Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does it denote the batch number? Something like 12-3?

Single Malt is 12-8 (9/27/12)

Brimstone is 12-9 (10/11/12)

Interesting your "friend" recommended a batch that among the maltheads has received the worst reviews. Example:

http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle.jsp?bid=15853&bottling=Aberlour+'A'bunadh+Batch+#41'

A bit disconcerting to be sure. But having tasted other things he has recommended I would rather take my chances on his recommendation than people I don't know at all. And he also knows a bit about what I like and don't like. But it is always a bit of a risk. At worst I don't like it and give it to him!

Curious about your opinion on the 41. I loved it, and it led me to look more into the A'bunadh range. But people across the spectrum hated it and screamed "SULPHUR!!!"

Yes, he mentioned it had a bit of sulfur which kind of made it interesting as I have not had much whisky with a sulfur component. We shall see!

I got to pilfer through my local store's shelves yesterday and found two dirty old bottles with '08 price tags on them. They were buried in the bourbon section so must have been missed during some inventory shift.

Don't know anything about them but he was surprised to see them and said he didn't think you could get them any more. I'm sure they're fairly unremarkable but with 2008 pricing at ~$24 I decided to roll the dice on them. Haven't been able to find much info on them so far. Anyone know anything about them?

post-8877-14489819408921_thumb.jpg

The Ardbeg Rocket was parked out front too and the promotions team was giving away $5 discounts and t-shirts so I picked up a $64 Uigeadail for $59 since I was planning on buying at some point anyway. He was really pushing the Ardbog describing all the aging and vatting processes and flavor profiles, but I'm really not interested at this point.

Grabbed a Black Bottle too as I've been interested in finding a value priced blend I really like. Picked up some bourbons too, of course.

post-8877-14489819410035_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819409478_thumb.jpg

Posted most of this in the wrong thread.

Just back from the store where I spoke with my favorite whisky monger. While HP 12 and 15 are still on the shelf at 43% he confirmed the next batch will be quietly lowered to 40%. Decided to get the 15 to compare to the 18 I have.

JW Green still on the shelf for $56 for a 750ml and $74 for a liter while it lasts! Couldn't resist and picked up a liter as a "keepsake" (which doesn't mean I won't drink it!).

Also found a 15yo Mortlach from Gordon & Macphail supposedly finished in sherry and decided I it was a cheaper option than chasing the 22yo from K&L who can't ship to me anyway (Had been debating attending the the WhiskyFest in SF and using that as an excuse to go to the Bay area. Will have to see if I still want to do that now).

Finally while there I picked up a bottle of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm to try. Have liked what they are doing so far and figured why not.

Also still debating this one that I noted earlier but leaning towards getting it.

post-8493-14489819411913_thumb.jpg

Anybody have any experience with it?

Which one? Big Peat?

I liked it well enough from a bottle I had 2yrs ago - don't remember much about it now but kind of got lost in my push into Bourbon & Rye

Dewar's Scotch 18 Year 750ML @ 54.99

Powers John Lane 12Yr 750ML @ 63.00

Which one? Big Peat?

I liked it well enough from a bottle I had 2yrs ago - don't remember much about it now but kind of got lost in my push into Bourbon & Rye

:) Judging by what he named his jpeg I'm pretty sure he meant the Cheiftan's Caol Ila 17yr of which I have no experience, but would grab my attention too if I saw it on a shelf.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the Black Bottle.

I've had a small pour so far and I wasn't quite sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. In the $20 range it hit me as an Islay 2 or 3x as expensive. It's reminiscent of an Ardbeg. A fair amount of peat and smoke but with a sweetness that muted any of the less pleasant Islay aspects that are often in cheaper/younger bottles.

:) Judging by what he named his jpeg I'm pretty sure he meant the Cheiftan's Caol Ila 17yr of which I have no experience, but would grab my attention too if I saw it on a shelf.

Yes, the Chieftain's Caol Ila. If it is still there I will likely go get it tomorrow. Seems like the potential for a good deal for $70.

Yes, the Chieftain's Caol Ila. If it is still there I will likely go get it tomorrow. Seems like the potential for a good deal for $70.

Picked up the Chieftain's Coal Ila 17 today (along with the Goldrun Rye). They had two of the Caol Ila left so I took a chance and got them both.

post-8493-1448981941552_thumb.jpg

It is not colored and for 17yo whisky it is pretty pale. At 86 proof a little more proof would be nice but it is non-chill filtered at least. Doesn't say what barrels it saw other than they use a "wide variety" of oak, including sherry, bourbon, port and rum. Doesn't say if all 4 were used for this bottle.

post-8493-14489819415296_thumb.jpg

Had purchased the G&M Mortlach 15 and then yesterday saw a G&M Linkwood 15yo on the shelf. Talked myself out of it yesterday but this morning I talked myself back into it since it was the only one on the shelf. So it was back to the store we go.

post-8493-14489819417516_thumb.jpg

For some reason seem to have a major scotch thing going on this week. Not sure why!

I did come across a bottle of Bourye that also picked up.

Posted most of this in the wrong thread.

Just back from the store where I spoke with my favorite whisky monger. While HP 12 and 15 are still on the shelf at 43% he confirmed the next batch will be quietly lowered to 40%. Decided to get the 15 to compare to the 18 I have.

JW Green still on the shelf for $56 for a 750ml and $74 for a liter while it lasts! Couldn't resist and picked up a liter as a "keepsake" (which doesn't mean I won't drink it!).

Also found a 15yo Mortlach from Gordon & Macphail supposedly finished in sherry and decided I it was a cheaper option than chasing the 22yo from K&L who can't ship to me anyway (Had been debating attending the the WhiskyFest in SF and using that as an excuse to go to the Bay area. Will have to see if I still want to do that now).

Finally while there I picked up a bottle of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm to try. Have liked what they are doing so far and figured why not.

Also still debating this one that I noted earlier but leaning towards getting it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15981[/ATTACH]

Anybody have any experience with it?

Edited by Jono

Just out on a beer run but couldn't resist the Talisker 10 on sale for $45. I sure love the stuff and who could argue with that price?

In Ralfie's latest vlog re JW Gold he mentions that he may have been given "wrong" info from a whiskey insider regarding the JW Green line. It may not be going anywhere, but they probably benefited from a jump in sales. He went on to remind everyone that such rumors from "insiders" are not always what they appear to be.

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/2013/07/whisky-review-377-johnnie-walker-gold.html

See the 12:00 mark.

Probably one of those word of mouth cases where an insider passes along some partially accurate info but it is either wrong about

the scope or has been dropped entirely. Maybe key markets will still get it or maybe they have come up with alternate single malts

to vat etc. My local Binny's did not know anything about it but that does not mean that much other than that their supplier usually informs them ahead of time.

I guess the point is, if you like it, buy it if you see it at a decent price or just want to add it to your collection, I think if it is ever announced the product

in the pipeline is probably still pretty signficant and it would take a while to run out.

*Or, maybe an insider just needed his sales volume to increase and he knew a cheap way to do it!

*Or, maybe an insider just needed his sales volume to increase and he knew a cheap way to do it!

Companies have been known to reverse product decisions ... new coke ... cough cough ... Makers Mark ... products go, products come back ... and sometimes there are no ulterior motives - just decisions made by an influential manager that may no longer be with the company.

Found a Red Label 57.8% Macallan Cask Strength today for $55.00. Also purchased a Macallan 12 year old for $49.00, but it came with a mini of the 18 year old.

Found a Red Label 57.8% Macallan Cask Strength today for $55.00.

I'll take a case please.

The Whisky-a-gogo continues. Came upon another IB bottling, this time a 16yo Bladnoch from Gordon & Macphail. Again bottled at 43% but I was curious to try this distillery and it wasn't one I ever see. Didn't figure it would be any easier to get the Bladnoch from K&L than the Mortlach 22 so I took it home.

post-8493-14489819431947_thumb.jpeg

Then I stop in another store only to spot a similar Bladnoch distilled about the same time except that it was a year older, having been bottled about 16 months later.

post-8493-14489819432406_thumb.jpeg

Didn't see much need for both until I had at least tried the first one given they weren't exactly on the bargain side in cost.

post-8493-14489819431729_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819432172_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819432626_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489819431729_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819431947_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819432172_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819432406_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819432626_thumb.jpg

Old style bottling of Glenfarclas 10 for $18!
Nice little score and a GREAT price.

Well I couldn't go anywhere for vacation this summer, so I spent all of my travel money on some interesting stuff:

Balcone's Texas Single Malt (sorry it just doesn't fit an another category)

Glenmorangie 1971

The Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Year Old (actually 18 years old)

The Balvenie Single Barrel 25 Year Old

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!