Old Forester Birthday 2013

P&MLiquorsEric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sad, apparently Heaven Hill sent all the bourbon up to NorCal.. SoCal may not be getting any...

This just hit the shelves of PA. Picked up 2 for myself. I thought this only goes on sale online the year after. Did PA put this on the shelf before? Anyway, can't wait to open this up. I'll keep you guys posted.

I assume it did not sell out online fast enough and they decided to put it in stores. The 2012 was listed online off and on for the last year, I assume that one did not sell fast either.

Haha yes, thanks.. clearly brain not functioning.

Just trying to help. I'd hate to see you go around telling everyone that OFBB is the best Heaven Hill bourbon you've ever had!

Edited by smknjoe

My local Bevmo has a couple of bottles in stock but the price is quite high, ~$64 after tax. Is the bourbon that good that I should pony up for one?

My local Bevmo has a couple of bottles in stock but the price is quite high, ~$64 after tax. Is the bourbon that good that I should pony up for one?

That's why I haven't gotten one yet either.

I just opened my bottle and I think it is great. I prefer the 2012 release more. This release was a bit too tannin heavy for my tastes.

One thing people should note is that if you don't like Old Fo 86, Old Fo 100 or even Woodford Reserve, you are not going to like this one. I have reviewed my notes of all of these and past releases and they are so similar that it really begs the question that if you are just getting the 2013 because people are going apeshit for it after some blog reviews - your going to have a bad time. Look for some Old Fo 100 at more than half the price and call it a day. It won't be as good as the Birthday, but it is so close it really isn't worth the extra jump in price.

I personally love the Birthday Bourbon's. Its my favorite limited release. However, I also love Old Fo 100 as my go-to. And Old Fo 86 is nice and sweet. The jump in price in the BB is worth it to me only because I can get something a little more robust than what I usually like to drink.

I found my first bottles of this in my area today and picked a pair up. I was not a big fan of the 2012 as it had a little bit of a medicinal or mineral component that I didn't care for. This one though, is one word from me: Wow! As others have mentioned a fantastic nose although I am getting over a head cold so I won't attempt to do it justice. The sip is great with maybe still the faintest hint of that medicinal/mineral trace. I immediately get Bananas Foster and maybe just a little bit of grilled pineapple (caramelized) in the background. To me the grilled pineapple comes out in the finish with some very nice toasty char to accompany it. I know this one is a bit expensive for the line (and doubly so here in Washington) but I have to say it is great. Not bourbon of the year as to me that is the 2013 FR SmB LE but I think it could challenge the ECBP for second place.

Finally had a chance to try this here (I have an unopened bottle at home) at a bar, and loved it. Incredibly smooth with zero heat. Pure sweetness. Really really good.

Is the OFBB all from one batch or multiples dumps? Any idea how many bottles for this release?
I'm pulling this number from my nether-regions but seeing how it compares to other special releases with regard to distribution I'd say the number is around 10,000. It's also one batch per year.

I just came across some info on the internet. It appears that Yeti's 10,000 bottle estimate was pretty close. This article puts the total number of OFBB 2013 bottles at 11,400 (1,900 cases x 6 bottles/case).

http://gobourbon.com/bourbons-of-the-fall-part-2/

Now have two in the bunker and one open on the bar. Paid $49.99 but I like it so much would still be worth it @ $69.99.

Now have two in the bunker and one open on the bar. Paid $49.99 but I like it so much would still be worth it @ $69.99.

That's about my price here... Might be enough to tip me over into taking the plunge

I found OF Birthday at store here in Ohio last night for $45.10. I figured that price was pretty good from what I read here, and thought it was something you won't see in Ohio too often. I picked one bottle up, but haven't had time to sample pour yet.

You guys are making me think this may be worth the $60+ I'd have to pay here for a bottle... ugh, if only the wife wouldn't kill me for buying another bottle of whiskey. Likely by the time I convince myself I should get one they will be gone so I might as well pick one up now... ;)

I am in Cleveland Monday. Could you share the store?

I found OF Birthday at store here in Ohio last night for $45.10. I figured that price was pretty good from what I read here, and thought it was something you won't see in Ohio too often. I picked one bottle up, but haven't had time to sample pour yet.

Just picked up a bottle at the state store in Lancaster for $50. Like last year's rendition, it's pretty dang good. Well worth the money spent! I like to always have a few nice bottles on hand for celebrations and special occasions. This will be one of them.

Going to be doing some work traveling after all, looks like I'm going to be checking out some stores, maybe I can find this bday bourbon for a little less.

If you are in the DFW area, I know of a few bottles for sale at $31.99. I would be happy to point you in the right direction

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.