Old Forester Birthday 2013

P&MLiquorsEric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have two stores I frequent every other week. Yesterday to my delight one recieved their 6 bottle allotment and I picked one up for $44.99. SKU's review kept me from bunkering any but if this weekends tasting meets up with most of y'alls I'll go back for more.

If I didn't enjoy the 2010, is there a good chance I won't like this 2013 either? I'll have to revisit the 2010 tonight to remind myself why I didn't enjoy it.

Well, I had a pour of this 2010 last night. It tasted much better than 4 prior tastings. This has been opened maybe 6 months now. So, I guess I'll be picking up a bottle of the 2013 off I see it.

The '13 OFBB is a nice pour a bit of a short finish with just a touch of bitterness right at the end. Really pretty well structured and for me the nose alone is almost worth the price of admission.

Returning tonight, to this bottle for some contemplative sipping after the bourbon blitzkrieg that was KBF. Oh my, am I impressed. If you like fruit, you will love this whiskey. I'm getting everything from a light citrusy orange on first whiff, to a load of sweet red grape, dark fruits, and strawberry Twizzlers thrown in. Nice oak presence ties it all together. I'll say, that at this point, it's my favorite of what has been some stellar releases of late, with this, ECBP, Stagg Jr., and EC 21. I'm going to keep the 2013 4R SmB LE out of the competition at this point; however, as it may not be a fair fight...:D

Had my first pour of this last night. Wow! Just wow!

Rushed back to store today, picked up one for the bunker and left the one for the next SB'er to come along.

My first bottle of this is about half empty and really opening up with some air. Still very happy with it as it has the same "dark and smokey" profile i liked when sampling the first pour.

What the f*ck if OFBB doing in the "Premium Bourbon" section? Really, has anyone actually tried any year of this Frown-Boreman release and thought "f*ck, now that's premium $#!t?! Anyway, just one cynics opinion on this "Bourbon of the Year" candidate.

*Edit - I think Frown-Boreman should cut the bottle size to 375ml, then consumers would not be forced to drink an entire bottle and write justifications because they paid $50 for it.

**Edit 2 - Who wants to start a thread for Wild Turkey 81 in the premium section?

Edited by LostBottle

What the f*ck if OFBB doing in the "Premium Bourbon" section? Really, has anyone actually tried any year of this Frown-Boreman acetone and thought "f*ck, now that's premium $#!t?! Anyway, just one cynics opinion on this "Bourbon of the Year" candidate.

*Edit - I think Frown Boreman should cut the bottle size to 375ml, then consumers would not be forced to drink an entire bottle and write justifications because they paid $50 for it.

Well LB, I have always considered OFBB a Premium offering, and I do this year, as well. Want to tell me more about me?

Well LB, I have always considered OFBB a Premium offering, and I do this year, as well. Want to tell me more about me?

Again, just my own (harsh) opinion. If you were a fan (or not) of that review, you should see me get fired up about Woodford (aka liquid pennies). :toast:

Again, just my own (harsh) opinion. If you were a fan (or not) of that review, you should see me get fired up about Woodford (aka liquid pennies). :toast:

Having some at the Gazebo - I thought the nose was magical. Really deep and just enjoyable, but found the palate to be stubborn and bitter. Rather difficult. I still put one away for two $20s. I figure the worst case scenario is that I spend some time nosing glasses my friends drink.

What the f*ck if OFBB doing in the "Premium Bourbon" section? Really, has anyone actually tried any year of this Frown-Boreman release and thought "f*ck, now that's premium $#!t?! Anyway, just one cynics opinion on this "Bourbon of the Year" candidate.

*Edit - I think Frown-Boreman should cut the bottle size to 375ml, then consumers would not be forced to drink an entire bottle and write justifications because they paid $50 for it.

**Edit 2 - Who wants to start a thread for Wild Turkey 81 in the premium section?

Differences in opinion are what makes a forum like this helpful, though there is certainly a more elegant way of phrasing those differences. I think I'm the only one here who enjoys Forgiven, but, rather than defend it with vulgarities, I offer up my defense, then move on. To your point, though, the OFBB's scarcity and price point--not to mention quality--are what drives this offering into the premium category.

I'm pulling this number from my nether-regions but seeing how it compares to other special releases with regard to distribution I'd say the number is around 10,000. It's also one batch per year.

I'm pulling this number from my nether-regions but seeing how it compares to other special releases with regard to distribution I'd say the number is around 10,000. It's also one batch per year.

It is funny that none of their press releases or interviews seem to mention a number. Increase the appeal perhaps?

Well I certaintly know how many bottles they released but in a 3 county area that I live in only one dealer got 6, so in my world that equates to "speciality Bourbon"

I managed to find and buy a bottle online - yippee! However I was surprised to learn it's 98 proof, not 97 proof as shown in the photo in post #5. I checked the COLA and that reads 98 proof - copacetic. So, from where did that photo arise?

[i won't be reviewing this any time soon as my bottle resides in California.]

Edited by MauiSon

Grabbed another of this today. This would be a everyday bourbon for me if the price and availability wasn't what it is.

Best one of the last couple of years IMHO.

B

Best one of the last couple of years IMHO.

B

By a long shot,every time I pour this I just can't get over the nose.I honestly spend more time nosing this than drinking it,but you really can't go wrong either way!:toast:

This just hit the shelves of PA. Picked up 2 for myself. I thought this only goes on sale online the year after. Did PA put this on the shelf before? Anyway, can't wait to open this up. I'll keep you guys posted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.