What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rain has washed out all of the scheduled fireworks tonight, except the various neighbors private shows. Good enough for me, while enjoying their efforts with a creamy and delicious Founder's Dirty Bastard.

A little side trip to Belgium for the Fourth last night. Cantillon Kriek and Rose de Gambrinus, Drei Fontenein Oude Kriek and Lindemans Framboise.

The cherry lambics aren't my favorite but both of these had enough tartness to make them enjoyable. The Drei Fontenein was the more tart of the two. It is available locally on occasion where the Cantillon is not. Lindemans Kriek, the most commercial and readily available of the lambics locally (and which uses fruit syrup instead of fresh fruit like the other two), is so sweet it tastes like bad cough syrup.

The Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus was my favorite. After about a year on the shelf the raspberries have given way to tartness and the moderate barnyard funky-ness that makes it so interesting. The Lindemans Framboise is much sweeter than the Cantillon but pleasantly so without seeming as artificial as the Kriek version I have had in the past.

Had hoped to get the Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise when I visited the distillery last year but had no luck. Not much Cantillon left from that trip.

post-8493-14489819369035_thumb.jpg

A Firestone Walker Union Jack, bottled on 5/22. I like brewers that date their bottles because the Utah DABC has been known to let things sit around for far too long.

I tried Black Crown on the 4th. It is pretty good, but not great.

Tim

Founders Rübæus last night. The raspberry replacement for the cherry Cerise that wasn't available due to the failed Michigan cherry crop. Not quite Blushing Monk quality but quite pleasant and pretty available at the moment.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Some regular Anchor over the holiday, seem to always overlook this one.

Having a Utah Pale Ale at Desert Edge Brewery. Good beer. I don't make it here a lot and they don't bottle so I don't drink many of their beers... I'll have to make a point to come back sooner rather than later.

Kicking off tonight with the last bottle of a Stone Ruination 4-pack. Will probably move onto West Sixth IPA next.

Has been unbelievably hot and humid up here the past few days - very unusual for this next of the woods. Can't drink heavier than Pacifico, but a really nice thirst quencher.

post-9757-14489819371708_thumb.jpg

Not drinking but admiring the love used in bottling this. Coming very soon to retailers that support ATG. 20 cases in the entire state for the first release. We are getting one case, one bottle limit and no reservations!

post-9757-14489819371708_thumb.jpg

Hell yeah! Picking mine up next Friday. There are some reservations. :P

But for now drinking a Prairie Standard. Very nice lil hoppy farmhouse ale.

Hell yeah! Picking mine up next Friday. There are some reservations. :P

But for now drinking a Prairie Standard. Very nice lil hoppy farmhouse ale.

If you can find prairie hop, get it. Amazing and tough to come by. Had one on tap at holy grale last night. Also had a pannepot reserva 2005 that was amazing.

Will def keep an eye out. Have liked all of their stuff I've tried.

Switched it up and am having a Stone Old Guardian Oak-Smoked Barley Wine. Powerful stuff.

Founders Rübæus last night. The raspberry replacement for the cherry Cerise that wasn't available due to the failed Michigan cherry crop. Not quite Blushing Monk quality but quite pleasant and pretty available at the moment.
I filled my growler with Rubaeus at Founder's on Wednesday and I am finishing it off tonight. I really enjoyed it but I won't need any more of it any time soon.

Will def keep an eye out. Have liked all of their stuff I've tried.

Switched it up and am having a Stone Old Guardian Oak-Smoked Barley Wine. Powerful stuff.

Hop might be tough to find. To has been unavailable to ky for a few months. All the prArie ales are solid.

I filled my growler with Rubaeus at Founder's on Wednesday and I am finishing it off tonight. I really enjoyed it but I won't need any more of it any time soon.

No doubt fresher in a growler but the bottles allow me to spread the pleasure out a bit so it doesn't overwhelm me in a short period!

Ran my usual gamut of awesome pale ales last night: Ballast Point Sculpin, Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA and FFF Zombie Dust. Plus a New Glarus Moon Man, which just isn't quite in their league. Gonna have to head over to Munster to refill on the ZD soon....

Question: do any of you know of any beers brewed with Rainier Cherries?

Going through a few beers that the wife and I cellared a time long, long ago, before I had experienced bourbon or scotch.

Last week it was a Dogfish Head Immort Ale from 2009. I've loved this label for over 10 years; it's truly an oddball, introduced well before breweries released their crazier ideas (at least outside of their on-site brewpubs). This one has peat-dried malt in the recipe, lending a distinct smokiness, which doesn't dominate because the profile also includes some woodiness, dark berries and bourbon barrel notes, all strong in their own right. The beer typically isn't very good when it's fresh - it's a bit astringent and the flavors don't blend too well - so I just let them sit for a while. I think this one sat for too long. The peat was muted, the malty berry notes were a bit flat, and some of the more subtle flavors that I remember, like orange bitters, were gone.

Last night it was Weyerbacher XIII from 2008. This one is an old ale, or a Belgian dark ale, or something like that. It was nearly 14% ABV and very malty, so you get the picture. I got a lot of raisins and berries along with the sweet dark malt. This one was no standout, I'm afraid, partly due to its sort of generic flavor profile, and also perhaps a bit of a stale cardboard note. Basically, your dark, thick malt monster. I think that it had more of a tripel note (indicating the use of candy sugar) when fresh.

Despite what Mrs. bad_scientist might say to make me feel better, not everything is better with age!

Some regular Anchor over the holiday, seem to always overlook this one.

Going through a few beers that the wife and I cellared a time long, long ago, before I had experienced bourbon or scotch.

Last week it was a Dogfish Head Immort Ale from 2009. I've loved this label for over 10 years; it's truly an oddball, introduced well before breweries released their crazier ideas (at least outside of their on-site brewpubs). This one has peat-dried malt in the recipe, lending a distinct smokiness, which doesn't dominate because the profile also includes some woodiness, dark berries and bourbon barrel notes, all strong in their own right. The beer typically isn't very good when it's fresh - it's a bit astringent and the flavors don't blend too well - so I just let them sit for a while. I think this one sat for too long. The peat was muted, the malty berry notes were a bit flat, and some of the more subtle flavors that I remember, like orange bitters, were gone.

Now you tell me! Just had a "fresh" Dogfish Head Immort Ale (At least I presume it is fresh, just bought it but no idea how long it has been on the shelf). I didn't think it was bad but I could see where it might balance out a bit with time. In fact I put a splash of old Chambord that had oxidized into an interesting chocolatey flavor with just a hint of raspberry in the last third of it and thought that improved the beer a bit.

I will sit on the rest of what I have for awhile and see how it does!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!