Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks guys. I do love my Glenfarclas! It's the OB 40 year old, and it was the equivalent of about $305. A lot of coin, but too good to pass up.

My fav bottle I've ever had is a 30 Caol Isla. That old peat is amazing.

Recently stopped at a little store that I didn't know existed. Typical little independent in a supermarket strip mall. Bourbon selection was pretty standard. Was turning to leave and out of the corner of my eye I spot a Glenmorangie Sonnalta P.X. Covered in dust. Picked it up for $69 and also a Finealta as well.

Anyone have any experience with this Ardbeg?

post-1291-14489819280327_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this Ardbeg?

Um... No experience with that bottle but that appears to be a pre-closure single cask!

If that's yours that's an AMAZING score!

Valinch/distillery only bottle maybe?

A couple of relative oddities arrived for me from Europe via a friend. Zuidam's Millstone Rye 100pf whisky and Millstone Sherry Cask 12yo Dutch Single Malt Whisky.

I have no real idea what to expect. These were purchased at least in part based on the opportunity to make use of the kindness of a friend going to the Netherlands and in part due to some reviews about them on Whisky Advocate.

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2013/05/13/top-10-whiskies-reviewed-in-whisky-advocates-summer-issue/

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2013/02/11/the-top-ten-rated-whiskies-from-the-spring-2013-issue-of-whisky-advocate/

These may just have to make an appearance at the upcoming GBS gathering!

That Rye looks very attractive.

Picked them up last night. Plan to crack them open this evening. The "100" rye is a bit gimmicky (100% milled by Dutch Windmills???) but if it tastes good it won't matter! Aged in new American oak, presumably uncharred, which should be interesting.

post-8493-14489819309729_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-1448981930948_thumb.jpeg

These may just have to make an appearance at the upcoming GBS gathering!

Edited by smokinjoe

We hope so! We'll drink anything...

If it completely sucks, Jimmy can always use it in his pyro-show... :D

Tried them last night and I think they will avoid the pyrotechnical display! The rye was particularly interesting with a hint of sweetness, plenty of rye spice, nice mouthfeel and a surprising drinkability at 100 proof.

Added another Barry Crockett Legacy while at TPS. Looking forward to the trying the 21yo Redbreast although the price will likely be substantial I imagine. If it is less than half the Legacy that would be tolerable.

Also added 2 Laddie Bere Barley and another Glendronach 15 yo Revival since neither is readily available locally.

Finished up my tour of Islay with Ardbeg. Couldn't decide between the Uigeadail and the Corryvreckan so using the SB philosophy naturally I got both!

Picked up 2 more Greenore 15yo Irish as that one may not be around much longer either.

Finally as a pure impulse buy I picked up a Penderyn Sherrywood finish I saw at TPS to compare with the standard Penderyn Madiera cask finish I have at home.

Other than a bottle of rum on another impulse buy I think that was it from the Sampler trip!

I wondered where that other bottle of Penderyn sherrywood went. I picked up a bottle on the way to the sampler. Those 2 bottles had been sitting there for several months. I discovered it existed in January right after I visited TPS during a trip to Cincy. Glad they both went to good homes!

Thomas

I confess I haven't gotten around to opening it yet but was thinking I would bring them both to the GBS extravaganza this weekend. I can't compete with the fantastic old bourbon's and ryes that many others have so I try to bring a little change of pace in case anyone is interested!

Plain-old Ardbeg 10 year. My second bottle, and I'm thinking this might become a regular feature in my home. Makes for a good counterpoint to my other regular pour (Bulleit).

A bottle each of Balcones Texas Single Malt and Brimstone, late 2012 bottlings. The single malt is lovely stuff. I recommend any scotch lovers try a dram. Having trouble comparing it to anything. Maybe a sweeter, maltier, more viscous, Old Pulteney?

A bottle each of Balcones Texas Single Malt and Brimstone, late 2012 bottlings. The single malt is lovely stuff. I recommend any scotch lovers try a dram. Having trouble comparing it to anything. Maybe a sweeter, maltier, more viscous, Old Pulteney?

I find Old Pulteney to be on the saltier side. Can the same be said about the Balcones? I see it all the time down here, but I am having problems buying it blind. If you really do find it similar to the OP, I might be better off skipping.

Trey, is your Single Malt a hand-written ABV or printed? I've had a bottle of each, and found the printed ABV to be decidedly younger tasting. Still enjoyable, but more "overpriced curiosity" than the real exciting and complex flavors in the hand written bottle. My assumption is that there were small out-turns of the most mature malts going into the small hand-written batches, then there was a significant uptick in orders following the big international press Balcones got earlier in the year.

I find Old Pulteney to be on the saltier side. Can the same be said about the Balcones?

The Single Malt is handwritten 53%. The Brimstone is printed. Both have handwritten back labels, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 41 on a bit of a whim based on a recommendation of a scotch drinking friend. Had seen batches from 40-45 but this was the first time I had seen a 41 which was the specific recommendation. Was the only one on the shelf so home it went.

Also saw a Chieftain bottling of 17yo Caol Ila for $70. Seemed like a decent price but left it on the shelf for now.

post-8493-14489819379337_thumb.jpeg

Also saw a Cadenhead bottle of scotch but I got distracted and didn't get any details about it. A good reason to go back!

Picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 41 on a bit of a whim based on a recommendation of a scotch drinking friend. Had seen batches from 40-45 but this was the first time I had seen a 41 which was the specific recommendation. Was the only one on the shelf so home it went.

Interesting your "friend" recommended a batch that among the maltheads has received the worst reviews. Example:

http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle.jsp?bid=15853&bottling=Aberlour+'A'bunadh+Batch+#41'

Curious about your opinion on the 41. I loved it, and it led me to look more into the A'bunadh range. But people across the spectrum hated it and screamed "SULPHUR!!!"

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!