remember next fall.

Drop hints and continue to patronize this location. If they are not bourbon aficionados, give them tips on new releases and follow up to see if your tips/suggestions are selling. If they are, then outright ask for a bottle of pvw/btac when they arrive.

Also do all of your booze shopping there. Even if beer is a few cents more than the local big box grocer (who treats it as a loss Leader/shelf filler), Grocers sell beer at close to cost, most liquor stores cannot operate on such small of margins.

Yes, I believe it is.

That probably 'splains the heat you're getting. The barrel proofers take some easin' in to, and can be dang near nuclear right off the bat. But, it's not simply the alcohol. It's the unadulterated, full blown whiskey flavor that is powerful, as well. Enjoy...with care!

:toast:

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve for $45.99. Could'a fooled me that its 120 proof since it goes down so easy. Great bourbon, but at this price I may not buy another.

Eric

Where would that 'worth it for regular purchases' line be for you and KCSB?

If you could get it for, say, $35.99, would that change your long-term commitment prospects?

(I will admit that this is not entirely hypothetical in my case).

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!