What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a couple of pours of ECBP tonight with a good smoke. Anyone else notice the improvement after a little air time with this one, or is it just me?.?.?. a yummy mouthful of goodness graciousness!

I liked it when I first got it, now I LOOOOOOOOVE it, not sure if its me or the bottle that got better. I also have like 1oz left that I'm holding onto for dear life.

Because it tasted so good last night, I might have to go back to Blanton's later. I'm having a Buffalo Trace manhattan currently with dinner.

Lot's of great pours tonight! I love OWA, Blanton's and Red Breast. I opted for OGD114, SB Blend, AAA10 and Dickel 12. Not large pours on any.

Lot's of great pours tonight! I love OWA, Blanton's and Red Breast. I opted for OGD114, SB Blend, AAA10 and Dickel 12. Not large pours on any.

Well it sound like a home run to me! What is your SB blend ratio, if you don't mind me asking?

out of OGD 114 and low on FC103......need to resupply soon. everyone is telling me i need to try OWA 107 too.

FR gift shop OBSK. 61.47% and 12 yrs.

Clingy legs hugging the glass, huge body, viscous. Light nose, no vapor burn. Lingering on the palate.

Maybe another night with some water, but man, this is easy drinking without it!

B

Well it sound like a home run to me! What is your SB blend ratio, if you don't mind me asking?

Just 1:1...occasionally, I may opt to 60-40 one direction or the other but tonight I kept it simple. I like both by themselves, but together they are great! I just mix in the glass.

out of OGD 114 and low on FC103......need to resupply soon. everyone is telling me i need to try OWA 107 too.

Based on your stated likes, I think you will like it. OGD 114 is so solid. I hadn't tasted any for a few months. I tried a pour tonight and it is really good.

Had a couple of pours of ECBP tonight with a good smoke. Anyone else notice the improvement after a little air time with this one, or is it just me?.?.?. a yummy mouthful of goodness graciousness!

Agreed, fantastic pour and probably my favorite of the year.

Having some OWA after a taste of AE earlier courtesy of a friend.

Not to threadjack, but are the FR giftshop bottlings labeled with the year they are produced?

I want a "2013" bottle to commemorate the birth of our son/daughter, and have come to the realization the SmB and SB 2013s aren't happening.

Not to threadjack, but are the FR giftshop bottlings labeled with the year they are produced?

I want a "2013" bottle to commemorate the birth of our son/daughter, and have come to the realization the SmB and SB 2013s aren't happening.

To answer your question yes. Here is what they look like.

8ydu6aqe.jpg

I enjoyed that Big Bottom Zinfandel Finished, the time I had it. I believe it 's LDI whiskey that they used? Do you know how long in the Zinfandel barrels?

I enjoyed that Big Bottom Zinfandel Finished, the time I had it. I believe it 's LDI whiskey that they used? Do you know how long in the Zinfandel barrels?

I haven't seen that confirmed but it does seem like a logical guess. I like the fact that they are not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes as far as the NDP thing goes. I also believe he is investing in his own distilling equipment like Smooth Ambler. These are the guys you can tell care more about bourbon than raw dollars.

I didn't think it was too much of a mystery.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2011/03/anti-potemkin-big-bottom-whiskey.html

http://bigbottomwhiskey.com/american-straight-bourbon.html

Everything but the 111 proof 6yo says it uses a 36% rye mashbill. When ever a company talks about 36% rye component, especially a small NDP, I tend to think MGP. But perhaps someone else routinely makes that mashbill. Don't have a bottle to check the label.

http://www.mgpingredients.com/product-list/Bourbon-36-Rye.html

The website says the port and zinfandel get an extra 6 months of finishing.

I didn't think it was too much of a mystery.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2011/03/anti-potemkin-big-bottom-whiskey.html

http://bigbottomwhiskey.com/american-straight-bourbon.html

Everything but the 111 proof 6yo says it uses a 36% rye mashbill. When ever a company talks about 36% rye component, especially a small NDP, I tend to think MGP. But perhaps someone else routinely makes that mashbill. Don't have a bottle to check the label.

http://www.mgpingredients.com/product-list/Bourbon-36-Rye.html

The website says the port and zinfandel get an extra 6 months of finishing.

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I'm pretty sure that the bottle I tasted from had some reference to the giveaway Indiana, or specifically Lawrenceburg, IN on the back label. But, sometimes these things run together! :crazy:

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I'm pretty sure that the bottle I tasted from had some reference to the giveaway Indiana, or specifically Lawrenceburg, IN on the back label. But, sometimes these things run together! :crazy:

More importantly, how were they? Is either the port or the zin finish worth getting? I saw some info suggesting they were using 6 to 7yo bourbon prior to finishing which makes me think they might be better than the usual stuff.

Or maybe that was Hooker House pinot noir finished bourbon, which I would also like to try if I could only find it or find a way to get it from the West Coast!

More importantly, how were they? Is either the port or the zin finish worth getting? I saw some info suggesting they were using 6 to 7yo bourbon prior to finishing which makes me think they might be better than the usual stuff.

Or maybe that was Hooker House pinot noir finished bourbon, which I would also like to try if I could only find it or find a way to get it from the West Coast!

Dangit! Now, don't I feel stupid...er...? :crazy:

I think this whole time I was actually talking about the Hooker House...egads...Told ya they run together....:rolleyes: OK, I think I remember that the bottle I had came from somebody West of the Mississippi River!!!! Who's on first, again...?

Come to think of it, it could have been a finished rye...:lol:

Sampled through some gems last night with a couple other SBers: Binnys FR OBSQ, FR OBSV 17 yr Gift Shop, WT8 and WT12 split label. Those Turkeys are delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had not read the back label. It does indeed say it is distilled in Indiana.

The Zin finished is really nice. I like a variety of bourbon's and this one certainly has a place on my bar. I also like the AE Port Barrel Finished though and most others have not been too fond of it.

Dangit! Now, don't I feel stupid...er...? :crazy:

I think this whole time I was actually talking about the Hooker House...egads...Told ya they run together....:rolleyes: OK, I think I remember that the bottle I had came from somebody West of the Mississippi River!!!! Who's on first, again...?

Come to think of it, it could have been a finished rye...:lol:

They do run together, don't they? I do recall you mentioning you had gotten a chance to try the Hooker House (bourbon?) from a bottle that Casey, formerly of Mac McGee's, had brought back from the Left Coast.

Don't recall you mentioning Big Bottom before (at least not in the context of whiskey...) but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't tried it at some time in the murky bourbon haze filled past! :rolleyes:

Sampled through some gems last night with a couple other SBers: Binnys FR OBSQ, FR OBSV 17 yr Gift Shop, WT8 and WT12 split label. Those Turkeys are delicious.

Sounds like a good night. My 4RSBLE took a beating last night.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!