Old Forester Birthday 2013

P&MLiquorsEric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Early opinions of customers are that it is good to very good. I'm waiting until my allergies subside before cracking open a bottle.

I still have not seen this around Atlanta yet. Has anyone else?

Haven't seen it in my regular shops yet.

Haven't seen it in my regular shops yet.

Nor have I as of yesterday (Although some of them may be the same shops...). May look again tomorrow!

We opened a bottle at the store. Amazing in one word.

The nose is unreal. Pvw23 quality nose.

This mans opinion is that we have a finalist for bourbon of the year on our hands.

Not sure this one will last until bourbon festival here in ky.

This mans opinion is that we have a finalist for bourbon of the year on our hands.

Not sure this one will last until bourbon festival here in ky.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16527&d=1377989706

Still not sure I believe all the good reviews on this so far. Everything is getting hyped now and I've never thought Birthday Bourbon

was all that great in past years.

post-8576-14489819730597_thumb.jpg

Still not sure I believe all the good reviews on this so far. Everything is getting hyped now and I've never thought Birthday Bourbon

It does seem like every limited release now is hyped to no end. I've had the '05 and '08 OFBB. The '05 was very good with lots of butterscotch that reminded me of ND OGD. The '08 is still almost full...not bad but not really special. I still wouldn't mind getting a bottle this year though.

Quite an accolade there Phil, very tempting.

I've never been a huge fan but after receiving a sample of the '13 I've thrown my inhibitions to the side....I'm a buyer for sure on this release.I will add that the '09 is one of the worst bourbons I've ever had so this years release had some serious hurdles to overcome to erase those not so fond memories.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16527&d=1377989706

Have you tried the 2013? Until then, wait until you get a chance before casting judgement. OFBday is different every year. Some average and others stellar. This is a stellar year for it.

I don't think it is the bourbon of the year but I think it deserves an invitation to the show.

I've never been a huge fan but after receiving a sample of the '13 I've thrown my inhibitions to the side....I'm a buyer for sure on this release.I will add that the '09 is one of the worst bourbons I've ever had so this years release had some serious hurdles to overcome to erase those not so fond memories.

Have tried a few small pours and will need to visit further before reaching a final conlcusion.

ROTT: pleasant and unchallenging; with some interesting stone fruit notes at mid-palate.

BOTY candidate? :slappin:You've got to be kidding. Not even in the running.

I've heard this year's has lot's of butterscotch. If that is true then it should be very similar to the 2005. Have any of you had both?

Have tried a few small pours and will need to visit further before reaching a final conlcusion.

ROTT: pleasant and unchallenging; with some interesting stone fruit notes at mid-palate.

BOTY candidate? :slappin:You've got to be kidding. Not even in the running.

One mans opinion. It's not big and barrel proof nor does it carry the van winkle or btac prestige but its an easy drinker with one of the best noses on a bourbon period.

Agree that it's an easy drinker and has a great (Cyrano de Bergerac-esque) nose. Proof, and pettigree are fine. Just don't think, IMHO, that it's in the class of FR SBLE 2013, EC12 BS, EC21 SB (and, perhaps, the upcoming FR 2013 SmB LE).

You are absolutely right that opinions vary.... viva la differance and YMMV! :grin:

got into this last night for the first time.

wow. exceptional nose as noted, i tasted this with a bunch of other things and kept coming back to it. There's an acidity, somewhere along the lines of the "copper" note that some people get from woodford, that just does it for me. The near tartness has a character that reminds me of some Gewurztraminers. Loved this thing through and through.

But in what is for me typical Brown-Foreman fashion, woke up with a lovely headache this morning that continues (currently: 9:07pm).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.