What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I rarely drink beer now due to my bourbon problem, but I'm enjoying an ice cold Peroni on this beautiful SoCal afternoon.

Went to dinner last night with friends and then sampled a few items in all spectrums,FFF'sZD,Alesmith's Speedway Stout and the last of my Double Trouble.

Yuengling is a Porter that is cold-fermented as in N. Germany and Baltic countries. Tried some, very interesting. My favorite right now is Deschuttes Black Butte Porter.

Not a knockout by any means but Ebel's Weiss makes for a pretty good summertime pour,light fruity,sweet and loads of underlying banana in the mix.I would recommend this while tending the grill,because they go down oh so easy,maybe a bit too easy.:grin:

Zombie Dust, Hopslam, and my last Lagunitas Undercover. :(
I construe this as an under the radar hint.:rolleyes:

I'm drinking a Founder's Rubaeus. Interesting! A deep red raspberry color, a powerful raspberry nose, but it might be too sweet.

Lately I've been drinking high end IPAs with nearly 100 IBU which may have influenced my initial judgment. This has only 15 IBU. I typically drink my beer at about 50⁰ F perhaps near 34⁰ F it may shine. Time to experiment.

I construe this as an under the radar hint.:rolleyes:

I wouldnt do such a thing, honestly.

I'll just straight up tell ya when I want some more!

Working on a growler of Oz pale ale by Duclaw brewing after a Pizza Boy brown ale with dinner.

If you are ever in the Harrisburg PA area, look up Pizza Boy brewing/Al's of Hampden. A visit there is a must.

Very much enjoying the remains of a growler of Triton's O'Rye-N Galaxy Pale Ale from last night's beer & burgers party. Love those Triton pale ales!

Heavy Seas 2012 Below Decks Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine. A bit syrupy but not bad. A bit sweeter than expected even for a malty barleywine style given it was a US maker. The barrel aging may have contributed some of the thickness but there didn't seem to be much bourbon influence except a bit on the nose. Drank it only slightly chilled which is my preference with this style. If it is really cold I think it looses something.

Alesmith's Speedway Stout

My in-laws brought me one of these over the holidays and I drank it along with Christmas dinner. I thought it was amazing.

My buddy and I had a few sessions this weekend while our wives played with their kid. From what I recall I had some:

Harpoon Leviathan

Stone 10/10/10 (brewed with white wine grapes, very interesting and refreshing)

Lagunitas Brown Shugga (absoultey love this one, maybe my favorite brown ale)

Avery Ellie's Brown Ale (this was very good as well)

Avery Joe's American Pilsner (a little "small" for my preference but well crafted)

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Sixpoint Sweet Action (this really surprised me. The kind of beer I want to take to the golf course)

And capped it with some Four Roses SmB and banana bread with chocolate chips.

Sounds like a good weekend!

Don't they make a few different Leviathans? I haven't had it in a while so I'm not sure about that. I do know the ones I've had where the blue label. Good stuff.

St. Arnolds here in Houston makes a pretty good brown ale. It's a little too sweet to drink very much of though. Do you get that out there?

I've been mostly drinking sours recently since they're mighty refreshing in the heat. I've also been digging MadTree's Gnarly Brown - it's a big (7%ish) brown ale from a local brewery that is canning. The place is less than 10 minutes from my house and the Gnarly Brown is the best beer being produced in Cincinnati right now IMHO. Their PsycHOPathy is also being canned and is available at the ballpark, which is great.

Anyone else had any beers from these guys?

A couple of cold bottles of Founders Centennial IPA for the drive home with the car AC on super high.

Sounds like a good weekend!

Don't they make a few different Leviathans? I haven't had it in a while so I'm not sure about that. I do know the ones I've had where the blue label. Good stuff.

St. Arnolds here in Houston makes a pretty good brown ale. It's a little too sweet to drink very much of though. Do you get that out there?

They make at least three, the blue (Imperial), red (red ale?), and the purple (quad). Had the quad once and it was amazing. I get a few blues each month.

Tonight I enjoyed a Hoppin Frog barrel aged Boris the Crusher oatmeal Russian imperial stout. The length of that name is ridiculous.

21A Hop Crisis. Haven't had one of these in awhile and it's just super enjoyable.

New Holland Dragons Milk. A good bourbon strong ale but not a favorite.

Bo and Luke from Against the Grain in Louisville is being bottled. Hoping to get ahold of a couple of cases. A fantastic smoked stout aged in pvw barrels. It was originally a colab with de molen. 14% abv.

This is what happens when the wife heads to Ikea and I head somewhere else...

3x Founders Double Trouble

2x Flying Dog Double Dog

Flying Dog Horn Dog

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Sixpoint Resin Imperial IPA

22oz.

2x Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout (obviously)

2x Stone Double Bastard Ale

2x Stone Ruin Ten

2x Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit

2X Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow

Three Floyds Blackheart UK IPA

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Red Ale

Avery Maharaja IPA

Heavy Seas The Big DIPA

Stone Russian Imperial Stout

2x Southern Tier Choklat Stout

2x Hoppin' Frog BORIS the Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout

and a mixed six of Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale, Avery Old Jubilation Ale, Rail Splitter IPA, Old Brown Dog Ale, Founders Porter, and Mad River Double Dread.

post-9014-14489819347543_thumb.jpg

Awesome, Double Dog was one of my favorite DIPAs until a few years ago when they stopped distribution to TX. Is the quality the same as a few years ago (or better?)

I contacted the brewery and asked if I could order some DD and they just sent me a free t-shrirt which I happen to be wearing. :cool:

Apparently I drank all of the Double Dog in WV by the end of January and haven't seen it anywhere since. This was a trip about 2 hours into KY and then north to Ohio, which is where I found the DD. A little overpriced (I'm used to paying 11.49, these were 14.99) but as long as it's as good as it was 6 months ago it's worth every penny.

Yeah, it has a great malt "backbone" to balance out the hops. I think it was about $11 around here.

...and it can handle being stored in the fridge for long periods if you need to go stock up.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!