What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a Goose Island 312 at dinner tonight. Picken were a bit slim at the restaraunt we visited. Lots of rums/vodkas, but no bourbon at all and not a great beer selection.

Wheat beers are generally my least favorite thing in the world, but I enjoy the Oberon. Still lags behind the FFF Gumballhead, which i love, but as a rule you can keep them.

Tonight it's a Prairie Somewhere Sour Farmhouse Ale. Very tasty.

Lagunita's Censored,this really doesn't have anything that really stands out and smacks you in the face,just well balanced!I,just Oh so love it for some reason anyway not to heavy and not to light,just really fits the bill in this warmer summer season.

Had my first Trappist Westvleteren 12 tonight. Probably the last too, but it was very good. This one concluded my Belgian sampling over the last few days. They would rank (after Westvleteren 12) as follows:

- St. Bernardus Abt. 12

- Trappist Rochefort 10

- Trappist Rochefort 8

- Witkap Pater Tripel

Now you tell me! Just had a "fresh" Dogfish Head Immort Ale (At least I presume it is fresh, just bought it but no idea how long it has been on the shelf). I didn't think it was bad but I could see where it might balance out a bit with time. In fact I put a splash of old Chambord that had oxidized into an interesting chocolatey flavor with just a hint of raspberry in the last third of it and thought that improved the beer a bit. I will sit on the rest of what I have for awhile and see how it does!
Heh, well at least you're not curious about it anymore, and that's something! I've bought so many whiskies over the years because I was just too curious. Even when they sucked, I felt like it was worth it because I was able to sleep better at night, at least until the next obsession... Anyway, the bottling date should be printed on the front of the bottle, so you can gauge how fresh it was. They used to print the exact date, but now I think it's just a year, and sometimes the season. I think they bottled this year's batch in the spring. I would recommend trying it after a year. 4 years was way too long, and that was fridge aging, not even proper cellar aging.

Giant beers last night while entertaining a few friends. 3F's Rabbid Rabbit, Blackheart, and Apocolypse Cow. Took a brief break for a an after dinner AE Rye, then hit a Double Dog.

Heh, well at least you're not curious about it anymore, and that's something! I've bought so many whiskies over the years because I was just too curious. Even when they sucked, I felt like it was worth it because I was able to sleep better at night, at least until the next obsession... Anyway, the bottling date should be printed on the front of the bottle, so you can gauge how fresh it was. They used to print the exact date, but now I think it's just a year, and sometimes the season. I think they bottled this year's batch in the spring. I would recommend trying it after a year. 4 years was way too long, and that was fridge aging, not even proper cellar aging.

Yeah, these bottles have the "Bottled in" printed on them but no date! However I am pretty sure they are this year.

I also picked up and tried Burton Baton which I rather liked. Already a bit smoother from the blend of old ale in the IPA. Not sure if it will age as well.

Any opinion on putting some age on DFH Midas Touch? I like that one as well but came across a few that had been sitting in the cellar for about a year that I had forgotten about. So I suppose I am going to find out how they do after a year whether or not it is a good idea...

I also picked up and tried Burton Baton which I rather liked. Already a bit smoother from the blend of old ale in the IPA. Not sure if it will age as well. Any opinion on putting some age on DFH Midas Touch? I like that one as well but came across a few that had been sitting in the cellar for about a year that I had forgotten about. So I suppose I am going to find out how they do after a year whether or not it is a good idea...
I love Burton Baton! The weird thing is, I haven't found that it changes much after aging. I got an aged bottle as a gift a couple of years ago, and I'll be darned, it had just as much of a bite as the fresh bottles do. That goes against the collective wisdom of the beer lover community, I know, because hops are supposed to vanish pretty quickly. Don't know about the Midas Touch. Please let us know! This isn't related, but my senior year roommate in college worked with DFH on the marketing campaign for Midas Touch, as part of his senior thesis project.

I love Burton Baton! The weird thing is, I haven't found that it changes much after aging. I got an aged bottle as a gift a couple of years ago, and I'll be darned, it had just as much of a bite as the fresh bottles do. That goes against the collective wisdom of the beer lover community, I know, because hops are supposed to vanish pretty quickly. Don't know about the Midas Touch. Please let us know! This isn't related, but my senior year roommate in college worked with DFH on the marketing campaign for Midas Touch, as part of his senior thesis project.

Will do. May go looking for a fresh Midas Touch to serve as a comparison, if there is any around.

Really want to crack open the Noble Rot as well but it is a bomber and so it may have to wait for the weekend.

Deschutes Summer Ale last night and Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale on deck for tonight, along with a few strays in the beer fridge (Anchor Summer, Anchor Liberty, etc.).

Hanging at West 6th having a couple of Black IPAs. Super nice.

Had Oskar Blues Oskar the G'Rauch tonight. It's a fantastic smoked IPA…

only available on draft. Look around for it!

Having a flight of FFF and then to switch it up a Bell's Consecrator.

Enjoying a Red Hare IPA out on the porch while grilling a nice steak.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoyed a nice Edmund Fitzgerald with a grilled pork chop,the porter and saltiness of the chop really worked well together.This is my first experience with any of the Great Lakes stuff and I'm impressed!

Enjoying an 18 month old founders Better Half. Definitely mellowed on the maple but still very candy like.

Moved onto some Little Sumpin' and had a few,just couldn't pull myself away very good stuff.

Great Lakes is awesome all around. Elliot Ness, Burning River, and Commodore Perry are favorites. That Sumpin' ale is really great as well.

Not drinking yet but picked up CBC Sgt. Pepper, Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast, Westbrook/Evil Twin/Local Option Plastic Man, Prairie Gold, and a few AtG Bo and Lukes.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!