Old Forester Birthday 2013

P&MLiquorsEric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You guys are lucky. State-mandated Oregon price is 59.99. I love this bourbon, but will pass on it at that price.

I literally had it shipped here from Kentucky from the Bourbon Exchange for less than that :bowdown:

From what I've heard you pay a premium at BX. Post in the help a member thread where they will treat you right (or not at all. ;)) It's about $36 around here.

Finally got this in VA. The nose on it is incredible, which might be to its detriment as I'm not sure the bourbon lives up to it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great (read: GREAT) pour, but the finish was a bit flat and short. Done in by it's own incredible aroma. I'll be enjoying this for awhile though.

I literally had it shipped here from Kentucky from the Bourbon Exchange for less than that :bowdown:

I got banned from there last week. Apparently calling out people for essentially running a personal business is frowned upon there!

• 3 weeks later...

Back at this bottle tonight after several weeks away. It still Wows me. The big, sweet, dark fruit on the front is as decadent as it was when I first was trying it. The oak works wonderfully, starting subtly and building throughout the ending. This is a superb whiskey.

I got banned from there last week. Apparently calling out people for essentially running a personal business is frowned upon there!

I guess the truth hurts.

I bought one of these today and must say that I'm very impressed. I actually think the taste lives up to the nose. I've passed over the 2011 and 2012 in the recent months but the overall good reviews of this one made me take a shot at it (no pun intended).

I bought one of these today and must say that I'm very impressed. I actually think the taste lives up to the nose. I've passed over the 2011 and 2012 in the recent months but the overall good reviews of this one made me take a shot at it (no pun intended).

I love both the OFBB12 and OFBB13, equally, but for different reasons. The OFBB13, as you stated, has a wonderful nose, and is just as brilliant on the palate. The OFBB12, on the other hand, hits all the right notes for me as a spectacular dessert bourbon; I love ending the night with OFBB12.

I love both the OFBB12 and OFBB13, equally, but for different reasons. The OFBB13, as you stated, has a wonderful nose, and is just as brilliant on the palate. The OFBB12, on the other hand, hits all the right notes for me as a spectacular dessert bourbon; I love ending the night with OFBB12.
If you are daring enough to vat the two you will be pleasantly surprised as the nose fades just a bit and the slight bitterness in the finish of the '13 is all but absorbed,it's a great trade off honestly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got enough (one of each in the bunker) where I'm comfortable with using some from my open bottles to try the vatting. Do you recommend a 1:1 ratio?

Finally found the 13 two weeks ago, and cracked it last night. Haven't done a head to head comparison yet, but out of the gate I think this is one of the better releases in the last couple years. I had bought an extra bottle for friend who turned out to already have some, and now I'm glad I did.

I had another pour of the 2013 last evening, and still think it is terrific. Considering I have virtually no shot at all things BTAC and Pappy, I am glad I have a couple more of these in the bunker.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got enough (one of each in the bunker) where I'm comfortable with using some from my open bottles to try the vatting. Do you recommend a 1:1 ratio?

Yes, I did a 1:1 in a disgaurded 200ml and was pretty happy with the outcome.

Yes, I did a 1:1 in a disgaurded 200ml and was pretty happy with the outcome.

Thanks! I'll give it a go this weekend.

• 2 months later...
Placed a few orders at different retailers and they all come back "Out Of Stock".

My local store owner has been trying to get a bottle of this for me as well and also has turned up nothing.

I bought the first three bottles I came across in NJ, and never saw another bottle on a shelf--anywhere. Unprecedented for the BB.

I'm a fan of this one. Never had any of the other years. Grabbed it for $55 maybe. Wish I would've grabbed one more.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to try this at a local pub. I've been looking for a bottle for several months based on word of mouth but no luck. I now see where the praise comes from. I found it to be very thick and luscious with sweet cotton candy/caramel initially and a pleasant warmth finishing long and almost buttery. Very decadent to me, almost like a dessert pour. (Not that great at using typical descriptors, sorry).

Here was the best and worst part for me: my wife, whom I thought to despise all things bourbon, thought it was fantastic and ordered herself one! Understand, it has taken me 5 years to get her solidly into craft beer (having to start with Coors light), so I thought bourbon was going to be an impossibility as all she usually tastes is the heat/alcohol. Needless to say, I was very proud of her as well as finding myself in shock and awe.

The good: she loved the bourbon and when I find something she loves, I usually enjoy the rest of the evening :grin:

The bad: I can't find any anywhere and pub/bar prices will break me after too long (and I really like enjoying my evenings)

Anybody know of anyplace in CO where I might have a fighting chance of still finding this in the wild (I've scoured what I would think are the usual suspects in Denver and quite a few old bars-in-the-window type places)?

Finally got to try this at a local pub. I've been looking for a bottle for several months based on word of mouth but no luck. I now see where the praise comes from. I found it to be very thick and luscious with sweet cotton candy/caramel initially and a pleasant warmth finishing long and almost buttery. Very decadent to me, almost like a dessert pour. (Not that great at using typical descriptors, sorry).

Here was the best and worst part for me: my wife, whom I thought to despise all things bourbon, thought it was fantastic and ordered herself one! Understand, it has taken me 5 years to get her solidly into craft beer (having to start with Coors light), so I thought bourbon was going to be an impossibility as all she usually tastes is the heat/alcohol. Needless to say, I was very proud of her as well as finding myself in shock and awe.

The good: she loved the bourbon and when I find something she loves, I usually enjoy the rest of the evening :grin:

The bad: I can't find any anywhere and pub/bar prices will break me after too long (and I really like enjoying my evenings)

Anybody know of anyplace in CO where I might have a fighting chance of still finding this in the wild (I've scoured what I would think are the usual suspects in Denver and quite a few old bars-in-the-window type places)?

Maybe contact Josh Chinn over at RWB?

http://redwhiteandbourbon.com/2013/09/07/2013-old-forester-birthday-bourbon-review/

This review was several months ago, but he alluded to "cases and cases" on the shelves. Regardless, I wish you luck in your search. This has been an amazing pour for me.

We had cases and cases on the shelf back in September. They were gone a couple weeks later.

There is a place on this forum for wishlists.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.